340 to 189 Naturally. Or Maybe UNnaturally. Pics.

This will be a long post and there are pics at the bottom.

So, let's speak some truth about being over 300 pounds. (or at least my truth):

1. You aren't necessarily crazy about a lot of the photos people take of you so when you DO lose weight, you sometimes have a hard time finding ways to compare your progress.

2. Travelling is hard. Airline seats suck. Bus seats suck. Stair-climbing sucks. Going through turnstiles sucks. Forget amusement parks. Vacations can really be limited based on your mobility and inability to "fit" where the world thinks you need to fit.

3. People will make comments about your body.

4. People will talk to you as if you don't know you are fat by saying things like "large", "plump", or other words that avoid saying the word "fat".

5. Your body will hurt like hell.

6. Even if you really love yourself and love the way you look, you will long to be able to shop for cuter clothes, wear heels, or just find a purse that fits over your large arms.

7. You'll be hungry (even if just mentally) almost all the time.

Now for some truth about being 189 pounds:

1. You might be a little more happy about the way you look in photos but you might not recognize or connect with the thinner version of yourself. You might even feel like a traitor to the woman you were before that you worked so hard to love.

2. Travelling won't be as hard but it will still suck. Your skin won't be as tight and you will be aware of it when you put on a swimsuit. You might decide to say "screw it" and wear the swimsuit anyway. You will be agog that you fit in airline seats, fit through turnstiles, and don't worry that you will break restaurant chairs.

3. People will STILL make comments about your body. Both your old body and your new body. They will assume you've had gastric bypass even if you show them a scar-free stomach.

4. People will talk about your old body in hurtful ways. You will resent the hell out of it.

5. Your body won't hurt as much but there will be lasting damage to your knees or ankles. You might be free of sleep apnea for the first time in 20 years. You'll be able to climb stairs without pain.

6. Even if you really love yourself and love the way you look, you might miss your old coping mechanisms of binging.

7. You'll be hungry (even if just mentally) almost all the time.

How did I lose my weight and how long did it take me?

In October of 2014 I came home from work and found my beloved Golden Retriever dead by the front door. I was so depressed for the next several weeks that I lost 30 pounds in 30 days. After 2 months, I had lost 50 pounds just from crying all the time and not eating and my wife insisted that she was going to have me taken to an inpatient facility if I didn't get my shizz together and start eating. Binging had always been my coping mechanism and I just wasnt doing that behavior anymore to get through my grief.
I decided to make a positive out of the negative and bought a Fitbit, an Aria scale, and started tracking my food here at MFP. I employed the help of friends to keep me on track and got a good weightloss-buddy to check in with every day. I stopped eating meat for the most part, I stopped soda, I stopped a lot of processed food. The weight fell off in huge bursts. I looked up one day and had lost 100 pounds in 6 months and decided to keep going.

It has NOT all been easy or rainbows and kittens. I have lost friendships, my marriage, and have suffered some depression around not being able to recognize myself some days. But for the most part? I'm happy and joyous and feeling connection with my body in ways that mean the world to me.

At my heaviest I weighed around 345 pounds. I'm now between 188 - 199 depending on fluctuations. I still want to lose about 40 more pounds.

yr85r9d2vzo5.jpg

deafphg1j2u6.jpg
fy1pelqlhdr9.jpg

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Well done on all of your hard work! I love the honesty in your post.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Rock on with your bad self. I love your honesty. Very nice post and congrats!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Awesome..just pure awesome! Congrats to you!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Great job on turning such a sad event into a chance to work on yourself. As you can see, life will always throw curve balls at you. You now know that food isn't the answer to those curve balls. That right there is worth it. Well done on your success so far. I know you'll reach your ultimate goal.
  • jmbrown090
    jmbrown090 Posts: 48 Member
    Congratulations!!! Such an amazing accomplishment.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    edited August 2016
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved doggy! My heart ached for you when I read that.
    That being said, you are an awesome human and a true inspiration. I hope you feel very proud of yourself!
    Keep on keepin' on!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    A very insightful and honest post. Congrats on your success and please be proud of yourself.
  • sunny_girl_tls
    sunny_girl_tls Posts: 422 Member
    Amazing work!! You are a inspiration for me to achieve my goals. Thank you!!
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Wow just wow you look amazing great post!
  • chasitystiff851
    chasitystiff851 Posts: 5 Member
    Congrats
  • bright_arrow
    bright_arrow Posts: 7 Member
    <3 Angie <3 You look absolutely beautiful and I am SO PROUD of you, woman, every. single. day.
  • BABYLILAC
    BABYLILAC Posts: 148 Member
    Well done , that's amazing !
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Good for you! Keep going, you'll get there. Its not a straight road. I love your honesty.

I started here at 182lb, got down to 140 but felt I looked scrawny in photos, so eased up to 143. I'm currently 150lb (according to the scale this morning) post-vacation, so I know I need to eat less and be a bit firmer with myself over snacks and drinks.

I still feel fat, my belly feels like a big beach ball and when I look in the mirror I see fat legs, fat belly and fat back and my knees still hurt. But I can fit into my clothes without rolls over the top, I can do a zumba class followed by a clubbercise class without keeling over and I do some exercise most mornings before breakfast and try to do some most evenings before dinner.

You look amazing by the way.
  • judydj1220
    judydj1220 Posts: 79 Member
    awesome*awesome*awesome!!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I'd say that was inspirational..but it wasn't … sorry you can't be more glad and proud of yourself. You should be.
  • griffithm1
    griffithm1 Posts: 130 Member
    So proud of you. You are beautiful...inside and out.
  • memathmfp
    memathmfp Posts: 25 Member
    Beautiful woman, before and after. Your post is raw and honest. Thank you for sharing.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    You look gorgeous; but I'm so saddened by the loss of the pup.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!