Replies

• LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Oops. Somehow this doubleposted.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1048284-no-such-thing-as-fattening-food-or-inherently-bad-food
    No Foods are Inherently Fattening!
    Don’t believe me? Consider this study showing that “reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.” -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19246357

Or perhaps this study which found “diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.”-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413101

Still skeptical? Mull over the astounding results of Professor Mark Haub who lost 27lbs and improved markers of health while eating a diet solely consisting of Twinkies.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

The evidence is clear: No foods are inherently fattening!
    Flexible dieting

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11707550
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Proponents of 'clean eating' - understand that it's considered acceptable to criticise 'fad diets' on here generally.
    Often the criticism is that there's no scientific basis for it to work above basic calorie in vs calorie out.
    So perhaps it's worth 'defending' your position with some scientific evidence :).

What exactly is it you want clean eaters to defend?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1048284-no-such-thing-as-fattening-food-or-inherently-bad-food
    Don’t believe me? Consider this study showing that “reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.” -

Or perhaps this study which found “diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.”-

Still skeptical? Mull over the astounding results of Professor Mark Haub who lost 27lbs and improved markers of health while eating a diet solely consisting of Twinkies.

Flexible dieting

What does any of that have to do with clean eating?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Flexible dieting

What does any of that have to do with clean eating?

A common refrain from clean eaters is that foods they disapprove of as not being "clean" are inherently bad or fattening.
  • StaticNomad
    Options
    posted by Seefylol:
    Obese people are obese because they are eating above their daily calorie intake. Not because of what they eat. Seriously..... I give up.

I disagree with both your original post and this comment.

I am obese. I do not eat over my daily calorie. In fact, it's extremely hard for me to meet my daily recommended calories because I dislike eating so very very much. It's a PITA, in my opinion. I have other things I'd rather be doing than grocery shopping, planning meals, balancing the food budget, cooking over a hot stove, sitting and chewing foods, etc...

I'd rather be outside, walking or even running or riding my bike with my family. I'd rather be hiking up the side of a mountain. I'd rather be reading a book with one of my kids. I'd rather be working on a science experiment with my kids (as I homeschool them and as greatly enjoy learning) and watching their reactions as they just learned something new! I'd rather be playing a WiiFit game and challenging myself to see if I can break my last record while blasting away calories. I'd rather be watching a comedy movie with my husband, and watching him crack up so hard that he has tears in his eyes. I'd rather be telling a good friend a funny story. I'd rather be doing anything at all... anything... than sitting and stuffing my face with ANY kind of food.

Why? Is it because I hate food? Nope. Not at all. Is it because I fear it's the reason I am fat? Nope. Because it's not the reason, as some ignorant people like yourself would assume. Is it because I am lazy? Well, considering all the things I prefer to do... I think it's safe to say I'm pretty well motivated.

So why am I obese? It's because of three things - 1) Because I often struggle to meet my daily calorie limit at all.... and my body keeps thinking I'm starving. I literally have to force myself to near constantly think about food, which is highly annoying to me. 2) Because I have RA, and I move much slower than I did when I was younger, so burning those annoying calories I managed to eat at all is a serious challenge. Imagine your knees, hips, ankles, shoulders, spin, wrists, elbows, and neck - all being so stiff that moving them feels like you might shatter into a million little pieces. Sure, I could choke down some pills to mask the symptoms that are devouring my body slowly... but I chose not to. I choose to fight and keep moving, even if it is slower than all the people around me. At least I'm not giving up and accepting a wheelchair as my only mode of transportation. But hey... I must be obese because I just stuff my face with high fat/high calorie foods all day and every day. Right? 3) Because I am built differently than you, and genetically, it runs in my family (especially the women) to store fat exceptionally easily. Yep.... I figure I am a misplaced Inuit that should have been born and raised in Alaska, rather than Texas, because I'm sure built for the cold weather! But genes have nothing to do with weight either... right?

And concerning dirty foods not existing? Tell that to my RA and my intestines. I bet you can eat sausage or even drink a cup of coffee without feeling like you've just been placed in some medieval torture wheel with your intestines slowly being pulled out through your belly button. You probably don't break out into hives and become uber aggressive when you come into contact with shellfish either, huh? I bet you are the lucky one who has never gotten a hold of a bad jar of peanut butter laced with salmonella and spent four days vomiting your toes up. You've probably never had a bologna and cheese sandwich which resulted in your skin turning so oily that you had breakouts for two days that scarred your face - just from the oil in that one sandwich with processed meat on it, and you ate for the first time in a year after deciding that since you've had clear skin for all this time, eating fruits and veggies and lean meats, one bologna sandwich isn't going to hurt.

You see.... while it's not dirty for you to eat - it could be dirty for someone else to eat. What you proclaim as not dirty, may in fact shut my body down because it can't handle it. And what I proclaim to be clean, may in fact be something your body can't deal with at all.

Know what I get tired of? People trying to cram the world into a one size fits all image of what to do and how we all work.

The only good thing I can say is that it's good you are giving up and allowing people to do/think for themselves without correcting them for having an opinion based on their own experiences. Oh, and try widening the narrow point of your thinking. You might find that obesity has many causes - not just one, and not necessarily even involving the one you believe is the sole cause.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    A common refrain from clean eaters is that foods they disapprove of as not being "clean" are inherently bad or fattening.

That would be from those that don't really understand what clean eating is. Which seems to be most MFP members. Or maybe like other ideas it has become so used and misused and bastardized over the years that it no longer has meaning.

While the clean eating philosophy does see overly processed or unnatural foods as bad (or unclean), it is not about fattening or unfattening.
  • jonnythan
    Options

That would be from those that don't really understand what clean eating is. Which seems to be most MFP members.

Perhaps you can convince them they don't understand clean eating.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    You need to do some homework before you spout nonsense not everyone wants chemicals dont gripe at others for eating how they want and do your own thing get off your high horse.

Spouting nonsense? Pot meet kettle, unless you can provide a list of all these chemical free foods people are eating

flip over the package and read. Any of that sound like food?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Endor?
    Everyone loves an ewok.

Otherwise - nothing, it's a question of what they ARE defending.

StaticNomad:
    On one side you say you struggle to eat enough calories.
    On the other you say you struggle to burn enough calories.
    Every study I've seen in to the area has shown that the less you eat, the more weight you lose.
    Your weight loss may slow down, but despite all the 'starvation mode' claims, every time it's tested, eating under the calories you burn (even if that's a bit reduced) leads to weight loss.

I do certainly agree that some people have specific allergies and requirements and should thus avoid things that cause trouble.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You need to do some homework before you spout nonsense not everyone wants chemicals dont gripe at others for eating how they want and do your own thing get off your high horse.

Spouting nonsense? Pot meet kettle, unless you can provide a list of all these chemical free foods people are eating

Way to avoid the question, would you eat something with these ingredients?

"Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. "
  • jonnythan
    Options

The package of what, exactly?
  • meeper123
    Options
    Endor?
    Everyone loves an ewok.

Otherwise - nothing, it's a question of what they ARE defending.

StaticNomad:
    On one side you say you struggle to eat enough calories.
    On the other you say you struggle to burn enough calories.
    Every study I've seen in to the area has shown that the less you eat, the more weight you lose.
    Your weight loss may slow down, but despite all the 'starvation mode' claims, every time it's tested, eating under the calories you burn (even if that's a bit reduced) leads to weight loss.

I do certainly agree that some people have specific allergies and requirements and should thus avoid things that cause trouble.

Its my firm believe that being healthy is way more important than a scale. I also eat the way I do for ethical reasons but I am not going there because I also don't believe and pushing my spiritual believes on people. But health needs to drive you more than vanity

am I saying eat like an angel all the time uh no but try to be at least a little better
  • meeper123
    Options

anything you want to put into your body its at least good to know whats going in
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a *kitten*?
  • meeper123
    Options

Way to avoid the question, would you eat something with these ingredients?

"Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. "

lol you mean an apple last I checked they don't screw with those too often also that's not on the back of an apple now is it

**I buy non gmo and organic apples
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm eating clean today, you can check.
  • bcattoes
    Options

That would be from those that don't really understand what clean eating is. Which seems to be most MFP members.

Perhaps you can convince them they don't understand clean eating.

That is likely beyond my powers of persuasion.

But at it's core is a pretty simple philosopy. Eat food in it's natural form. It doesn't matter if it is labeled natural, or labeled at all, or if it comes in a package. It doesn't matter how much fat or sugar or how many calories it contains. It matters how close it is to it's natural form.

Pop-Tarts, for example, are not clean. It doesn't matter if you can lose weight easier when you eat them. It doesn't matter if they are fattening. It matters that they are not food in it's natural form. Natural = clean. The further a food deviates from natural, the less clean it is.
  • jonnythan
    Options

anything you want to put into your body its at least good to know whats going in

Well you asked if anything on it sounds like food, so it would be helpful if you had a particular item in mind.

However, you don't, so let's take a Pop-Tart:

ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, DEXTROSE, SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL (WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS), SUGAR, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CRACKER MEAL, WHEAT STARCH, SALT, DRIED STRAWBERRIES, DRIED PEARS, DRIED APPLES, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CITRIC ACID, CORN CEREAL, GELATIN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL†, CARAMEL COLOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, XANTHAN GUM, MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, TURMERIC COLOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RED #40, NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), YELLOW #6, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE #1.

Flour sounds like a food. The other stuff in the flour, like niacin and riboflavin, are all vitamins and minerals. Corn syrup, dextrose, sugar, and HFCS are carbohydrates, and therefore foods. Soybean and palm oil are oil made of fatty acids and therefore also food.

Those ingredients - flour, sugars, and oils - make up the vast majority of the Pop-tart.

The other stuff are mostly things to make those ingredients taste and look better as well as be consistent and not spoil quickly. Cracker meal, starch, salt, dried fruit concentrates, baking soda, citric acid, corn cereal, gelatin, caramel color, etc. A few colors and preservatives, along with some more vitamins and minerals, and you have a Pop-tart.
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    YES! This for the win. (oops, it didn't quote - in response to "LOUD NOISES")