goblet squats?

I have been doing a dumbbell routine that was suggested for me here on this site. I have worked hard for the last 4-5 weeks, lifting 1 day, running the next, for a total of 6 workouts a week, 1 rest day. Every week I have managed to increase my weight by at least 5 lbs, occasionally I will increase by 10 and only knockout 8 reps instead of 12. Last night I did goblet squats using the largest dumbbell I have which is 50lbs, I did 3 sets of 12 reps. It was pretty challenging, I'm not sure what to do though for next week when I hit that workout again. Should I do a different variant of the squat or do more reps? I guess it is called a hypertrophy program since i am focusing on increasing the weight every week, is that the correct term?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If you got the work done with the 50- then I would see about upping it.

And or- do one set at 60- one set at 55 and one set at 50.

Just because it's 3 sets of 12 doesn't mean the weight has to be same.

For what i'ts worth though- you should be able to goblet squat significantly more than that as you move upwards. I can do 75 lbs reasonably well- not for 12 reps consistently- but it's a manageable weight- so keep pushing onward and upward as you need.
    Adjust back down when it falls apart.

nothing has to be "fixed" at any weight. You CAN go get a different weight.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

For what i'ts worth though- you should be able to goblet squat significantly more than that as you move upwards. I can do 75 lbs reasonably well- not for 12 reps consistently- but it's a manageable weight- so keep pushing onward and upward as you need.

I think he's only using 50lbs because it's the largest dumbbell available. So he's looking for modifications to increase the difficulty without increasing the weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    do you have access to barbells, so that you could barbell squat?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    I think the issue is his highest weight dumbbell is 50lbs and he doesn't have access to more or barbell

I'd look to increase reps, or look at working up to single legged squats then add weights to those

I found this though ...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7FTyqTsrFU8
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Are your goals to get stronger?
  • Sued0nim
    That would kill my wrists
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I think the issue is his highest weight dumbbell is 50lbs and he doesn't have access to more or barbell

I'd look to increase reps, or look at working up to single legged squats then add weights to those

You are correct, thank you for the video I can definitely do that as I have plenty of lighter dumbbells, just the heaviest one is 50lbs. I also notice he is using a small board under his heals, is that to help engage the quads more?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,738 Member

No kidding. It's a good option for those with limited weights available, but it looks a bit painful to me. Then again, I'm stuck at 45 lbs for my goblet squats because I can't lift the 50 lb dumbbell off the rack. :blush: Guess I need to work on upper body strength.
  • Sued0nim

You are correct, thank you for the video I can definitely do that as I have plenty of lighter dumbbells, just the heaviest one is 50lbs. I also notice he is using a small board under his heals, is that to help engage the quads more?

It will be cos he doesn't have ankle mobility to get a2g probably ...it's a flexibility thing for some people
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

I think he's only using 50lbs because it's the largest dumbbell available. So he's looking for modifications to increase the difficulty without increasing the weight.
    Derp- I'm an a%%

I totally read that and by the time I got further down I forgot. My brain is melting today.

Can do them on the shoulder- instead of under the chin.

that's how I do my bulgarian split squats.

that's an option to- doing bulgarian split squats- certainly not a direct translation but something challenging.

OP also consider single leg squats and shrimp squats to increase level of difficulty.
  • Sued0nim
    BZAH10 wrote: »

No kidding. It's a good option for those with limited weights available, but it looks a bit painful to me. Then again, I'm stuck at 45 lbs for my goblet squats because I can't lift the 50 lb dumbbell off the rack. :blush: Guess I need to work on upper body strength.

I work in kg and have to put 24 - 28kg (50-60lb) on a step so that I can squat it up ...ain't no way I'm lifting that up into position

I am wondering if you could two hand lift the 50lb?
  • tulips_and_tea

I work in kg and have to put 24 - 28kg (50-60lb) on a step so that I can squat it up ...ain't no way I'm lifting that up into position

I am wondering if you could two hand lift the 50lb?

I've tried, sadly. The rack it's on is a bit low so I fear straining my back or something. If the rack was higher I could maybe move it from the rack to the bench, stand it up, then go from there. Mainly, I just need to get a bit more strength in my arms. Thank you for the tip, though!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member

It will be cos he doesn't have ankle mobility to get a2g probably ...it's a flexibility thing for some people

Is that a reasonable thing to do?

I have so much trouble squatting! My hips are flexible, my ankles *seem* to have reasonable mobility, but squatting is so freaking awkward. In high heels no problem. But I thought heels should not lift in squats?

On the original question, yes I'd put one 30lb in each hand, vertically positioned.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member

Can you ask someone to help? I'm using an 80-lb for goblet squats right now, and I cannot get it on/off the rack by myself either (our gym keeps them ridiculously high for some reason) and just ask someone to lift it off/put it back up for me. I am able to continue to lift heavier, and I'm fluffing someone's ego in the process...win-win, lol!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Last night I did goblet squats using the largest dumbbell I have which is 50lbs, I did 3 sets of 12 reps. It was pretty challenging, I'm not sure what to do though for next week when I hit that workout again. Should I do a different variant of the squat or do more reps?

I would hold 2 dumbbells down between the knees, sort of like this guy. You should be able to hold a lot of weight that way. If the weights hit the ground, stand on something like boards or bricks.
    You can still throw in a set of goblet squats at the end, when you're tired. :+1:

lcW50KO.gif
  • tulips_and_tea

Can you ask someone to help? I'm using an 80-lb for goblet squats right now, and I cannot get it on/off the rack by myself either (our gym keeps them ridiculously high for some reason) and just ask someone to lift it off/put it back up for me. I am able to continue to lift heavier, and I'm fluffing someone's ego in the process...win-win, lol!

I've thought about doing that because I know some of the guys there the same time as I am. Sorry, this is a distracted respond because as I'm typing that guy doing the 2-dumbbell squat keeps bouncing in and out of my screen!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Can you add some resistance bands in with your squat with the DBS ...or if u do the goblet elevated (lije on two benches) cab you add chains or rope with plate to give u more weight?