How to make better progress with SL 5x5

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    I'm going to dissent a little here. With 50lb to lose your body has a TON of energy to burn and as essentially a beginner you should still progress (I'm not saying it won't be hard though). Keep the SL going and keep pushing for progress. You may not progress as fast as someone eating in a surplus, but you should still progress if your deficit isn't too large. You've been at this for 2 months and it takes a lot of time. I've been at it 1.75 years and I'm still far from where I want to be strength wise.

I went from 215lb with a 5x175lb squat to 172lb with a 5x290lb squat all while losing weight. I hit tough points that were hard to break though (I was stuck at 240lb for a while), but I kept going. It took me over 9 months to make that much progress (while the majority of the weight was lost over the first 6 of those months). I still haven't really eaten in a surplus (outside of just not dieting) and can now squat 8x300lb at 172lb.

Yes, now with only a few lb of fat to lose I can feel it when I eat in a deficit and try to get all my reps, so I'm not saying that isn't a thing, but there is a big difference between 50lb of fat to lose and 5lb to lose. Follow the program, focus on form, and just see where you end up. I'll also note he says to switch from 5x5 to 3x5 if you have to deload a couple times ( http://stronglifts.com/what-to-do-after-12-weeks-of-stronglifts-5x5/ )
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    I'm going to dissent a little here. With 50lb to lose your body has a TON of energy to burn and as essentially a beginner you should still progress (I'm not saying it won't be hard though). Keep the SL going and keep pushing for progress. You may not progress as fast as someone eating in a surplus, but you should still progress if your deficit isn't too large. You've been at this for 2 months and it takes a lot of time. I've been at it 1.75 years and I'm still far from where I want to be strength wise.

I went from 215lb with a 5x175lb squat to 172lb with a 5x290lb squat all while losing weight. I hit tough points that were hard to break though (I was stuck at 240lb for a while), but I kept going. It took me over 9 months to make that much progress (while the majority of the weight was lost over the first 6 of those months). I still haven't really eaten in a surplus (outside of just not dieting) and can now squat 8x300lb at 172lb.

Yes, now with only a few lb of fat to lose I can feel it when I eat in a deficit and try to get all my reps, so I'm not saying that isn't a thing, but there is a big difference between 50lb of fat to lose and 5lb to lose. Follow the program, focus on form, and just see where you end up. I'll also note he says to switch from 5x5 to 3x5 if you have to deload a couple times ( http://stronglifts.com/what-to-do-after-12-weeks-of-stronglifts-5x5/ )

Thank you!
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Hey, you're doing really great! Just stick with it. In two months you've made give progress and I think you are at the point where many of us would stall. I have been doing this a bit longer than you and I can still only do 5x5 OHP at 30kg (66lbs) and my bench is stuck at 40kg (88lbs). I have added some accessory work just to stave off boredom but I don't think it necessarily helps with increasing the weight on the big lifts.
    You're doing great, just keep going!
    If you are dead set on upping weights each week then make sure your form is good and drop the rep number down to just 1 or 2 for one of your sets so you can add a little weight. Next time add a rep and so on.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    The only thing I would add is "use the deloads." If you fail three times, deload like the app tells you to. It really helps. I deloaded several times on OHP and squats.
  • stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member
    I'm right about where you are on my lifts, and I progressed fairly steadily to here but I've been having a really hard time progressing the past couple weeks. I've deloaded a couple times and it's still really, really heavy. And I have about 20 lbs to lose, but I've been eating at maintenance the past 6 months! My thinking is that it's okay to plateau for awhile, better to deload, focus on form, and keep trying to break past that plateau. I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one though, it's crossed my mind that it's because I'm old lol.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Why can't you do back squats? Look at videos of proper form to parallel or just below. I know very few people who can do front squats and can't do back squats. Back squats are in the program because it is the best overall exercise for strength and sort of required by the program for novice progression.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Great point by @quiksilver620 about adding in deloads when required - these are important when lifting on deficit.
  • KDar1988
    34blast wrote: »
    Why can't you do back squats? Look at videos of proper form to parallel or just below. I know very few people who can do front squats and can't do back squats. Back squats are in the program because it is the best overall exercise for strength and sort of required by the program for novice progression.

I had posted here a while back that I get bad upper arm pain/strain when I try to get in that position. I've tried countless times and I just can't do it. I'm meeting with a trainer next week and we're going to go over form for both front and back and see. I've even tried just holding a broom handle that way and can't. The only way I get no pain is if I set the bar on my neck and that's not happening!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    As another option to deloading, which would probably be my first suggestion, is consider modifying the volume a bit on the the moves you are having problems with; meaning instead of doing 5 sets of 5 reps, do 5x3. I found that if I do that for a few weeks, and then roll back to the original program, it gets me over the hump.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    We're all stuck on the OHP! As stated previously, use the deloads. Stick with it. It hasn't been that long & you're doing great. Also, it seems like 50 pounds was a high starting point for you. BTW, your 155 DL is awesome! It all takes time. It is a lifestyle, not a race.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member

I agree....

It's taken me 2 years!!! But I'm 70lbs lighter and full of solid muscle!!! I'm on my last 10 lbs which will probably take me another year. It's very frustrating but you learn to not focus solely on the scale and look at other achievements ( smaller measurements or fitness goals).

I didn't want to get to my goal weight and be skinny fat. Everyone is always shocked when i tell them how much I weigh, because of my muscle mass I look smaller.

You are a Newbie so it is easier to lose weight and gain Muscle with a 20% calories deficit. It gets trickier as you get leaner.

Keep it up!!!
  • KDar1988
    We're all stuck on the OHP! As stated previously, use the deloads. Stick with it. It hasn't been that long & you're doing great. Also, it seems like 50 pounds was a high starting point for you. BTW, your 155 DL is awesome! It all takes time. It is a lifestyle, not a race.

Those figures I include the weight of the bar...I think that is the right way everyone states the weight they lift. The spreadsheet that I got for SL started the OHP at 50. Thanks for the encouragement :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    KDar1988 wrote: »

Those figures I include the weight of the bar...I think that is the right way everyone states the weight they lift. The spreadsheet that I got for SL started the OHP at 50. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Yep, count the bar. Hell, I add a bit extra on to my PBs if there is a lot of chalk on the bar :) #MustWeighSomethingRight?
  • KDar1988

Yep, count the bar. Hell, I add a bit extra on to my PBs if there is a lot of chalk on the bar :) #MustWeighSomethingRight?

LOL - you gotta take what you can get!
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    I no longer do SL but I did find that once I switched to sumo DL I was able to lift much more.
  • KDar1988
    Have you deloaded? Stronglifts is a beginner program, you may need to switch to something like 5/3/1.

I have slightly. I took a few lbs off the bb row and it felt better. I intend to the next time I do the DL, OHP I will try to increase tiny amounts if I can using my fractional plates.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member

I have slightly. I took a few lbs off the bb row and it felt better. I intend to the next time I do the DL, OHP I will try to increase tiny amounts if I can using my fractional plates.

If you follow the deload "schedule" described in the plan it works wonders. If you fail a weight in a lift 3 workouts in a row, next time you lower the weight (I forget the percentage) and build your way back up. I always ended up breaking through the sticking point by the time I got back to that weight.

Do you use the app? If you do, it will tell you when to deload and by how much, when to switch to 3x5, etc so that you keep progressing.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    I had posted here a while back that I get bad upper arm pain/strain when I try to get in that position. I've tried countless times and I just can't do it. I'm meeting with a trainer next week and we're going to go over form for both front and back and see. I've even tried just holding a broom handle that way and can't. The only way I get no pain is if I set the bar on my neck and that's not happening!

I get he same thing, so I added lying triceps extension with an EZ curl bar as part of my squat warmup. It loosens everything from the shoulders outward so I can get into the perfect squat position.
  • KDar1988
    klrenn wrote: »

If you follow the deload "schedule" described in the plan it works wonders. If you fail a weight in a lift 3 workouts in a row, next time you lower the weight (I forget the percentage) and build your way back up. I always ended up breaking through the sticking point by the time I got back to that weight.

Do you use the app? If you do, it will tell you when to deload and by how much, when to switch to 3x5, etc so that you keep progressing.

I actually have never failed. I've been able to do the movement but I think form might not be as perfect and I strain pretty hard to make it (especially DL and OHP). I had the app, but decided to just use paper to keep track when I couldn't add 5lbs each time lately.
  • KDar1988
    CipherZero wrote: »

I get he same thing, so I added lying triceps extension with an EZ curl bar as part of my squat warmup. It loosens everything from the shoulders outward so I can get into the perfect squat position.

Thanks for the suggestion. I should try it tomorrow.