MarlotheAlpha
MarlotheAlpha Posts: 22 Member
edited August 2016 in Introduce Yourself
General conversation

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Both. Size and strength go hand in hand. Get stronger, lift heavier in the hypertrophy range, more muscle/gains. At some point with powerlifting, you have to just have more muscle to see strength increases. How you want to split it up/what your focus is will determine how you train.
  • michaelwilps
    michaelwilps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to play sports, workout.. was 220 with low body fat that was 19 years ago. Lol. I was weighing in at 270. Lost 30 pounds. Now I just recently hit the gym again. Feel good. Old muscle coming back.. want to lose weight and gain muscle.
  • michaelwilps
    michaelwilps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At gym every day 6 day a week. Tomorrow Chest; tri
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I compete in both. I prefer hypertrophy programming though.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Powerlifters get to eat more donuts. So there's that.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »

And cheesecake.
  • arditarose
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »

But I don't :(

I guess I could but I don't want to be a fat kitten
  • MarlotheAlpha
    Options
    I combine both I just wish I could eat some donuts this diet is drawing 0 carbs
  • arditarose
    Options
    I combine both I just wish I could eat some donuts this diet is drawing 0 carbs

What kind of macros are you following? You trying to be all keto like?
  • MarlotheAlpha
    Options
    Overall calories 2500 /Protein 310 carbs 0 fats 25

I've tried having my carbs at 20,40,50,80 even 100 but my body just responds to losing fat by 0 carbs at the vary least 10g of carbs I can keep loosing body fat with
  • arditarose
    Options
    Overall calories 2500 /Protein 310 carbs 0 fats 25

I've tried having my carbs at 20,40,50,80 even 100 but my body just responds to losing fat by 0 carbs at the vary least 10g of carbs I can keep loosing body fat with

My man. Stop this now. Why so much protein? Why are you aiming for ZERO carbs. 25 grams of fat? I'm a 5'4" female and when I was losing weight at 130 pounds I literally LOST my libido eating 20-25grams of fat. You need at least .35-.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and that might even be just for women.

Also, this is only like 1500 calories, not 2500.
  • MarlotheAlpha
    Options
    I feel you but that's how my body responds ............the 25g fat is what I aim for I usually go higher around 98 but the protein is high because I want to hold on to as much muscle as possible and my calories 2500 are on on point for me to drop body fat ...do u have any suggestions
  • arditarose
    Options
    I feel you but that's how my body responds ............the 25g fat is what I aim for I usually go higher around 98 but the protein is high because I want to hold on to as much muscle as possible and my calories 2500 are on on point for me to drop body fat ...do u have any suggestions

25g of fat and 98g of fat are two wildly different things. That's 225 calories from fat vs. 882 calories from fat.

And what I'm saying is the way you have your macros set up is NOT 2500 calories. Carbs have 4 calories per gram, protein has 4 calories per gram, and fat has 9 calories per gram. With "zero carbs" you are at 1500 calories.

You don't need 300+ grams of protein to maintain muscle mass. That is overkill. 1 gram per pound of body weight is MORE than sufficient.

And you don't need zero carbs, trust me. You need a calorie deficit and decent amount of protein. Seriously, a NORMAL amount of protein.

How much do you weigh? What is your height and activity level?
  • MarlotheAlpha
    edited August 2016
    Options
    At 372 that enough protein and 25 gram of fat that is usually what I shoot for but again I go above around 98 carbs are always 10 and lower and protein is alway hit between 280 to 310 depending if I'm using wholes foods or powder
    I'm 6ft and in the gym 6 days a week plus football training this the macros keep me losing about 1 1/2 pound to 2 pounds a week I usually don't worry about my fat intake as long as my carbs are low I'm good but the protein must stay high
  • arditarose
    Options
    At 372 that enough protein and 25 gram of fat that is usually what I shoot for but again I go above around 98 carbs are always 10 and lower and protein is alway hit between 280 to 310 depending if I'm using wholes foods or powder
    I'm 6ft and in the gym 6 days a week plus football training this the macros keep me losing about 1 1/2 pound to 2 pounds a week I usually don't worry about my fat intake as long as my carbs are low I'm good but the protein must stay high

Okay, you have some weight on you so I understand why you want protein high. You're not tracking your macros correctly but if you're losing 1.5-2lbs per week and you are happy with that...you do you.

• usmcmp
    Options
    You know, you NEED dietary fat. Need it. It's important for hormones and metabolic processes. When you cut it down too far you reach a point where your hormones get all out of wack and you can cause serious issues. You need fat to help burn fat and to help your body absorb vitamins and minerals.
  • MarlotheAlpha
    Options
    98 g of fat is to low???
  • arditarose
    Options
    98 g of fat is to low???

You are saying 25, 98...which is it?!?! Come on now.
  • MarlotheAlpha
    Options
    Who cares I rather have 25 but I im usually eating more than that I could care less about fat especially if it's working for me ...I'm just asking was 98 to low so yeah come on now and pay attention
  • arditarose
    Options
    Who cares I rather have 25 but I im usually eating more than that I could care less about fat especially if it's working for me ...I'm just asking was 98 to low so yeah come on now and pay attention

I'm sorry. You don't know what you are doing. 25 is too low, yes. You will have problems with your hormones and trouble absorbing nutrients.

You realize when you eat 25g of fat you are eating 225 calories from fat and when you eat 98 you are have 882 calories from fat. You are all over the place.