More plateau advice

Options

Replies

• carnivalnights
    carnivalnights Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    TarahByte wrote: »
    Think you need a diet break. Every time I take one, I lose more weight afterward.
    http://rippedbody.jp/diet-break/

Thank you for this tip!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    You keep responding to posts, but specifically ignoring the ones asking if you'd be willing to open your diary for more tailored advice. In my opinion that screams information is being omitted. If you don't want to open it up, the least you could do is say you don't want to do so. In any case, you're eating at a deficit on paper, but not for your body, as stated earlier in the thread.

and there was me thinking i was invisible!!! :flowerforyou:
  • carnivalnights
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You keep responding to posts, but specifically ignoring the ones asking if you'd be willing to open your diary for more tailored advice. In my opinion that screams information is being omitted. If you don't want to open it up, the least you could do is say you don't want to do so. In any case, you're eating at a deficit on paper, but not for your body, as stated earlier in the thread.

I will edit my post to state I am not opening my diary. And it's not because I am omitting information but to me it's a very private thing because I also write notes that I just am not comfortable with the general public seeing. On top of that, people on here can be very critical and I'm not looking to be attacked. I'm sorry. I get what you're saying and I understand it can be helpful.

I understand the statement about the deficit for my body but that's why I am here then... to ask how I might do that (with perhaps more info than just "cut calories").
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Was just reading an article on MSN and here's a snippet on plateaus:

"First, you were losing weight like crazy. Now? The scale won’t budge! “What you need to do is give yourself a couple of days of rest and bump up your calories by 10 percent. When you lose weight quickly, your body often responds by releasing hormones to increase your appetite and store more fat. That's a survival instinct meant to help us conserve fuel during times of famine. You can outsmart it by eating a little more and resting. That usually helps jump-start your metabolism again,” explains Jillian <Michaels>. A weight loss plan that involves eating more? We’re totally on board with that!"

No idea if the science behind the statement is true, but thought I'd throw it out there. This was part of "30 Weight Loss Tips from Jillian Michaels" http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/weightloss/30-weight-loss-tips-from-jillian-michaels/ss-BBuyLTh?li=BBnba9O
  • carnivalnights
    edited August 2016
    Options

As stated, I will edit my post to state I am not opening my diary but to me, "Open your diary" is not helpful advice. In fact, it's more like a command. I'm not comfortable with it and it has nothing to do with what I am eating. I keep private notes in there and am just not comfortable having it open to the public. To me it's like an actual diary. It's not a big deal. No need to scrutinize.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

As stated, I will edit my post to state I am not opening my diary but to me, "Open your diary" is not helpful advice. In fact, it's more like a command. I'm not comfortable with it and it has nothing to do with what I am eating. I keep private notes in there and am just not comfortable having it open to the public. To me it's like an actual diary. It's not a big deal. No need to scrutinize.

asking you to open your diary is very good advice, because its the best way for people to be able to help you based on what you're consuming....

if you don't want to, that's fine, but people are limited in what they can offer as suggestions without that information.

This.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    kschramm7 wrote: »
    Was just reading an article on MSN and here's a snippet on plateaus:

"First, you were losing weight like crazy. Now? The scale won’t budge! “What you need to do is give yourself a couple of days of rest and bump up your calories by 10 percent. When you lose weight quickly, your body often responds by releasing hormones to increase your appetite and store more fat. That's a survival instinct meant to help us conserve fuel during times of famine. You can outsmart it by eating a little more and resting. That usually helps jump-start your metabolism again,” explains Jillian <Michaels>. A weight loss plan that involves eating more? We’re totally on board with that!"

No idea if the science behind the statement is true, but thought I'd throw it out there. This was part of "30 Weight Loss Tips from Jillian Michaels" http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/weightloss/30-weight-loss-tips-from-jillian-michaels/ss-BBuyLTh?li=BBnba9O

Interesting info. A couple other people have said similar things. It is perhaps worth a try even though the word "more" scares me when it comes to calories, haha. My nutritionist gave me some ideas to jump start my system (working out more times per week, drastically changing the type of workout, etc.) but I have not tried this one. Thank you for the article. :)
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    Consider eliminating anything that's 'cheat foods'. Eat for the body and lifestyle you want to maintain.

Have you been to a doctor to check-see if other things are going on?

I only have take-out once a week, a dinner with my father. And it's nothing extreme. Something like Swiss Chalet (rotisserie chicken place here in Canada). I agree with your statement though.

Yes. I went specifically about this and got all my regular blood work, like thyroid, and also had my testosterone tested which was fine too. I don't believe it is anything medical. Or at least nothing that is showing up in blood work...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

asking you to open your diary is very good advice, because its the best way for people to be able to help you based on what you're consuming....

if you don't want to, that's fine, but people are limited in what they can offer as suggestions without that information.

Totally in agreement with this. After reading everything about this case, the only option is to look at the diary entries.

edited add: I do understand that you do not want to do this, but its only a few minutes (you can give a window of say 15 - 20 minutes for it to be open and then close it) for some experts to view things that can probably be pointed out in a matter of minutes and possibly solve this puzzle for you.
  • carnivalnights
    Options

I understand and that's fine. Never said it was bad advice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you said it wasn't helpful advice... it really is!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

well you sort of said it was NOT helpful advice.. It's great and helpful advice because a problem can be solved quickly instead of grasping at straws for clues and ideas on how to solve a very very very long plataue!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

In the past when I used MFP to log food (I use a different app now), I was afraid to open my diary because I thought I would be criticized for the type of food I ate. When I opened my diary, nobody cared about food type but pointed out errors in my logging. I followed the advice, which were logging errors (underestimating calories) and got back on track. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

In the past when I used MFP to log food (I use a different app now), I was afraid to open my diary because I thought I would be criticized for the type of food I ate. When I opened my diary, nobody cared about food type but pointed out errors in my logging. I followed the advice, which were logging errors (underestimating calories) and got back on track. :)

My diary is closed like this too. But I would open it in a heart beat after being sooooo many months in a stall, I would probably be bald by now tearing out my own hair.. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What is your exercise plan specifically?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png