Aldi?

Options

Replies

• MrsMowwychu
    MrsMowwychu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Pennsylvania I always shopped at Aldi. The prices were a lot less expensive than the big chain grocery stores nearby although there wasn't much variety. Now that I live in Texas and shop at HEB where the variety is endless and the prices are still a lot lower than I paid in PA for food I don't think I could ever go back to shopping at Aldi.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Aldi does take credit now. They started it about 6 months ago or so.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Aldi does take credit now. They started it about 6 months ago or so.

Even if the one by me does take credit now, I still refuse to shop there. The outside of the store looks like it hasn't been maintained in years. The inside, at least when I went the one time, was disgusting and looked like a breeding ground for bacteria. When I asked about the cleanliness to the manager, he was rude and said if I wasn't happy, don't shop there. Not a way to run a business at all. While not taking credit may have been a huge reason I refused to shop there, there are other reasons as well.
  • dfwmom35
    dfwmom35 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp Apples and organic produce. They are less than half the price at Aldi's. I find quality issues with the non-perishables..produce would be it for us.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cheap cheap cheap. I like their yogurt and they often have decent prices on produce.
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    the ones here in SC just look nasty to me...I call them salmonella city lol.

Uh oh, we live in the same town... lol... Suddenly, I'm suspicious of Aldi.

• lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    slieber wrote: »
    A perk for my fave store is that I get fuel discounts for dollars spent there, in addition to the good deals.
    I mostly shop at BiLo for that very reason. And it's conveniently located.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I didn't even know that there was an Aldi in my area, until I drove by one while working the other day. Funny enough, it's only about ten minutes from my apartment, just in the "rich white people" area that I never go through. Definitely going to check it out next time I need groceries though.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Aldi gets 95% of my food dollars. Quality food at low prices. And i work right next door to a Jewel.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi. You can't beat 80 cents for a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs for 69 cents. Aldi and Trader Joes are owned by the same people, so a lot of time you will find the same stuff as TJ's for half the price.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I've never seen service or cleanliness issues at Aldi here in Scotland. They don't have many staff, but it seems to be enough. I find them cheap, good quality and I like the small store as it's quicker and less stressful. I prefer Lidl as it is slightly more upmarket and has a better range, but I'll happily shop at Aldi if I'm near one. They're very similar. Lidl staff often seem actively cheery and to enjoy working there, which I like.

Checkout in both stores is a bit manic (staff checking items through faster than you can put them back in the trolley - forget bagging, you do that on your own time, after you've paid!) but you get practiced at it and I think that time saving is a big part of where they save money to be cheap.

I often see other big chain supermarkets doing price checks which "prove" they are cheaper than these two, but my experience is that over the whole shop they are very significantly cheaper than anywhere else I've shopped, and the quality is mostly very good. Lidl especially are very good for fruit and veg, tending to economise by selling odd shapes or sizes rather than bad quality or old stuff, which is what you sometimes get elsewhere.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I recently started shopping there again. Produce (broccoli, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, romaine, onions, peppers) is way cheaper and so is dairy (milk,eggs, heavy cream, half & half). I also but frozen ice cream treats there (1/3 the price of the Goid Humor ones) and chocolate. Spices are much cheaper and so it the olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Did I mention the chocolate? Nice small bars of dark chocolate. Bottled water is cheaper. Face cream (another member mentioned it in another thread) they have cleanser, day and night cream. Good products really cheap.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh and last time I picked up their protein powder but have tried it yet and they carry bars similar to Clif Builders bar which I might pick up when I go back.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Awesome! We are getting one in my area and I can't wait to check it out.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    good prices, gluten free things are quite good.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    1shedev wrote: »
    good prices, gluten free things are quite good.

This. And their chocolate is fantastic. It's not the only place I shop though. Depends on how much of a hurry I am in.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi! I shop there for most of my groceries and have several that are on my regular routes that I will go to.

The produce is great. There isn't a huge selection but what they have is always fresh and very reasonably priced. I get most of my fruit and veg there.

I like a lot of their Specially Selected and Priano items and they seem to have a strong bias towards healthier food choices. The Belmont Ice cream is yummy, so is the Gelato. Love their cheeses, Hummus, and coffee creamer.

I also like the trash bags, All Natural Dish soap and paper products.

I have also gotten great deals on some household items. Last winter I bought a little chest freezer for $100 and just this week I got a food dehydrator for $20.

I try to always bring some bags with me but sometimes on a quick trip I just grab a empty box or empty an almost empty box to use. I also keep a few quarters in the ar rest of my car to unlock a cart.

Yes sometimes the line is long at the register but the cashiers are friendly and quick and I never see anyone there in a bad mood.

And just this week I used my credit card to pay my grocery bill. Nice that they finally started accepting credit. I don't use it often but it is nice to have the option.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    No frills. Low prices.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It's cheap!

By the way, if you decide to shop there, somebody posted a picture on Instagram about these things by the brand Fit&Active called 14 calorie bars which are "Vanilla flavored cream bars in 3 fruit flavors (orange vanilla, cherry vanilla, strawberry vanilla). They're Popsicles and they're only 14 calories each and they said they got them at Aldi and they're sugar free, fat free and gluten free :smile: I hope I find some if I go to Aldi soon
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Do most of our grocery shopping there. Great prices. Great selection of food. They sell white chocolate covered pretzels that I can only get there...so they have a customer for life no matter what lol.