Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Eating clean: Eating food thats natural, minimally processed.
    Eating dirty: Eating food lacking vitamins, with high sugar count, added preservatives, mcdonalds, get the picture?

There really is such thing as eating clean and eating dirty. Get over it. :flowerforyou:

Please explain to me, if you can, what's "dirty" about sugar or preservatives? I don't get the picture. I openly challenge you to explain it to me.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I wish people would stop caring who calls what clean or unclean. Everyone has an opinion (yours is one as well) and it doesn't change anything.

Amen, stop preaching and telling everyone what to think and what to do. If someone wants to call a food clean, does it effect your progress? Probably not. Let them enjoy their organic clean produce without bashing them for not wanting to eat McDonalds, its just ridiculous. Go enjoy your IIFYM Philosophy. Do you and let them choose what philosophy works best for them.

No one gets bashed for eating clean. They get bashed for telling people lies and bullying using threats and fear.

This. And to add that it is usually the clean eaters that are quick to criticize the IIFYMers for eating twinkies/bacon/ice cream and generally maintaining a harsh attitude toward said foods, but rarely does an IIFYMer talk bad about eating fresh vegetables/quinoa/lean meats. Nobody bashes someone for NOT eating McDonalds, but those who admit to eating McDonalds are often quick to be bashed.

Lets first clarify I am in no way a "clean eater" though I try to eat food as close to its natural state as possible if I can. Or as some might say "clean". The more fruits, veggies, lean meats, fish, whole grains, legumes I can fit in the better. I also still splurge, especially on the weekends. In my short time on these boards I haven't seen anyone telling any IIFYMer how to eat, its been quite the opposite. What I have seen is someone bring up something as simple as not wanting to eat white rice and the attack begins on why she should just eat white rice. Or arguments over demonizing a stupid twinkie..which no one actually did. Some ( not all) of you guys argue over how nutrient dense a particular food is and sometimes it gets a bit silly. Stop arguing over how healthy a twinkie or thick slab of bacon is.

If it fits into your macros and you want to eat it claps to you.

clapping.gif

If another member says I'd rather find a better substitute it isn't a cue to argue over how great you think bacon and twinkies are. Its not really necessary to post the nutritional label to point out that "ooh see there is 1g of protein in a twinkie, must be good for you".
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Eating dirty: Eating food lacking vitamins, with high sugar count, added preservatives, mcdonalds, get the picture?

There really is such thing as eating clean and eating dirty. Get over it. :flowerforyou:

Please explain to me, if you can, what's "dirty" about sugar or preservatives? I don't get the picture. I openly challenge you to explain it to me.

Here's the thing, all the preservatives in foods nowadays, the unnatural additives, the added sugar, you can't even tell me everything these man made ingredients do to our bodies, can you? I'm not to going to go out of my way to fish out studies, I'm just going to share my experiences with food. Eating junk food like chips, mcds, candy bars, cokes(aka dirty food) all the time left me feeling tired and even irritable all the time. Fast forward, eating things closer to nature(aka clean food), and often, leaves me feeling full of energy, and so much happier. To me this speaks for itself. To me and so many others, this is the difference between eating clean and eating dirty. Some people want to eat clean, some people want to eat dirty, some in between. Ok. Who cares? To some people the clean/dirty philosophy is a way of life, why bash it? Theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. Now again, this has been my experience with clean/dirty foods. Guess what? It works for me, and many others to. We arnt just talking about weightloss, we're also talking about overall health. Some people prefer to look at the long term. Some people don't wanna chance the FACT that some these unnatural preservatives actually have potential of being DANGEROUS to our health. Some people just like to categorize our food this way... again, guess they're gonna have to get over it. :heart:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Ok. HOLD UP. :angry:

There's protein in Twinkies?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Ok. HOLD UP. :angry:

There's protein in Twinkies?

Fantastic! I feel better about the two I ate today :love:
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

Here's the thing, all the preservatives in foods nowadays, the unnatural additives, the added sugar, you can't even tell me everything these man made ingredients do to our bodies, can you? I'm not to going to go out of my way to fish out studies, I'm just going to share my experiences with food. Eating junk food like chips, mcds, candy bars, cokes(aka dirty food) all the time left me feeling tired and even irritable all the time. Fast forward, eating things closer to nature(aka clean food), and often, leaves me feeling full of energy, and so much happier. To me this speaks for itself. To me and so many others, this is the difference between eating clean and eating dirty. Some people want to eat clean, some people want to eat dirty, some in between. Ok. Who cares? To some people the clean/dirty philosophy is a way of life, why bash it? Theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. Now again, this has been my experience with clean/dirty foods. Guess what? It works for me, and many others to. We arnt just talking about weightloss, we're also talking about overall health. Some people prefer to look at the long term. Some people don't wanna chance the FACT that some these unnatural preservatives actually have potential of being DANGEROUS to our health. Some people just like to categorize our food this way... again, guess they're gonna have to get over it. :heart:

Why don't YOU prove it. Thats always the typical defense "prove it" show me the money"...really?? Please stop all ready. There are plenty of studied on why processed, refined foods, sugar additives, access sugar consumption..is not healthy for you. Stop with the whole "the twinkie is so healthy" argument.

over-the-top-eye-roll-o.gif
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Juicy burger from Mcdonalds? Bleh.
  • brendapalmer146
    brendapalmer146 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Amen! It's "those" people that make me feel guilty because I like to eat. You know what, I've been eating things in moderation and I've been losing. There is no point in cutting everything out of your life because you will relapse at some point and I am doing this as part of the rest of my life, not a temporary fix that as soon as I get to my goal that's it, back to the way I was before! I totally agree with your post and thank you for posting this!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If you dropped your hotdog in the sand at the beach, would it not be dirty?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If you dropped your hotdog in the sand at the beach, would it not be dirty?

But of course, but I would still call the 5 second rule!! Little dirt never killed anybody.... :drinker:
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that... Based on the fact I was still eating relatively healthy since March 2012 up until June 21st 2013 and was only able to maintain my weight! Which I was thankful for, but I still had a couple of kilos I wanted to lose but couldn't. I tried changing up my exercise routine to more weight training, and then trying HIIT and cardio etc. I tried limiting dairy as per personal trainer and it didnt work, and I work hard to stay on track and exercise minimum 5-6 times per week.

I have only just shifted my focus to changing my diet to being much "cleaner" I would say 90% clean and 10% unclean (usually for things like marinades, etc.) I also stay within my macro nutrients and occasionally have a cheat meal once per week but its nothing terrible. In 3 weeks I've lost 2 kg I never could and I believe it's all to do with eating much much cleaner. Exercise is the same in terms of a combo of weights, cardio, HIIT going 5-6 per week.

Therefore, all I can say, as much as what you're saying seems correct, I tried that with eating whatever as long as I stayed in macros and it didnt work for me... Even though my choices were still healthy (but I'd have takeaway pizza, macdonalds occasionally icecream etc.) but for me IT didn't work and only MAINTAINED my weight. This I believe everyone is different &clean is working for me! And consequently I am getting heaps more vegetables and nutrients into my meals and have learned a whole lot of great easy and yummy 'clean' or cleaner meals that keep me full for longer :-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in...for the ongoing clean eating vs IIFYM debate that never stops...!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Therefore, all I can say, as much as what you're saying seems correct, I tried that with eating whatever as long as I stayed in macros and it didnt work for me..

I see your diary is closed.

Mind opening your diary so the people of MFP can evaluate that claim for themselves?

My diary is open, for instance.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Some resources: I wouldn't say these are conclusive IMO about chemical additives/food additive safety but they do raise questions. And yes, these are reliable sources. Would I put down my twinkie over them - maybe not, not if I really wanted the darn twinkie. But it certainly appears that avoiding foods with additives might not be the worst idea. Form your own conclusions, but if you want studies and research they are out there. I skipped a few that were anecdotal. I personally don't care what people do - but I thought for all those who keep wanting "evidence" - there you go.

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/chem/en/

Albeit a rat study:
    El-Wahab, H., & Moram, G. S. E. (2013). Toxic effects of some synthetic food colorants and/or flavor additives on male rats. Toxicology and Industrial Health, 29(2), 224-32. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0748233711433935

Food atdditive affects leptin levels via inflammation:
    Ciardi, C., Jenny, M., Tschoner, A., Ueberall, F., Patsch, J., Pedrini, M., . . . Fuchs, D. (2012). Food additives such as sodium sulphite, sodium benzoate and curcumin inhibit leptin release in lipopolysaccharide-treated murine adipocytes in vitro. The British Journal of Nutrition, 107(6), 826-33. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0007114511003680

“During the 1970s, Feingold [9, 10] estimated that between 30 and 50% of hyperactive children exhibited a dramatic therapeutic improvement if they avoided food additives and natural salicilates. Similarly, Supramaniam and Warner [11] reported that 56% of children with angio-oedema and/or urticaria reacted to challenge with food additives including food colours. Egger et al. [lb] reported, moreover, that in their scrupulously careful elimination diet and double-blind placebo challenge study some 80% of their sample responded to both the elimination of and challenge with food colours and other dietary constituents. Michaelsson and Juhlin [12] also found that 39 of 52 (i.e. 75% of) chronic urticariacs responded to provocation tests with food colours.”
    Millstone, E. (1997). Adverse reactions to food additives: The extent and severity of the problem. Journal of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine, 7(4), 323-332. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/215624482?accountid=28023

“Artificial colours or a sodium benzoate preservative (or both) in the diet result in increased hyperactivity in 3-year-old and 8/9-year-old children in the general population.”
    McCann, D., Barrett, A., Cooper, A., Crumpler, D., Dalen, L., Grimshaw, K., . . . Stevenson, J. (2007). Food additives and hyperactive behaviour in 3-year-old and 8/9-year-old children in the community: A randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial. The Lancet, 370(9598), 1560-7. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/199008280?accountid=28023

“High total habitual dietary P intake affected S-PTH unfavourably. Furthermore, phosphate additives may have more harmful effects on bone than other P sources, as indicated by higher mean S-PTH concentration among participants who consumed AP-containing foods. Because of the high dietary P intake and current upward trend in consumption of processed foods in Western countries, these findings may have important public health implications.”
    Kemi, V. E., Rita, H. J., Kärkkäinen, M.,U.M., Viljakainen, H. T., Laaksonen, M. M., Outila, T. A., & Lamberg-Allardt, C. (2009). Habitual high phosphorus intakes and foods with phosphate additives negatively affect serum parathyroid hormone concentration: A cross-sectional study on healthy premenopausal women. Public Health Nutrition, 12(10), 1885-92. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1368980009004819

I wonder what else they think is OK:
    “Certain other important concerns have been raised by academic scientists about the FDA's oversight of food additives. Among them are reservations about the agency's primary reliance on industry-sponsored toxicity studies. The FDA generally appears to rely primarily on these studies rather than on investigations performed by academic scientists published in peer-reviewed journals.61 This may stem from the agency's apparent preference for studies completed using FDA-approved or standardized protocols and laboratory practices.
    This issue has recently come to a head with the case of bisphenol A. Industry studies using standard testing protocols showed no significant problems with the use of bisphenol A, but published academic studies raised health concerns, though there is some controversy over whether those studies are sufficient to warrant regulatory action.11-15,39-42,61 “
    Olson, E. D. (2011). Protecting food safety: More needs to be done to keep pace with scientific advances and the changing food supply. Health Affairs, 30(5), 915-23. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/868915474?accountid=28023

A mouse study – which I don’t completely believe relates directly to humans however here is the study source:
    Bhattacharyya, S., O-sullivan, I., Katyal, S., Unterman, T., & Tobacman, J. K. (2012). Exposure to the common food additive carrageenan leads to glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and inhibition of insulin signalling in HepG2 cells and C57BL/6J mice. Diabetologia, 55(1), 194-203. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00125-011-2333-z

“susceptible individuals,
    the frequency and intensity of allergic responses to envi-
    ronmental and/or dietary allergens may increase in an
    environment rich in antioxidants. Extending our previ-
    ously published hypothesis [69] , it appears that especially
    antioxidants added in high doses as preservatives and
    colorants may play a major role”

Zaknun, D., Schroecksnadel, S., Kurz, K., & Fuchs, D. (2012). Potential role of antioxidant food supplements, preservatives and colorants in the pathogenesis of allergy and asthma. International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, 157(2), 113-24. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000329137
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until I can tell my grandchildren that I survived the great anti-clean eating movement of MFP.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I posted the oft requested research and the post just died... wow. So nobody really wants science? I like science. I think they just want to argue. OK, carry on... I'll go back to lurking. Resume saving people from themselves and fighting about it.
  • Paleo_wolf
    Paleo_wolf Posts: 28
    Options
    At the end of the day who really gives a damn? Do what works for you....if that means eatting veggies all day good for you or if you rather eat ice cream all day, even better. Everyone has their own opinion and everyone is different! What works for one, might not work for another. If labelling certain foods as "dirty" or "unhealthy" helps out or makes it easier for someone why the hell not. How about we worry about our own goals and stop focusing on something you have no impact on.
  • magerum
    Options

So you have only personal anecdotal stories?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Amen! It's "those" people that make me feel guilty because I like to eat. You know what, I've been eating things in moderation and I've been losing. There is no point in cutting everything out of your life because you will relapse at some point and I am doing this as part of the rest of my life, not a temporary fix that as soon as I get to my goal that's it, back to the way I was before! I totally agree with your post and thank you for posting this!

Clean eating is not really about weight loss. Whether or wrong, it's about health more than fat. Weight is but one health factor.

And you saying " There is no point in cutting everything out of your life because you will relapse" is just as preachy as those you say are trying to make you feel guilty. If you are going to complain about the pot, don't be the kettle.
  • magerum
    Options
    I can't believe I posted the oft requested research and the post just died... wow. So nobody really wants science? I like science. I think they just want to argue. OK, carry on... I'll go back to lurking. Resume saving people from themselves and fighting about it.

Let us see, you posted at 10:15 PM and came back in at 8:00 am and were shocked you didn't have replies yet? Most people sleep, prepare for work, go to work etc... during that time.