More plateau advice

Options

Replies

• carnivalnights
    carnivalnights Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Maxematics wrote: »
    You keep responding to posts, but specifically ignoring the ones asking if you'd be willing to open your diary for more tailored advice. In my opinion that screams information is being omitted. If you don't want to open it up, the least you could do is say you don't want to do so. In any case, you're eating at a deficit on paper, but not for your body, as stated earlier in the thread.

and there was me thinking i was invisible!!! :flowerforyou:

As stated, I will edit my post to state I am not opening my diary but to me, "Open your diary" is not helpful advice. In fact, it's more like a command. I'm not comfortable with it and it has nothing to do with what I am eating. I keep private notes in there and am just not comfortable having it open to the public. To me it's like an actual diary. It's not a big deal. No need to scrutinize.

asking you to open your diary is very good advice, because its the best way for people to be able to help you based on what you're consuming....

if you don't want to, that's fine, but people are limited in what they can offer as suggestions without that information.

Totally in agreement with this. After reading everything about this case, the only option is to look at the diary entries.

edited add: I do understand that you do not want to do this, but its only a few minutes (you can give a window of say 15 - 20 minutes for it to be open and then close it) for some experts to view things that can probably be pointed out in a matter of minutes and possibly solve this puzzle for you.

The other reason I don't want to open the diary is because I have been already through weeks and months worth of food diaries with my nutritionist, on a weekly basis, and have streamlined my food. I'm not saying people here won't know what they're talking about because you don't need a license to know about nutrition (though already in this thread several people have disagreed about certain things) - but I trust that I have worked on this part enough because there has been someone who has looked at every single entry for weeks and said it's fine. As for everything else, sure, that's up in the air. Obviously my deficit is not enough as calculated by MyFitnessPal. I need to know what it should be though. I can't just keep guessing. That hasn't worked. When I decreased my calories because I wasn't eating enough, I was losing too slowly. When I was told to increase them, the scale stopped moving all together.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    You keep responding to posts, but specifically ignoring the ones asking if you'd be willing to open your diary for more tailored advice. In my opinion that screams information is being omitted. If you don't want to open it up, the least you could do is say you don't want to do so. In any case, you're eating at a deficit on paper, but not for your body, as stated earlier in the thread.

As stated, I will edit my post to state I am not opening my diary but to me, "Open your diary" is not helpful advice. In fact, it's more like a command. I'm not comfortable with it and it has nothing to do with what I am eating. I keep private notes in there and am just not comfortable having it open to the public. To me it's like an actual diary. It's not a big deal. No need to scrutinize.

asking you to open your diary is very good advice, because its the best way for people to be able to help you based on what you're consuming....

if you don't want to, that's fine, but people are limited in what they can offer as suggestions without that information.

I understand and that's fine. Never said it was bad advice.

you said it wasn't helpful advice... it really is!

In the past when I used MFP to log food (I use a different app now), I was afraid to open my diary because I thought I would be criticized for the type of food I ate. When I opened my diary, nobody cared about food type but pointed out errors in my logging. I followed the advice, which were logging errors (underestimating calories) and got back on track. :)

Understood. I don't think anyone could find things to criticize since how and what I ate are very basic for weight loss. But the logging errors, I understand, that could help. I try to use verified entries but obviously nothing is error-free entirely.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Totally in agreement with this. After reading everything about this case, the only option is to look at the diary entries.

edited add: I do understand that you do not want to do this, but its only a few minutes (you can give a window of say 15 - 20 minutes for it to be open and then close it) for some experts to view things that can probably be pointed out in a matter of minutes and possibly solve this puzzle for you.

The other reason I don't want to open the diary is because I have been already through weeks and months worth of food diaries with my nutritionist, on a weekly basis, and have streamlined my food. I'm not saying people here won't know what they're talking about because you don't need a license to know about nutrition (though already in this thread several people have disagreed about certain things) - but I trust that I have worked on this part enough because there has been someone who has looked at every single entry for weeks and said it's fine. As for everything else, sure, that's up in the air. Obviously my deficit is not enough as calculated by MyFitnessPal. I need to know what it should be though. I can't just keep guessing. That hasn't worked. When I decreased my calories because I wasn't eating enough, I was losing too slowly. When I was told to increase them, the scale stopped moving all together.

I get all of this. Let me throw one more thing out there, perhaps there is a member here in your thread you would sort of trust to OPEN your diary with a code and let that member work with you off the thread?

Just a thought, I am at a loss without seeing the entries. Other than that, all the advice you have been given is some good stuff for you to consider. We are always eager to help out. We do not want to criticize or do anything that will make you feel bad in any way.

I truly do wish you luck with this process :)
  • carnivalnights
    edited August 2016
    Options

I meant the way it was commanded without even offering any alternative advice. It was just "open your diary" and that was the end. People should be able to offer advice based on the details I gave them. As I explained to someone else, I have gone through weeks and months of food diaries with a nutritionist and streamlined my food already (on a weekly basis). I don't feel I need help in this area and it seems useless to go over it yet again because I've lost 70lbs. What I am eating is obviously not the issue because I have lost a ton of weight already and my diet hasn't changed. It has to be something else. I am even hesitant to say it's errors with food logging because again, my diet has not changed since I lost that 70lbs (all last year) and I have been using MFP to track this entire time. I'm not eating differently. That's why I want to get to the bottom of this and why I want suggestions that do not have to do with what food I am eating specifically. What I am eating is very basic and bland like most people trying to lose weight are eating.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I meant the way it was commanded without even offering any alternative advice. It was just "open your diary" and that was the end. People should be able to offer advice based on the details I gave them. As I explained to someone else, I have gone through weeks and months of food diaries with a nutritionist and streamlined my food already (on a weekly basis). I don't feel I need help in this area and it seems useless to go over it yet again because I've lost 70lbs. What I am eating is obviously not the issue because I have lost a ton of weight already and my diet hasn't changed. It has to be something else. I am even hesitant to say it's errors with food logging because again, my diet has not changed since I lost that 70lbs (all last year) and I have been using MFP to track this entire time. I'm not eating differently. That's why I want to get to the bottom of this and why I want suggestions that do not have to do with what food I am eating specifically. What I am eating is very basic and bland like most people trying to lose weight are eating.

More advice is not being offered because you've shot down most advice and said it doesn't work. We're running out of ideas. Especially since you said you're not willing to reduce calories further or adjust things without consulting your nutritionist.

Since that's the case, I suggest you follow the advice of your nutritionist.

Good luck with your weight loss.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    One last question if you will... and I may have missed this..

But how many times in the 70 pounds lost have you adjusted the calories goal in MFP? For example every 10 pounds or 20, etc..
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

More advice is not being offered because you've shot down most advice and said it doesn't work. We're running out of ideas. Especially since you said you're not willing to reduce calories further or adjust things without consulting your nutritionist.

Since that's the case, I suggest you follow the advice of your nutritionist.

Good luck with your weight loss.

I never said I wasn't willing to reduce calories...? All I said was that I've tried it did not previously make a difference. Doesn't mean I can't try again, which I did say I would do. To get into more detail, I decreased my calories by 300/day. When I inquired why the scale wasn't really moving, I was told (also by this community on MFP) that I wasn't eating enough. So I put my calories back to 300 increase, which is how they were when I lost all the weight. It makes sense to decrease my calories as I lose more weight. But when I did that, I was losing weight so slowly even though I was also exercising on top of that when I was very much exceeding my deficit (as it has been calculated on here - which people are saying could be the issue, that it's inaccurate).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm sad for you that you have to eat 'basic and bland' food, but it's not what 'most' people are doing at all!
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Jillian Michaels is out to sell her product, which pretty much means she does not know what she's talking about. ;)

Wanting to sell her product doesn't make her ignorant. She has some things to offer, even if not 100 percent of what she says is helpful. Her programs are sound and she's helped a lot of people lose weight.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A couple of questions:
    How do you have your activity level set up (active, sedentary, etc...)?
    When you log your entries, are you scanning barcodes? Comparing entries against what's on the package? Are you logging everything by grams? When you say you weigh "everything", do you mean every bite (including slices of bread, crackers, pasta, etc..)? I ask because sometimes people say they weigh everything, only to find out they really aren't.
    Do you use the recipe builder for recipes, or just select a best guess from the database?
    How do you estimate calorie burns from exercise?
    How many calories does MFP have set up for you?
    Have you started or stopped any new medications recently?
  • kendahlj
    Options
    OP, how much of your calorie intake is from foods with added sugar (refined sugar, corn syrup, etc)?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, those who have asked you to open your diary would be looking for common logging errors, not nutrition advice. These would be specific to MFP, not something your nutritionist could help you with.

Regardless, weight loss/gain is calories in/calories out. If you are logging accurately, hitting your calorie goal, and not losing for several months, then your calorie goal is wrong, and you need to eat less.

One more thing I wanted to put out there, not to undermine your nutritionist, but "nutritionist" is a pretty meaningless title - anyone can call themselves that, there is no credentialing or education required.

Anyway, I'm really sorry you're struggling and hope you get the scale moving again soon. Good luck!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    OP, how much of your calorie intake is from foods with added sugar (refined sugar, corn syrup, etc)?

Really?
  • kimny72
    Options

Doesn't matter for weight loss.
  • kendahlj
    Options

Really?

It's shameful to ask, I know. Congrats on being the first (but surely not the last).
  • kimny72
    Options

Really?

It's shameful to ask, I know. Congrats on being the first (but surely not the last).

If she was struggling to stay at her calorie goal because she was hungry, it would be a reasonable question. But it would not affect her weight loss if she is sticking to her calorie goal.
  • kendahlj
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Really?

If she was struggling to stay at her calorie goal because she was hungry, it would be a reasonable question. But it would not affect her weight loss if she is sticking to her calorie goal.

Yes or no...do you think insulin affects weight loss?

• RoxieDawn
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I am taking one last stab and moving on after this.. :)

I made a suggestion to see if you might want to work with someone one on one off the thread, no answer.

I also wanted to know how many times or at what weight increment were the calorie GOALS were adjusted in MFP? If any?

Apart from these question, in light of the last post made, how long was this increase in 300 calories done? And was it around or after or before a calorie adjustment GOAL was done? I am looking for something to clue me in further as to what may be happening apart from every single thing that was mentioned already tried and failed.

Because if a person stalls for 4 -5 months, they some how have slowly crept back up in their maintenance calories which is easy to do. I am not concerned with the exercise calories at all at this point in the deficit equation.

• SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You said you use a Fitbit, and then you are also logging your workouts on MFP? You may be double counting your exercise burn...if you are logging your exercise on MFP you may want to just log them onto Fitbit and have the Fitbit feed over to MFP.