I swallowed a bug...

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    A dragonfly once flew in my mouth during a bicycle race ... I chose not to eat it.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Rabbi Ari Enkin wrote: "Although the Torah clearly prohibits the consumption of worms, or all other insects for that matter, there are, however, some interesting exceptions to the rule. The Torah’s prohibition on consuming insects applies only to those things that “live in the seas and in the streams”, “fly in the air” and “creep on the ground”.[1] So severe is the prohibition on eating any such creepy crawlers that often the consumption of a single insect is a concurrent violation of multiple prohibitions.[2]

Among the insects which are permitted to be eaten are grasshoppers, which the Torah explicitly permits.[3] Nevertheless, one will rarely see grasshoppers on the menus of kosher restaurants since it is unclear which of the many species of grasshoppers are the ones which the Torah actually" permits.

You're in trouble, man! :p
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    What about spider webs? Sometimes I walk into spider webs. I might eat a little.

yea, spider webs usually have trapped bugs in them... you definitely want count those and how do you count them when you've already eaten them. But what about the ones caught in your hair that you almost eat but they end up tangled and don't get eaten.

The life of a bug eater can be complicated. :# This is why I'm not a runner or a bug eater.. tracking bugs and other leggy creatures is WAY too much work for me. Or is there an app for it? It's enough trying to deal with the database as it is. Spiders and bugs have no packaging to fall back on. Oh except the mealworms they do.

I don't bike currently but when I do again I'll have to deal with eating bugs I'll be on the lookout for a bug app to track them. By then there'll be some fitness gadget to pre-measure/weigh what flies or crawls in your mouth so you can keep more accurate track.

Dang..water weight @cerise_noir @Tweaking_Time that hadn't even occurred to me. Hopefully it won't take more than a couple days to drop that. Well, that's really gonna again depend on the type of bug and how much sodium it contains.

Again... you really can't remember if it was a mosquito? Because it's pretty important to know who it bit before you and before them so you can calculate the sugars, sodium etc. in the earlier bites. Sheesh... maybe it's time to give up biking. Or give up logging.. one mess up? Yea definitely just throw the towel in!

This is a good point. If's it's last meat was a cat, glucose will be low in the blood. If it was a niety year old diabetic who just ate a popsicle, carbs may be high and sodium low. Or it might not of eaten...

The run was a good idea.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Were the insects grass fed?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I hope it wasn't a momma bug who will now never return home to her babies. All these posts, and not one person has thought of the children?
    Maybe the children hadn't left....
    And I am not talking about their expensive ocean front home, either.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    What about spider webs? Sometimes I walk into spider webs. I might eat a little.

yea, spider webs usually have trapped bugs in them... you definitely want count those and how do you count them when you've already eaten them. But what about the ones caught in your hair that you almost eat but they end up tangled and don't get eaten.

The life of a bug eater can be complicated. :# This is why I'm not a runner or a bug eater.. tracking bugs and other leggy creatures is WAY too much work for me. Or is there an app for it? It's enough trying to deal with the database as it is. Spiders and bugs have no packaging to fall back on. Oh except the mealworms they do.

I don't bike currently but when I do again I'll have to deal with eating bugs I'll be on the lookout for a bug app to track them. By then there'll be some fitness gadget to pre-measure/weigh what flies or crawls in your mouth so you can keep more accurate track.

Dang..water weight @cerise_noir @Tweaking_Time that hadn't even occurred to me. Hopefully it won't take more than a couple days to drop that. Well, that's really gonna again depend on the type of bug and how much sodium it contains.

Again... you really can't remember if it was a mosquito? Because it's pretty important to know who it bit before you and before them so you can calculate the sugars, sodium etc. in the earlier bites. Sheesh... maybe it's time to give up biking. Or give up logging.. one mess up? Yea definitely just throw the towel in!

This is a good point. If's it's last meat was a cat, glucose will be low in the blood. If it was a niety year old diabetic who just ate a popsicle, carbs may be high and sodium low. Or it might not of eaten...

The run was a good idea.

Dem Popsicles, man.
    But if it was a few shortbread cookies with tea....watch out.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh my! You would not believe the calories in bugs!
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    9t5exvym2w9z.jpg

Log it like this
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I hope it wasn't a momma bug who will now never return home to her babies. All these posts, and not one person has thought of the children?

The run was a good idea.

Dem Popsicles, man.

Then we need an estimate of how many babies she was carrying to determine total calories consumed. This is getting complicated.

OP, maybe next time, keep your mouth closed. It would be much easier! :laugh:
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (not sure where so may not be accurate) that we eat about a pound of bugs a year unintentionally. Guess we need to leave a few calories on the table to account for unintentional bug swallowing (which sounds vaguely obscene for some reason).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I read somewhere (not sure where so may not be accurate) that we eat about a pound of bugs a year unintentionally. Guess we need to leave a few calories on the table to account for unintentional bug swallowing (which sounds vaguely obscene for some reason).

This explains a LOT.
    *changes yearly deficit*

The run was a good idea.

Dem Popsicles, man.

Then we need an estimate of how many babies she was carrying to determine total calories consumed. This is getting complicated.

OP, maybe next time, keep your mouth closed. It would be much easier! :laugh:
    Someone needs to make an app. I keep hearing that 'there's an app for everything', but that bug cake is a lie.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Was it a gluten-free bug?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    FINAL ENTRY (I think)

I experimented with different riding positions because tonight was pretty buggy. I have quite a collection of bugs splattered on my cool riding shades if someone would like to do an entomological analysis of the remains. But I digress...

To get to the point - To not swallow a bug when cycling, I found the following technique worked best:
    • Maintain minimum speed of 13 mph
    • Chin tucked
    • Nostrils flared
    • Full duck lips with small breathing hole (remember I am a mouth breather)

Presto - I never swallowed a bug!

I thought about using a surgical mask or a bandanna like an old-west cowboy bank robber - but that would just look silly.

Time for bourbon! Cheers!

Bottoms up! FYI, the duck face is so yesterday. Flaring the nostrils could lead to inhaled bugs, but at least you won't be getting the extra calories.
    resized_oblivious-hipster-meme-generator-please-that-was-so-yesterday-8c1ff8.jpg