Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do we judge a healthy weight range? BMI is no longer valid?

Options

Replies

• MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I used to think just like you, then I surpassed my expectations.

ETA: at 6'1, you can be 189 without being overweight. Assuming you didn't lose any muscle mass on your way to 189, that would put you at 10%. A pretty ripped individual and still falls in the range of "Normal".

My goal is to be 220 at 15% body fat. By my calculations, this means I will need to lose around 15 pounds of fat beyond my goal weight and add it back in muscle. In no way, shape or form would being under 200 pounds equate to "surpassing my expectations." I would have to lower my standards to achieve it.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

ETA: at 6'1, you can be 189 without being overweight. Assuming you didn't lose any muscle mass on your way to 189, that would put you at 10%. A pretty ripped individual and still falls in the range of "Normal".

My goal is to be 220 at 15% body fat. By my calculations, this means I will need to lose around 15 pounds of fat beyond my goal weight and add it back in muscle. In no way, shape or form would being under 200 pounds equate to "surpassing my expectations." I would have to lower my standards to achieve it.

Meh, that depends on how you look at it. Well yea, if your goal is adding more muscle mass (17lbs) then cutting to 10% wouldn't make sense. That depends on one's goals. Which is higher on the totem pole is completely relative. That being said, I'm speaking where you are at now and the notion that you are an outlier.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you are female, BMI is good. Body fat % is good and probably the best for both men and women, but it's expensive to get an accurate measurement.

In my area DEXA scans range from $75-250 each. There's a place nearby that performs 2 for $150 (with a 3 month time gap inbetween) for fitness purposes. Not a bad price if you ask me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    sculli123 wrote: »
    For a sedentary person, BMI is OK. For an athlete, it's not really so good. BF% is better, hard to be accurate as already noted but still better than BMI. Then again, the mirror is good enough for me. lol

@sculli123 - what is an athlete?
    There are tons of recreational athletes that would not fall outside the range.
    For females, it would be even less likely to be outside the range unless carrying a considerable amount of muscle.
    For males who carry a lot of muscle, particularly bodybuilder types - then yea, they would be an exception.

i agree that some athletes would be an exception but I wouldn't say it applies to only sedentary people.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

That's possible but pushing the envelope on lean body mass at your height, right?

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/

There is no mandate to be lean or thin, it's YOUR body and aesthetic goals aren't silly, I like the way fashion models look and they aren't at their healthiest possible weight. Also there is no mandate to be the healthiest possible you, nobody does that without being obsessive, and I'm sure even the obsessive are getting it wrong. But there is no exemption from science, either. Carrying more (or less) body fat is less healthy than carrying an ideal amount, this has been conclusively proven. Obesity is the single biggest factor in preventable disease right now, and is in our power to control.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The weight ranges were determined 240 years ago in France, which was in the midst of the Maunder Minimum famine. With that little historical semi-accurate nugget stated, I'll share that my Dr asked my loss target and I told her it was the middle of the healthy BMI for my height, which is about 160. She suggested that I should go no lower than the top of the healthy BMI for my height, which is about 180. My brother is my height and he's always looked good at about 170.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    You were making some points that might have validity to them (I'd need to see actual data), and then this. It sounds paranoid and relies on some overly simplistic stereotypes. Vegans aren't really conspiring to make everybody feel fat or to make the world look like concentration camp victims.

I guess the real question would be, what portion of the nutrition "establishment" who puts out all these rules and guidelines are vegans, and how much influence do they have over the group as a whole? There has been a definite bias against meat, especially red meat, and exalting the idea of a "plant-based diet" for many years now. People tend to unconsciously push their prejudices as being 'best' or 'normal'. I don't suspect active conspiracy so much as a prevalence of 'group think.'

Also it sounds like you believe that extra weight (from fat) carries no health risks. Maybe up to a point. In light of pretty much everything I've ever seen and heard, I just can't believe that.

No. What I'm saying is 1. on an individual to individual basis, BMI is not the best predictor of body fat, 2. The "healthy", "overweight", "obese", etc. numbers may be valid when applied specifically and directly to -body fat percentages-, but statistically, when they are applied to BMI rather than body fat percentage, the supposed increased health risk from being in the 25 to 30 range just doesn't hold up. In fact, that group often shows a -decreased- incidence of unexpected mortality vs the "healthy" BMI group. My suspicion would be that the proportion of people who are in the 25 to 30 BMI range but actually have a body fat percentage less than 25 is probably a lot greater than the "establishment" is willing to admit.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    I think for the lay population, being overweight or obese poses a much greater health risk.

Again, statistically speaking if you are only looking at BMI and not actual body fat percentage, then being in the "obese" category does carry significantly elevated risks, but being in the "overweight" category does not. I chalk this up to being that, on an individual basis, BMI is not that accurate for assessing body fat. Heck, bio-impedance gets a bad rap for being inaccurate, yet BIA is still notably more accurate than BMI.
    Also- I wasn't talking about being "gorgeous" as a woman or not at different weights and body fat percentages- I'm talking about the feasibility of achieving the kind of muscle mass you seem to think is so easy to gain/hold on to. Having 20% body fat for a woman my height at 189 lbs would take an extremely intense body-building regimen and again, would not apply to most of the population. This has nothing to do with how "gorgeous" someone is. I think you have a distorted view of reasonable/normal body fat percentages for the general population at different weights for their height.

I thought you were suggesting that a woman would look horribly over-muscled if she had the same lean mass at 189 as she had at 260. I don't think that is the case. I also don't think the skeletal muscle difference for carrying around 70 extra pounds of body weight is as great as you think it is. Naturally it's going to depend somewhat on height.
    Again, BMI is not a hard-and-fast, but it's a decent correlation for the majority of the population given the feasibility (or lack thereof) of regularly obtaining an accurate BF % measurement.

and again, BIA is readily available, inexpensive and definitely more accurate than BMI.
    Again, your point of view that you would look "scrawny and frail" at 185 lbs is the result of being part of an overweight/obese society and is purely your perception. I think it's important to recognize that. If you maintained that lean muscle mass and were 8% body fat, I think the idea that you'd look scrawny and frail is laughable. You'd look pretty ripped.

No, it's my view from experience when I actually was that weight, back in the '80s, before the "obesity epidemic." Back then it wasn't quite as bad, since I was young and could more easily pull off the skinny look, but at 46 there's no way I would look good at that size.
    As to the society thing. That is a claim repeated often enough to gain wide public acceptance, but I don't think it's all that accurate. If only there was a way we could look back in time and see what the ideal of that time actually looked like... such as maybe watching old movies! The Wizard of Oz is a great example. That movie is full of not skinny people. It the much repeated trope were true, we should be shocked at how rail-thin everyone looks when we watch old films, but that's not the case.
    Certainly we have become more tolerant of fat, and we have a higher threshold of what we still find attractive, but the view of what constitutes 'ideal' really has not changed that much.
  • Mike_Braddock
    Mike_Braddock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that BMI is accurate at all. For myself anyways.

I'm 5'6" male. This puts my ideal BMI between 19 and 24 which translates into 120-150lbs (I was 155lbs when I was in my early 20's while eating next to nothing and hitchhiking/walking 20 miles a day carrying 60+ lbs on my back). I'm currently 32 years old, fluctuate between180-188lbs (and have for a few years before staring to lift weights) and roughly 17% body fat (determined by BodPod), my BMI is 29-31. This puts me in the overweight to obese range; I have a good amount of muscle, but I'm not "very" muscular by any means and I am certainly not obese.

My brother in law had the same problem: 6'3" tall and 225lbs and 13%BF. The Air Force told him to lose 30 lbs.

If you want a VERY general idea of what you quite possibly "should" be and are new-ish to fitness, diet, etc. then yea, go with BMI as a guideline. My suggestion, however, is to get a BodPod measurement. They cost around $40 and are WAY more accurate than BMI, bioelectric impediment, calipers, etc. This will give you a MUCH better idea of where you're at and where you need to be
  • Mike_Braddock
    Mike_Braddock Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I should also add that I have a male friend who is the same age and height as I am. He "bulks up" to 155-160lbs before dropping 20lbs for a fight. So - same age, height, gender, etc and he is quite comfortable at 130-140lbs. I on the other hand easily bulk to 195-200lbs and it takes me a lot of work to get back down to 170lbs.
    One person fits the BMI mold, one doesn't.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

That's possible but pushing the envelope on lean body mass at your height, right?

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/

I don't believe it to be pushing the envelope at all. There are three different means of calculations in the link you posted, the first two only look at height and ignore frame size, both of them still give me a total body weight over 200 pounds. The third one accounts for frame size and gives me a max muscular weight as 253.8, plus another ten pounds if I were to bulk. Yes, the article writer suggests that formula may be too generous, but at 220 I'd still be well under the non-bulked number. My current lean mass is already at 171 with my bia scale measuring muscle percentage at just over 29. From what I've read, this makes me under-muscled for my size. If I meet my goals, I'll be within normal range for muscle weight percentage. Also, I have a hard time believing that my body is limited to 5 -7 pounds more muscle than what I have now.

• MarkusDarwath
    Options
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    The parameters of the current BMI scale were set by the CDC, National Institutes of Health, and World Health Organization in the late 90's.

Two federal agencies and the UN, there's a real model for trustworthiness.

(do I need to tag the sarcasm?)

• MarkusDarwath
    Options

I wanted to ask about this as I thought about something else and it's too late to edit my last post. And to be frank, the "lower your standards to achieve it" comment annoyed me a bit.

You're goal right now is to add 17lbs of lean mass to get to your 220 and 15%. So your goal I am assuming is to cut to 10-12% to run a bulk to gain that muscle, no? Granted, you may still add a few more lbs of muscle while in a deficit but eventually you will have to run a bulk. Either that or you are cutting to 220 and then recomping for a couple a years to get that mass. Either way, cutting to 10% or even 12% isn't lowering your standards, it's just "step 1" in getting to where you want to be. (Barring the recomp option).

My plan is to begin recomping once I reach 230. When I reach my half-way point (256) I will be starting with body-weight and HIIT training, then go hard core on the strength training at 230.

When I said being under 200 pounds would require lowering my standards, I meant that I would literally have to lose existing muscle to get there, even if I were to hit a lower than (my) ideal body fat.

I don't intend to get cut, just toned with a flat stomach, lose the fat bags where my upper lats/teres major should be, and carry an abundance of functional strength.