Can we have a Steak Appreciation thread

2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I like a thick steak and I cannot lie. T bones, sirloin, Scotch fillet....With Montreal steak spice/The Keg steak spice plus The ultimate steak splash from the Garlic box. We currently use propane, but charcoal is the bomb.
    Rare.

My husband is an insanely awesome bbqer.

I'd LOVE to try dry aged steak, though. Has anyone tried dry aged beef? What's it like?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    What's a Scotch fillet? I live in Scotland and I've never heard of this. Our fillet steaks are the same as anyone else's, other side of the T-bone from the sirloin.

I love a good steak, but I have to be in the mood. I'm bad at cooking them, so I don't - mistakes are too expensive and make me too sad.

My preferred cut is ribeye, I like flavour over tenderness, so I never order fillet. It's also too expensive and tricky (lean, dry) and you have to be able to trust the chef to know how to handle it. Not all of them do.

I generally go medium but I'm not fussy, if the restaurant has a recommendation to suit the meat, I'll take it. I've never fancied it blue or very rare, though. Too squashy and runny.

I like onion rings and pepper sauce, although the best steak I ever had (in a steakhouse in Glasgow) was so good I couldn't bear to put sauce on it, I just dipped the chips in it.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    I like steak well done. #sorrynotsorry

I can tolerate a little bit of pink but no blood or red juice all over the plate. Nope nope nope.

I have thin cut steaks in the freezer. I'm going to slow cook them with potatoes, carrots and tomatoes for dinner on Friday.

I was vegetarian for almost 7 months but several bags of beef jerky broke me. Not quite steak but goddamn I love jerky so hard.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    What's a Scotch fillet? I live in Scotland and I've never heard of this. Our fillet steaks are the same as anyone else's, other side of the T-bone from the sirloin.
    I think it's a boneless rib-eye, and they're only called that in Australia. I could be wrong, though. The name just stuck even though I've been in Canada for 9 years... Haha. Not sure why it's call a Scotch fillet, though.

• evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    NY Strip, t-bone, or porterhouse.... rare. I wish I knew how to BBQ...hubby did that and made the most awesome steaks, but he passed in January. I need to learn how to do that, but I don't want to ruin an expensive piece of meat
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2016
    I am living in the middle of beef country here. My granddaughter just had her first Filet Mignon. She may now be spoiled against lesser cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Yes medium rare I love it !
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Crab stuffed filet with whiskey peppercorn cream sauce
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Bavette, so much tastier than fillet, and much better value.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    An inch thick, NY strip, grilled medium so it is a little pink. Seasoned with salt, pepper & onion powder.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,172 Member
    Venison back strap med rare with mushroom sauce. mmmmmm

Sadly I have run out of this cut of meat. Fall hunting is coming & I can't wait... lol
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Oh venison... Favourite meat ever! But so expensive to buy.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    I reverse sear 2" thick ribeyes on the smoker. When they hit 115°F, I take them off and let them rest until my grill heats up to over 650°F. Then I sear them quickly on each side. Turn out a perfect medium rare steak without the dreaded bullseye effect.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I love a good ribeye, but filet is better. Costco is CHEAP for filets. We can get a pack of 4 steaks for $30. My DH doesn't like ribeye, so we will go for filet but just don't have it often as it's still a "specialty" item.

I like mine with Keg steak spice rub, with a bit of BBQ sauce at the end of grilling, and ALWAYS let it rest for at least 5 - 10 minutes (this is key with steak). I like mine medium to medium well; DH likes his well done.

I always get my filets at Costco too! You can't beat their price (at least in my area).

Same here, even with the price of beef we get to eat filet for less than the price of a t-bone....

0diaa7uf9tsy.jpg

Mmmmmmmm.....steak.....

2j9mjwp9igrg.jpg

• sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Love fillet steak. Just bought some venison steak.