Can you just do weight training and cut out cardio?

13»

Replies

• pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    serapel wrote: »
    I hate cardio. I'd like to cut it out and just concentrate on lifting heavy weights. I'm about 20% body fat, 45 years old and female. I don't need to lose body fat.

I have read that the most important things (in priority sequence) are:

1. diet
    2. weight training
    3. cardio

The article stated that cardio is not important if you're lifting heavy. true?

Rest less time between sets. Your strength training will be your cardio as well. If you have not looked into supersets then it is work checking out.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    edited August 2016
    Thanks everyone. On my leg days, I'm literally dripping with sweat. I try not to stop moving as much as possible. I begin with 105 lb barbell hip thrusts, then 100 lbs reverse hack squats, 20 lbs back extensions, 20 lbs forward leaning lunges, 30 lbs pendulum quadruped hip extension, 70 lb deadlift or cable pull throughs, and other glute exercises with resistant bands, etc.

This workout usually takes 1 hour to complete and it's all glute focused. On this day, it really feels like I'm doing cardio. I do this 2 times a week. Is this an accurate assumption?

ps...I'm actively increasing my weight as I get stronger. I've only been doing glute routines for 3.5 months now and started with a pancake butt. I've gained 3 lbs of muscle.

How quickly did you notice a difference? Are you eating in a surplus? What's your progress thus far in that area? I've established my glute workout schedule and I'm Really starting tmr no matter what. I've been doing lots of body weight exercises (and they really have worked for me in terms of sculpting) but I'd like to increase in size on my lower half...

EDIT: I noticed your responses to these questions after reading further through the thread...Please feel free to add any additional tips/comments regarding lower body muscle building! :)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    When I power lifted I would have over 5 min between sets so hardley getting my heart rate up for long and the workouts were 2 plus hours which sucks. Now Im out in 75 min and my HR is always above 130 but I do pull ups or Lunges between every set everyday I workout its intense but I just love the way I feel and look fantastic. More Athletic than a bodybuilder type body comp at this point.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited August 2016
    I hate cardio. I'd like to cut it out and just concentrate on lifting heavy weights. I'm about 20% body fat, 45 years old and female. I don't need to lose body fat.

I have read that the most important things (in priority sequence) are:

1. diet
    2. weight training
    3. cardio

The article stated that cardio is not important if you're lifting heavy. true?

Hmmmm...never mind the 'studies'...I think you already know the answer to that if you're honest. Bit surprised that you can't find a form of cardio you enjoy. I hate running and don't do it. 400m is 350 too far! :wink: Good luck
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Syneea wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. On my leg days, I'm literally dripping with sweat. I try not to stop moving as much as possible. I begin with 105 lb barbell hip thrusts, then 100 lbs reverse hack squats, 20 lbs back extensions, 20 lbs forward leaning lunges, 30 lbs pendulum quadruped hip extension, 70 lb deadlift or cable pull throughs, and other glute exercises with resistant bands, etc.

This workout usually takes 1 hour to complete and it's all glute focused. On this day, it really feels like I'm doing cardio. I do this 2 times a week. Is this an accurate assumption?

ps...I'm actively increasing my weight as I get stronger. I've only been doing glute routines for 3.5 months now and started with a pancake butt. I've gained 3 lbs of muscle.

How quickly did you notice a difference? Are you eating in a surplus? What's your progress thus far in that area? I've established my glute workout schedule and I'm Really starting tmr no matter what. I've been doing lots of body weight exercises (and they really have worked for me in terms of sculpting) but I'd like to increase in size on my lower half...

EDIT: I noticed your responses to these questions after reading further through the thread...Please feel free to add any additional tips/comments regarding lower body muscle building! :)

once I threw in the barbell hip thrust, things started to really happen. Combined with compound exercises like squats and deadlifts...big differences.

I'm not eating at a surplus really. I am eating lots of protein tho. To build muscle, women only need to eat an extra 100-200 cals a day...not a whole lot of a surplus really.