Heaviest I've ever been-need motivation bad

Options
So--my wife and I did the Whole 30 in Feb. of this year. Had good success too. We both cooked together (my version of cooking was microwaves ) meal prepped, and followed the tenets to the word. Until April. We went away for a weekend at a resort and fell off the wagon. Then in May-I bought a new motorcycle. On days off I ride, bar hop, drink beer, eat bar food, and now I'm at 294. The HEAVIEST in my 44 years. The worst of all---I haven't played hockey since May. That's a huge part of my life, and also kept my weight and fitness sort of in check. Now I'm so out of shape, I sweat in my A/C controlled house doing chores! I've been on MFP many times before- and it's helped. I know what I need to do, BUT-the goal seems so unattainable right now. I know you have to start somewhere, but I'm so discouraged right now, that I don't even want to start! I'm pretty lost right now. Looking for some motivation for this. Thanks for reading my rant.

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are many times, feeling like I need to address my weight, but not feeling the motivation to get it done. I've changed my approach from "hurry up and lose this" to "slow and forever". You need a lot less willpower and motivation when your deficit is tiny.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hugs.

Can you start by making a few small changes and easing back into a healthier lifestyle? How about riding that motorcycle to a pretty place you can walk, like a beach, forest, park, etc?

• stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Both great ideas. I guess I'll start on the treadmill, slow & steady, and take it from there. And there's a TON of places to ride to and enjoy near where I live--great idea.
  • karrielynnhowardsternfan
    Options
    Motivation and starting is very difficult. Start with a plan for the next 24 hours only. Stick to your calories. What about I am going to eat healthy today...not focused on the final goal which appears so far in the distance. Exercise in the house if you feel self conscious house chores burn calories too!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was motivated when I realized I wasn't living the way I wanted. I was in pain, out of breath, and slow doing normal activities. I was only 40. I didn't want to end up stuck in a chair or bed. I deserve a full healthy life.
    I didn't drastically change my diet just logged and stuck to my calorie deficit. I lost 25 lbs and the difference is huge. I am still about 8 lbs overweight but my quality of life is so much better already. Habits I changed- I log every day. I eat my meals at regar times. I get enough sleep. I spend less time at the computer or reading and more time walking.
    I think changing your habit of going bar hopping and just getting back to more activity will help a lot. Log what you consume honestly and accurately and eat in a sustainable way.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tell you what I've told my boyfriend many times:
    "The great thing about weight is that you can always lose it again!"

Yes, you lost weight and then gained it back. But you can change your habits!

Avoid bar food, or maybe have a diet coke instead of a beer. One or the other, not both. That's a good place to start. Have a big lunch before going out, pack snacks in case you get hungry. Meal prep so you don't go for the first thing you can find because it's 'easy'. With enough prep, homemade healthy meals turn into microwave meals with the addition of a freezer :smile:

Weight loss is a 'one foot in front of the other' deal. It's a minute-by-minute process. But you can do it.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    What was the thing that motivated you the first time around?
    Also... think about this... It's not about "what" you want, it's about "why" you want it. Make a list, read it every day. Choose your actions based upon you "whys".
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I would start logging so you get an idea of how many calories you're actually eating and then try slowly cutting back a little bit each week. Logging can be an eye opening experience. Then add some walking and you'll be off to a great start!
  • stv1520
    Options
    What was the thing that motivated you the first time around?
    Also... think about this... It's not about "what" you want, it's about "why" you want it. Make a list, read it every day. Choose your actions based upon you "whys".
    You're right on there. My dad worked a desk job. He wasn't active either. Heart problems, including a quad bypass in 2008 plus diabetes now. I don't want to follow the same path. And it's getting there. I know it.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    stv1520 wrote: »
    So--my wife and I did the Whole 30 in Feb. of this year. Had good success too. We both cooked together (my version of cooking was microwaves ) meal prepped, and followed the tenets to the word. Until April. We went away for a weekend at a resort and fell off the wagon. Then in May-I bought a new motorcycle. On days off I ride, bar hop, drink beer, eat bar food, and now I'm at 294. The HEAVIEST in my 44 years. The worst of all---I haven't played hockey since May. That's a huge part of my life, and also kept my weight and fitness sort of in check. Now I'm so out of shape, I sweat in my A/C controlled house doing chores! I've been on MFP many times before- and it's helped. I know what I need to do, BUT-the goal seems so unattainable right now. I know you have to start somewhere, but I'm so discouraged right now, that I don't even want to start! I'm pretty lost right now. Looking for some motivation for this. Thanks for reading my rant.

Perhaps you're looking too far ahead, making "the goal" seem like an unattainable holy grail... Look at some smaller milestones build momentum (you skate, think more about your initial push-off from behind the crease rather than whizzing over your opponent's blue-line).

Maybe like this:
    √ - Love your wife, your family, and yourself
    √ - Re-engage with the tools that will help you along (like come to MFP, reach out, get used to the idea of change)
    ○ - Log your world "AS IS"... (take a good look at what you're doing so you can implement effective change
    ○ - Make a change, log accurately, move forward for 3-weeks (repeat as necessary to get into that 1.5 - 2.5 lb/week range)

For my part, I'd offer that your first few weeks should be intake-only changes -- modify your eating habits before worrying about finding time to incorporate exercise/activities... Again IMHO, it's far easier to modify an activity that you're already doing (eating) than to add an activity into your existing schedule. (strictly opinion here, of course)

Remember Push, Stroke, Glide (get a stable, reliable, and powerful start)... keep your stick on the ice and stay in the game! After your first few pounds look ahead to your blue-line (your overall goal) and THEN keep your eyes on the puck, eh?

Chin up -- You'll be back on the ice soon enough, and sweating there instead of at home.
  • stv1520
    Options

Perhaps you're looking too far ahead, making "the goal" seem like an unattainable holy grail... Look at some smaller milestones build momentum (you skate, think more about your initial push-off from behind the crease rather than whizzing over your opponent's blue-line).

Maybe like this:
    √ - Re-engage with the tools that will help you along (like come to MFP, reach out, get used to the idea of change)
    ○ - Log your world "AS IS"... (take a good look at what you're doing so you can implement effective change
    ○ - Make a change, log accurately, move forward for 3-weeks (repeat as necessary to get into that 1.5 - 2.5 lb/week range)

For my part, I'd offer that your first few weeks should be intake-only changes -- modify your eating habits before worrying about finding time to incorporate exercise/activities... Again IMHO, it's far easier to modify an activity that you're already doing (eating) than to add an activity into your existing schedule. (strictly opinion here, of course)

Remember Push, Stroke, Glide (get a stable, reliable, and powerful start)... keep your stick on the ice and stay in the game! After your first few pounds look ahead to your blue-line (your overall goal) and THEN keep your eyes on the puck, eh?

Chin up -- You'll be back on the ice soon enough, and sweating there instead of at home.

Well, you got me to at least find some humor in all this! But you're right on as well. Bottom line- starting is the hardest part of the journey. I'm already taking your advice with the eating. Logging EVERYTHING so far, and eating correctly. It's my 1st day of course, but the wife is with me as well. I'm just hoping I'll be able to bend over to tie my skates!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Bending over to tie on your skates will be easy, trying to get back up, now .. that's the real trouble :wink:

Work on your changes slowly, you got heavy MUCH more slowly that you will drop your weight and get things under control...

Good deal on getting your first edge set and starting your logging. Practice logging and the rest will follow in due time!
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options

Maybe like this:

GREAT response to the OP, Stan! Excellent and thoughtful advice.