How to make better progress with SL 5x5

I've read the site and he says no need to do any other lifting besides the program. I'm curious if you should add other lifting in order to be able to add weight to the SL lifts? I'm a bit stagnant now, I can't add weight to the OHP or deadlifts.

I know there are women on here (who are awesome by the way!) who lift so much more. I don't know how they got there. I really like SL, I just want to be able to add weight. I do have the fractional plates but I'm not really progressing much with them.

Thanks!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    OHP is very hard to make progress on. Just keep plugging away. Deadlifts you should be able to make increases for quite awhile. Chances are your form may be a bit off, but there are some assistance exercises that might be able to aid you. How is your barbell row progressing?
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    I love strong lifts. As long as you're getting adequate recovery, you can incorporate other movements to help strengthen smaller muscle groups and muscles used for stabilizing. Also, in terms of gains, consider whether or not you're on a cut. Gains can suffer or stagnate due to intake.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    It'll be 2 months Friday.
    Here is a comparison of starting vs now
    Squat 45 / (was up to 100lbs doing landmines but switched to front squats at 65lbs on them now)
    Bench 45 / 80
    OHP 50 / 61
    Barbell Row 65 / 100
    Dead 105 / 155

I can't do the backsquats so that's why I was trying landmines but at 100lbs picking the bar up safely was beginning to be a concern so I switched to the front squats and feel like I'm starting all over.

I've only been able to add weight the bench press for the last few sessions. I'm sure my form is off...still very much a newbie! I'm going to meet with a trainer next week to look at the squats. Hopefully that will be good!
  • arditarose
    Dude I can't do OHP 5x5 for 60 lbs lol. You're doing fine. And 80 on bench is great. Have your trainer look at your deads too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Squat 45 / (was up to 100lbs doing landmines but switched to front squats at 65lbs on them now)
    Bench 45 / 80
    OHP 50 / 61
    Barbell Row 65 / 100
    Dead 105 / 155

I can't do the backsquats so that's why I was trying landmines but at 100lbs picking the bar up safely was beginning to be a concern so I switched to the front squats and feel like I'm starting all over.

I've only been able to add weight the bench press for the last few sessions. I'm sure my form is off...still very much a newbie! I'm going to meet with a trainer next week to look at the squats. Hopefully that will be good!

You're doing great.......
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    OHP is the first lift almost everyone stalls on and deloads. It targets the smallest muscle group in the program and in comparison to the bigger compound lifts like Squats and Deads, it will never progress overall at the same pace. In the past I took my deadlifts to 400lbs without stalling once and in the same time had to deload on OHP 3x and maxed out at 150. Just on Monday after starting up again in May I stalled at 105 on OHP and will be deloading on Friday back to 90.

What is the problem you are having with deadlifts, is it the lift itself or your grip and ability to hold the bar?
  • KDar1988
    Thanks everyone. I am trying to lose weight now while doing this. 50lbs to go...determined to make it and keep my muscle at the same time. I guess I just need to be patient and keep going.

Thanks again :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If you're dieting, that's gong to be another hindrance...it takes a lot of energy to make those gains and if you're dieting, you don't have that level of energy.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Fractional weights can help.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Is your goal powerlifting as sport? You seem to be progressing well!

I ran it for six weeks and began to stall. I tried accessory work thinking that a bit more muscle might help. I also switched to ascending lifts 10, 8, 5, 3, 1(+). I am able to lift a bit heavier and maintain. I also prefer the variation. I am now fine with slow progress as I have other goals that take precedence.

My biggest help is a 10-minute cardio warm-up, dynamic stretching and foam rolling (when I actually do it).

• KDar1988
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

What is the problem you are having with deadlifts, is it the lift itself or your grip and ability to hold the bar?

At 155 I can barely do 5. I feel my form is being compromised. I think I need to focus in on where that power comes from..using the legs and not rounding the lower back.
  • KDar1988
    rileyes wrote: »
    Is your goal powerlifting as sport? You seem to be progressing well!
    No, but being able to lift awesome amounts would be pretty cool! I have lost weight and gained it back so many times I've lost muscle in the process so this time I'm hoping the weight loss will be permanent and I can gain strength.

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

At 155 I can barely do 5. I feel my form is being compromised. I think I need to focus in on where that power comes from..using the legs and not rounding the lower back.

It might be worth deloading a bit and working on your form. Watch some videos like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1IGeJEXpF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE

If possible have someone record your deadlift and compare you video to the above.
  • KDar1988
    Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. I appreciate it.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Thanks everyone. I am trying to lose weight now while doing this. 50lbs to go...determined to make it and keep my muscle at the same time. I guess I just need to be patient and keep going.

As written, calorific deficit is not recommended with the SL program. That is not to say you can't do it or that you will not make progress but that progress is likely to be slower or maybe even stall.

That in itself is not an issue if fat loss is your priority, you will maintain your lifting performance (or at least stay close to your peak) and drop fat. If however, your lifting performance is your priority you may need to will need to sacrifice your fat loss for increased performance (by taking in more cals).

There is a saying "Sooner or later you need to decide why you lift weights" - I think that this saying is applicable in this instance.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Bench 45 / 80
    OHP 50 / 61
    Barbell Row 65 / 100
    Dead 105 / 155

You worked up to a 5x5 80-lb bench in 2 months?! I hate you. (Not really, but kind of). That's impressive.

As others have said, you're at the point where you have to pick your priority. If you have 50 lbs left to lose, and are determined to do that, then it should be your focus. Lose the 50 lbs, keep your current lifts where they're at now (or close to it), and then reassess your priorities after you've lost those 50.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I get that it's frustrating. When I first started I was focused solely on lifting and improving, and ate whatever I wanted. My lifts improved quickly and I was having a great time, but it got to a certain point that I wanted to be able to SEE the muscle I had put on, so I started to cut weight. Since then my lifts have stalled, and in some cases regressed a little bit, and it can get depressing, but I keep reminding myself that I need to focus on one thing at a time.
  • KDar1988

As written, calorific deficit is not recommended with the SL program. That is not to say you can't do it or that you will not make progress but that progress is likely to be slower or maybe even stall.

That in itself is not an issue if fat loss is your priority, you will maintain your lifting performance (or at least stay close to your peak) and drop fat. If however, your lifting performance is your priority you may need to will need to sacrifice your fat loss for increased performance (by taking in more cals).

There is a saying "Sooner or later you need to decide why you lift weights" - I think that this saying is applicable in this instance.

Thanks this makes sense and definitely need to get the rest of this weight off! I've actually lost maybe 3 or 4lbs in the past 2 month since starting SL. That is frustrating.
  • arditarose

Thanks this makes sense and definitely need to get the rest of this weight off! I've actually lost maybe 3 or 4lbs in the past 2 month since starting SL. That is frustrating.

It takes me like a month to lose a pound. You wanna talk about frustrating lol.
  • KDar1988
    Bench 45 / 80
    OHP 50 / 61
    Barbell Row 65 / 100
    Dead 105 / 155

You worked up to a 5x5 80-lb bench in 2 months?! I hate you. (Not really, but kind of). That's impressive.

As others have said, you're at the point where you have to pick your priority. If you have 50 lbs left to lose, and are determined to do that, then it should be your focus. Lose the 50 lbs, keep your current lifts where they're at now (or close to it), and then reassess your priorities after you've lost those 50.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I get that it's frustrating. When I first started I was focused solely on lifting and improving, and ate whatever I wanted. My lifts improved quickly and I was having a great time, but it got to a certain point that I wanted to be able to SEE the muscle I had put on, so I started to cut weight. Since then my lifts have stalled, and in some cases regressed a little bit, and it can get depressing, but I keep reminding myself that I need to focus on one thing at a time.

LOL...well, I made a mistake one day and put 50 pounds on the bar (total 95) and I lifted it twice and couldn't figure out why it was heavy! Had to put it down on my chest and roll it to my hips because I couldn't rerack it! LOL

Thanks for your perspective. I also want to SEE the muscle :) My priority really is to get this weight off so I see a shift in gears for a bit.

Thank you all very much.