High maintenance?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It depends if losing weight is important to you. Only you can make that decision!
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    It is pretty simple to weigh food. And to use the app as a good estimate when you're out. I mean.... if that's what you want (to drop weight), it's not so tough.

How do you weigh food? Do you have to take things apart?

For example, I have a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich in the morning.

Do I need to (1) take apart the sandwich into the croissant, cheese and meat parts, weigh the croissant separately, the cheese separately, and the meat separately, then put them back together?

Or (2) just measure it's weight in totality, compare with what the box says and adjust the calories accordingly? Because in #2, I might be off if the meat is smaller, but the croissant is larger, or vice versa.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're just making excuses at this point. Don't worry, we've all been there. You can do whatever you want to lose weight. Weighing food is a tool that works for many many people. I lost 90 lbs doing it and still have had a social life. I eat out regularly and just estimate. I have 4 young children and weighing my food barely disrupted my life. I am now at a healthy weight and I feel amazing so I would consider it totally worth it.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Until you try it, how do you know? Commit to 30 days and see if it makes a difference for you. That's how I approached it cause I thought it was crazy to weigh one's food. That was 3.5years and 49lbs ago. It literally takes me seconds per meal. (I still eat out at restaurants)
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you are eating something that comes from a package with calories printed on it, just use those calories. If you are eating something that doesn't have calories on it, such as a steak or an apple, then weigh that. If you are eating out, check out the calories on the restaurant website or just give it your best guess.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I measured my food for a week or so then when I knew how much put in a bowl of cereal or pb on my toast I just eye balled it. I eat out once or twice a week and sometimes eat whatever i want as a cheat day or get something healthier and always get a garden salad and veggies with it rather than fries or something.

I also eat whatever I want as long as it works in my calories. If u want to lose weight then do it if not then don't.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It is pretty simple to weigh food. And to use the app as a good estimate when you're out. I mean.... if that's what you want (to drop weight), it's not so tough.

Do I need to (1) take apart the sandwich into the croissant, cheese and meat parts, weigh the croissant separately, the cheese separately, and the meat separately, then put them back together?

Or (2) just measure it's weight in totality, compare with what the box says and adjust the calories accordingly? Because in #2, I might be off if the meat is smaller, but the croissant is larger, or vice versa.

Weigh the entire sandwich in grams on the scale. Adjust the scale amounts with what the package says.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

2. And remember that even weighing, this is still an estimate and calories can still be off.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food...

Don't weigh your food...

Lose weight...

Don't lose weight...

They are all choices YOU can make. Folks will help you, folks will hinder you. But it all boils down to YOUR desire to do what YOU want. Only YOU can make the decisions that will effect you. If one of those happens to be the choice to weigh your food and lose weight through this proven methodology, then that is your choice. If not, then that is ALSO your choice.

It is all about choices. Weigh, don't weigh, no one is going to FORCE you to do it. There is no WRONG way to do it, if it works for you.

Enjoy life..... don't stress so much!
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It doesn't mean you can only eat at home. It means you take control over food instead of the food taking control over you. You plan and prep your meals at home. For those instances where you can't you make better choices with your food. You only fail if you don't try.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    linlinjay wrote: »
    Hi!
    I really do want to lose weight but it seems a bit high maitenance to weigh all your foods to log them, so it also means that i can only eat at home so basically i'm gonna ruin my social life since i'm gonna stress about everything i eat. I don't think it's a way to live (no offense to people that actually do that) i don't know, i feel miserable being over weight even though i'm healthy..

Just start logging. Sometimes you'll just have to guess. But if you do your best and are as honest as possible with yourself, you will see loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I really do want to lose weight but it seems a bit high maitenance to weigh all your foods to log them, so it also means that i can only eat at home so basically i'm gonna ruin my social life since i'm gonna stress about everything i eat. I don't think it's a way to live (no offense to people that actually do that) i don't know, i feel miserable being over weight even though i'm healthy..

I've lost weight without counting calories many times in the past, but didn't learn anything and always gained the weight back. I prefer weighing and logging. I do bring my scale to my mother's and fiance's. As others have said, I estimate restaurant meals. Most of the time half an entree is plenty for me, and I bring the other half home and weigh it there. But guestimating is fine as well, as long as over time the trend on the scale reflects these estimates.

I eat the same few breakfast and lunches so all of these foods have been located and are easily available in my Recent foods list. Weighing and logging takes very little time once you've been doing it for a week or so.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

You're overthinking it. Just eat the damn sandwich (or whatever one serving is) and log whatever is on the box for a serving. It will average out if one is ten calories more than another once in awhile.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Well, you don't have to weigh a thing if you choose not to. Many people are successful without the use of a food scale. I've found I do need to weigh foods, but I don't stress if I go out to eat. I just follow a weekly calorie goal and find foods that can fit in without blowing everything else out of the water.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I weighed cheese a couple of times until I felt I could eyeball 1oz. I don't weigh anything else and I go out and eat. I try to look for calorie count online or I add the individual ingredients and overestimate just in case.

I've lost 17 lbs so far in 45 days. I have 70 or so to go. It doesn't interfere with my social life except that I'm on my phone logging my meal, but hey my friends are on theirs too doing whatever:).
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about losing the weight then you need to get serious about logging it. Well at least that is what worked for me. I start MFP around the 230 neighborhood and got down to 180 before injuries caused a few setbacks. But weighing my foods and logging my intake is what worked best for me.
    Prior to joining MFP when I first started getting back into working out and trying to lose weight I was around 250, it was over a year and I had only lost 20 pounds and I was hitting it hard as heck in the gym. My problem was I was not at all monitoring my intake.
    I had to work three times harder for less results then I did once I started using MFP, logging and weighing everything. BTW, if you are eating prepackaged foods then you can use the manufactures data. The phone app even has a bar code scanner. Go get a digital food scale and get to work, I picked up one at Walmart for 18 US dollars.
    It really is not that difficult and I am sure once you start you will be happy you did.
    No matter your choice good luck, I wish you the best.
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    High maintenance maybe, but I've found that nothing stays the same. If I'm not actively trying to lose weight or maintain, I'm gaining. I figure putting some extra thought and time into what I eat and how much I eat is worth not being morbidly obese. If I'm spending 3 or 4 hours a week at the gym, I can spend 10 minutes a week with my food scale. But that's just me.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Priorities. That is all.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I usually either don't log if I can't get an accurate read or I log best guess.