More plateau advice

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you have not lost weight in 5-6 months then you are eating too much. Eat in a deficit and you will lose weight.

As noted in my post, I am always meeting/exceeding my deficit. That's why this is so confusing. And that's why I started weighing all my food on a scale in case alternative measurements were not accurate enough.

Calorie calculators are estimates based off of averages of the general population. They may not be accurate for you.

Another big thing is making sure the entries you select in the database are accurate. I find many entries that are so incorrect that it's ridiculous (including when I use the barcode scanner). Double check that the entries you log are accurate with the back of the package or the USDA.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Consider eliminating anything that's 'cheat foods'. Eat for the body and lifestyle you want to maintain.

Have you been to a doctor to check-see if other things are going on?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Agree with taking measurements. The scale can be deceptive and is not always a true reflection of your body composition.
    How close are you to your goal weight? If you are within 20-25 pounds you may see a slow down from what you were accustomed to. Try changing your calories to 0.5 pounds loss per week and see if this helps.

Nowhere near it. I need to lose another 100lbs or so. Lol. For sure I expect to see a slow down but not this soon. 70lbs is a lot to lose of course but I still have a long way to go. Thank you for the advice! I will continue body measurements.

Sometimes just taking a diet break can help if you have been in a deficit for a while. Maybe try not logging for a week and see what happens.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're not willing to open your diary?
  • carnivalnights
    carnivalnights Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bmoremama wrote: »
    How did you adjust your macros? I would up protein significantly, cut out any foods that could lead to inflammation to see if they have that effect on you (I cut out dairy, gluten, added sugar - I also cut out most packaged foods because I'm allergic to a preservative in many of them). And weight train. I'm down about 80 pounds depending on the day.

I was told by my nutritionist to decrease carbs and up protein, but that didn't seem to help. I have done that for about a month or so with no difference in loss. Because I don't eat red meat, I actually can't cut out something like dairy because it's where I get a lot of my protein (eggs, yogurt, etc.) but thank you for the tip. I could try gluten! You never know. I don't eat any packaged foods either. Congrats on your 80! :)
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    What RunRutheeRun said.

If you haven't lost any weight in months, nor gained it, then you are eating at maintenance. The calories you take in through food are the same as the calories you are expending through being alive, daily activity and exercising.

Now it may be that this seems unfair, that you feel you are not eating enough for it to be maintenance - but this does seem to be the case from what you are saying. And it may be that there is a medical reason for it or that you are one of the few who does have a slow metabolism, or another condition that means you have a very efficient body that does not need much food.

But even if that is so (and it may be), how would that impact you? Are you willing to increase your deficit more to lose more weight?

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Go back over the last 30 days in your Reports. Accumulate your total calorie deficit. If your monthly calorie deficit recorded with as much accuracy as you claim is less than 10000 calories, I will assert that you likely are experiencing water retention for any of the plethora of reasons that afflict women. If your monthly deficit totals up to 20,000 or more, I'm flummoxed.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. People need to think of their holistic calorie count. It's not like your body simply starts fresh every day. Look at your eating over a longer period of time.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    A couple questions:
    1. How soon after you work out do you refuel ?
    2. What do you refuel with?
    3. Have you tried high intensity interval training (HIIT) as part of your workout regime?
    4. How soon after your last meal do you go to bed?

Part of the solution MAY lie in the timing of your meals relative to exercise. The other part may lie in the fact that your body has acclimated to regular workout routines and needs to be shocked by high intensity interval training (HIIT)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Open diary would get more help than just the typical general advice that you've already gotten.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Think you need a diet break. Every time I take one, I lose more weight afterward.
    http://rippedbody.jp/diet-break/
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think you might have to lower your calories, unfortunately :(

It's worth a shot again, I guess! Thank you. :)
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Unless you have celiac disease there is no reason to eliminate gluten. Gluten free foods still have as many calories as the foods you would substitute them for. If someone has eliminated gluten and lost weight it is because of a calorie deficit and nothing else.

Lol, thank you. :) Guess that's out then.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    Go back over the last 30 days in your Reports. Accumulate your total calorie deficit. If your monthly calorie deficit recorded with as much accuracy as you claim is less than 10000 calories, I will assert that you likely are experiencing water retention for any of the plethora of reasons that afflict women. If your monthly deficit totals up to 20,000 or more, I'm flummoxed.

Good tip - thank you. Will try this!
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    What RunRutheeRun said.

If you haven't lost any weight in months, nor gained it, then you are eating at maintenance. The calories you take in through food are the same as the calories you are expending through being alive, daily activity and exercising.

Now it may be that this seems unfair, that you feel you are not eating enough for it to be maintenance - but this does seem to be the case from what you are saying. And it may be that there is a medical reason for it or that you are one of the few who does have a slow metabolism, or another condition that means you have a very efficient body that does not need much food.

But even if that is so (and it may be), how would that impact you? Are you willing to increase your deficit more to lose more weight?

I agree. That's certainly what it seems like. I just don't know why or what to adjust to fix it given that I've already made so many adjustments. The reason I went through a nutritionist is because when I use weight loss calculators, the calories it tells me I need to be eating is obscene - anywhere from 2,000-3,000/day depending on what I enter as my goal weight. If I ate 3,000 calories a day, I'm pretty sure I'd blow up like a balloon, especially considering I am eating less than half that right now and not losing anything at all. How do I make good calls to these changes without using a weight loss calculator? Any tips?

It's just a matter of decreasing even more than advised. I'm of course willing to increase my deficit if that is what it takes.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    A couple questions:
    1. How soon after you work out do you refuel ?
    2. What do you refuel with?
    3. Have you tried high intensity interval training (HIIT) as part of your workout regime?
    4. How soon after your last meal do you go to bed?

Part of the solution MAY lie in the timing of your meals relative to exercise. The other part may lie in the fact that your body has acclimated to regular workout routines and needs to be shocked by high intensity interval training (HIIT)

1. & 2. I eat dinner about an hour or so after my workouts. Usually consists of chicken (or other form of protein like beans or eggs - I do not eat red meat) or sometimes shrimp, vegetables/salad and sometimes a carb/starch like brown rice, sweet/russet potato, etc. On the days I workout I try not to have vegetarian meals because I know I need the heavier protein (while not exceeding my carbs).
    3. I have, but I can only do low impact at the moment. I find it really fun but very difficult to find low impact HIIT. I have a few that are mixed into my cardio programs.
    4. About 4 hours after my last meal.