Can we have a Steak Appreciation thread

Options
You know, as bacon appreciation went to well :)

Currently rucking into a medium rare rump steak. I love rump steak, it's so juicy and flavourfull compared to more expensive cuts. And I like mine pink but not bleeding.

How do you have yours?

Replies

• asjt678
    asjt678 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    T Bone. Cooked, but not well done. I used to say well done and I would get crispy. Big difference. I want lots of onions on it and Montreal Steak rub. Maybe a few mushrooms on the side. I think a trip to the grocery store is needed now. Thanks alot, Caradack!
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey no problem!

Mine is with mushroom sauce, baby spinach and cherry tomatoes. I've been looking forward to it all day, I need the iron boost!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    My fave cut is ribeye - I like mine rare. Sometimes when I say 'rare' at places - they do it medium or medium rare. I really like the red inside so I have to say cool blue if they offer it.

I like to eat mine with a pat of butter on top!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh man, we had some fabulous steak off the smoker Saturday. Marinated all day. With baked sweet potato and broccoli. Medium rare, on the rare side, please!

Between the bacon and the steak, you guys are killing me.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    A friend of my son worked at a restaurant in Atlanta that served Kobe beef. If a waiter came back with an order to be cooked medium well the chef would say "tell them we're out". He knew they would send it back. Beef is best medium rare and I like mine on the rare side of that. I have also overheard a waitress ask how would you like that cooked? The customer replied "knock the horns off and wipe its @ss".
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    A friend of my son worked at a restaurant in Atlanta that served Kobe beef. If a waiter came back with an order to be cooked medium well the chef would say "tell them we're out". He knew they would send it back. Beef is best medium rare and I like mine on the rare side of that. I have also overheard a waitress ask how would you like that cooked? The customer replied "knock the horns off and wipe its @ss".

I've always favoured the Stephen King-ism of "just run it through a warm room."

My favourite way to eat a cut like filet is black and blue/Chicago blue, but anything that's got more fat or is less tender like a sirloin I have done to rare or midrare so that the fat warms enough to melt into the meat. Nothing worse than a mouthful of cold fat, so I only have lean/very finely marbled cuts blue.

I'm pretty picky and usually don't even cook steak for myself, I only order it from mid- to high-end steakhouses and never from other restaurants. Total brat.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    At home: filet with a little bit of salt and pepper, then seared on each side. After searing, put it under the broiler for a few minutes with a pat of butter on top. I like mine medium.

Or from The Pine Club in Dayton. Nothing beats their combo of steak and onion rings. To die for.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ribeye. Always ribeye. Perfectly grilled to medium with a Cesar salad and steamed broccoli covered in butter.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    We use sirloin, ribeye, filet and rump - but try and stick with the 28 day aged steaks. In the UK the Tesco finest ones are pretty good.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love a good ribeye, but filet is better. Costco is CHEAP for filets. We can get a pack of 4 steaks for $30. My DH doesn't like ribeye, so we will go for filet but just don't have it often as it's still a "specialty" item.

I like mine with Keg steak spice rub, with a bit of BBQ sauce at the end of grilling, and ALWAYS let it rest for at least 5 - 10 minutes (this is key with steak). I like mine medium to medium well; DH likes his well done.
  • EdR55
    EdR55 Posts: 174 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    T-Bone or Porterhouse---two in one NewYork and Tenderloin!!!, Ribsteak (bone in) next choice...It's all fantastic!!! And generally rare, medium rare at most.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I wish I could appreciate steak. Sometimes I crave one, but I hate red meat. It is truly bizarre. I used to work at two really good steak houses too! Such a waste. :s Enjoy one for me guys. I also can't eat bacon. Been that way since I was a kid.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I love steak but it's such a PITA to log! I mean, a 6oz sirloin at the restaurant always comes up to 200ish calories... Find a usda entry and you get 300+.

WTF do I use?
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    chuck steak.....nomnom. or a Porterhouse or T-Bone is good to.....ribeye..... basically all steaks will do for me Rare of course.....
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... I love steak Rare!! I like filet mignon, T-Bone, Porterhouse...really I wouldn't turn away any steak!!!!!
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't get steak much when we're out, but I cook it twice a month at home. Either strip steak or top sirloin, seasoned with worcestershire and steak seasoning. Sear it in my cast iron pan and finish it in the oven with butter like @Emily3907. I eat mine medium rare and my husband has his medium.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I love a good ribeye, but filet is better. Costco is CHEAP for filets. We can get a pack of 4 steaks for $30. My DH doesn't like ribeye, so we will go for filet but just don't have it often as it's still a "specialty" item.

I like mine with Keg steak spice rub, with a bit of BBQ sauce at the end of grilling, and ALWAYS let it rest for at least 5 - 10 minutes (this is key with steak). I like mine medium to medium well; DH likes his well done.

I always get my filets at Costco too! You can't beat their price (at least in my area).
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a national steak day in March?
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    rippin2U wrote: »
    Isn't there a national steak day in March?

Its steak and BJ day. Sort of valentines but for men. I celebrate the steak part.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Mmm, steak. I :heart: steak. Ribeye is probably my favorite. I like mine medium rare to rare, but the fat has to render as unrendered fat is just sad. I don't buy it often, because the price of beef is just ridiculous these days, and steak, especially a fatty cut, can be such a calorie bomb.