Aldi?

Options

Replies

• caslpierce
    caslpierce Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I get everything there except pita and tortilla because i want those to be whole grain and my aldi doesnt stock those. Otherwise cant go wrong! Cheapest eggs youll find!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    lalee115 wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of people mention shopping at Aldi, and some of my friends' diaries has some Aldi foods in it. So, I'm wondering... what is it that you find so great about Aldi? And, no, I don't mean that in a smarty pants kinda way. I really want to know what you go to Aldi for that you consider must-haves or staples in your food life?

I have an Aldi relatively sorta close to my house but never go there because, well, traffic. Just trying to see if it's a place I gotta get to!

Ok, so three years ago, our Aldi was generally considered a "low rent" kind of store. Off-brand stuff at lower prices, bag-your-own groceries. I was hesitant to shop there.

Not now. Their stuff isn't just inexpensive, some of it is better quality than you can get anywhere else in town.

There are great deals every week on fresh produce--and sometimes it's even national brands (last week I bought a pint of fresh Dole blueberries for 99 cents, when across town they were $2.99). Staples are a steal, as others have pointed out, but they offer some more unusual pantry items, too: canned wild-caught salmon for under $3, and organic quinoa at less than half what I would spend at our regional chain grocery.

I will say that not every Aldi-branded item has been great, but at those prices, it doesn't cost much to try something to see if you like it. Our store is also really expanding their organic and gluten free offerings if that's important to you.

You should be able to check them out at aldi.com. There's usually a sale flyer and some other information about their brands and products.

If you decide to go check it out, take a quarter to "rent" a cart and a shopping bag or two. Also, you may want to find out if your store takes credit cards in addition to debit cards and cash. The one near me just started accepting credit this year; before that, some folks were caught short of cash in the check-out line.

• Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Aldi does take credit now. They started it about 6 months ago or so.

Even if the one by me does take credit now, I still refuse to shop there. The outside of the store looks like it hasn't been maintained in years. The inside, at least when I went the one time, was disgusting and looked like a breeding ground for bacteria. When I asked about the cleanliness to the manager, he was rude and said if I wasn't happy, don't shop there. Not a way to run a business at all. While not taking credit may have been a huge reason I refused to shop there, there are other reasons as well.

I'm a fan of our local Aldi, but I wouldn't shop at one that looked the way you describe it, either! Ew.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Charis50 wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of people mention shopping at Aldi, and some of my friends' diaries has some Aldi foods in it. So, I'm wondering... what is it that you find so great about Aldi? And, no, I don't mean that in a smarty pants kinda way. I really want to know what you go to Aldi for that you consider must-haves or staples in your food life?

I have an Aldi relatively sorta close to my house but never go there because, well, traffic. Just trying to see if it's a place I gotta get to!

Ok, so three years ago, our Aldi was generally considered a "low rent" kind of store. Off-brand stuff at lower prices, bag-your-own groceries. I was hesitant to shop there.

Not now. Their stuff isn't just inexpensive, some of it is better quality than you can get anywhere else in town.

There are great deals every week on fresh produce--and sometimes it's even national brands (last week I bought a pint of fresh Dole blueberries for 99 cents, when across town they were $2.99). Staples are a steal, as others have pointed out, but they offer some more unusual pantry items, too: canned wild-caught salmon for under $3, and organic quinoa at less than half what I would spend at our regional chain grocery.

I will say that not every Aldi-branded item has been great, but at those prices, it doesn't cost much to try something to see if you like it. Our store is also really expanding their organic and gluten free offerings if that's important to you.

You should be able to check them out at aldi.com. There's usually a sale flyer and some other information about their brands and products.

If you decide to go check it out, take a quarter to "rent" a cart and a shopping bag or two. Also, you may want to find out if your store takes credit cards in addition to debit cards and cash. The one near me just started accepting credit this year; before that, some folks were caught short of cash in the check-out line.

Maybe this explains some things. I responded earlier, and said I was immediately turned off by Aldi when I walked in. But that was almost 10 years ago. I guess it is time to give it another try, as long as they accept debit cards.

The only other thing that gives me pause is that it is owned by the same people running Trader Joes. I don't hate Trader Joe's, but I have never figured out why people love it so much. I've been several times, and I have some times found some neat things. But the store is always crowded and cramped, and it has never seemed worth it to go back often. Maybe I am just a standard grocery store person :(.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I go to Aldi because it's next door to the gym. I get fresh fruit and veg,& meats from there nearly every day. My UK Aldi products do not stay fresh for very long for some reason. Only got to look at the broccoli and it goes off, so I buy little and often them use straight away.
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I usually go to Aldi for meat, much cheaper than Sainsburys, and never had a bad experience. Blue Stilton half the price. But, some of the veg doesn't last very long. I won't buy peppers or broccoli there, and I have had trouble with cherry tomaytoes going "hairy". Chorizo is good, and cheap. Lidl's greek yoghurt tastes better, and comes in a 1kg pot for £1.39. But I can't do a full shop in either.
  • happycpl052
    happycpl052 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Aldi has good quality food that is very inexpensive and also several different & unique items, flavors, of foods. It gives you the opportunity to try some different items including many organic options, without breaking the bank. They also have several "knock-offs" of popular brand cereals in their Fit & Lively line. Good quality. Also if you are dissatisfied with the quality of any product, for any reason, they will give you a replacement. I have not had to use that as everything is good. I am always amazed at the checkout how much my total bill is for the amount of food I purchased.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I like Aldi. The fruit and veg is good quality and much cheaper than other local supermarkets (I live in South-West England). You can get big packs of chicken, beef and fish for a good price, and I like their chocolate and fruit & nut mixes.

Only thing which puts me off is the lack of lactose/dairy free stuff, but I definitely save money by using Aldi for fresh food.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Where else can you get frozen 4 ounce ahi tuna steaks for about $2 a steak. The produce last longer than Publix or Winn Dixie too.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1. It's cheap.

It's cheap because you bring your own bags, bag your own food, and you pay a quarter to use the carts. Also, no credit cards.

They take credit cards... I use them there all the time cuz I never carry cash...

ETA -oops just saw someone else mentioned this... disregard.
  • projectjen
    projectjen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just got back from Aldi!

I got:
    4 steak filets
    2 packs of brats
    8 hamburger patties
    2 bags of chips
    1 box of poptarts
    2 packages of buns
    1 package of cheese
    1 bag of grapes

$32.00
    YAY
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Maybe this explains some things. I responded earlier, and said I was immediately turned off by Aldi when I walked in. But that was almost 10 years ago. I guess it is time to give it another try, as long as they accept debit cards.

The only other thing that gives me pause is that it is owned by the same people running Trader Joes. I don't hate Trader Joe's, but I have never figured out why people love it so much. I've been several times, and I have some times found some neat things. But the store is always crowded and cramped, and it has never seemed worth it to go back often. Maybe I am just a standard grocery store person :(.

Actually, they are two different companies. Aldi was owned/founded by two brothers. One split from the Aldi and later founded Trader Joes.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Aldi is like Walmart, but better. It is a great place for basics. Sure you need to put a quarter in the cart and don't use bags, but no biggie. I love the 2 lb, five cheese pizza for $5.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Aldis can be hit or miss. Some are pristine and you'll feel like you're in a high-end grocery, others can be a little scary. If the closest one doesn't cut it, it's worth the drive to get to a decent one.
  • stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was turned off by Aldi years ago, but I buy 75% of our groceries there these days. Cheap and fresh produce, 39 cent eggs, 89 cent gallons of milk, every time I go I seem to find something else I really like. When they had their French thing some months ago, they had really good macarons $4/dz and they were better than ones I've had that were $2 per cookie. I'm hoping they bring those back
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear they take credit cards *now* because before they did not.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I haven't shopped there yet, but plan to when it has its grand opening here. Once it does, it'll be the closest grocery store to home [less than a mile away]. To me that's a pretty good incentive.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I actually just went shopping at Aldi earlier today! Some highlights from my trip:
    - pair of yoga pants
    - Cauliflower
    - Broccoli
    - Organic bananas
    - Organic strawberries
    - Organic packaged lettuce of various kinds
    - Kefir
    - Yogurt cheese (I'm going to try this tonight for the first time -- I hope that it's yummy!)
    - Goat cheese
    - Aged Vermont cheddar
    - Organic red grapes
    - Organic, grass-fed ground beef
    - Uncured bacon
    - Watermelon
    - Cantaloupe
    - Organic carrots
    - Pork rinds
    - Organic almond milk
    - Gluten free pizza crust mix
    - Gluten free animal cookies

...Among some other things. Everything came out to be about $93, which is great considering that that will pretty much feed my family of three for *most* of a week. The ground beef alone would have easily been +$3.00 a pound at any other store. I still wish that they carried organic chicken. If they did, I would hardly ever have to go to Kroger anymore.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I buy aldi's own brands and find them just as good as the famous brand at a fraction of he cost. I can't tell the difference on lots of things. In UK I have never known the long lines someone was talking about, in fact quite the reverse. If the line gets to the end of he checkout, they open another one straight away. I find Aldi amazing. Last week I bought my weeks shopping plus two breakfast bar stools (the gas ones that go up and down) for £68.00. I think that would be around $60.00 ish. Amazing value. I also bought my Halogen oven there and it is much better quality than the ones I have bought previously online and much much cheaper.
  • MelMel1515
    MelMel1515 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's!

I do most of my grocery shopping there. The only problem I have with Aldi's is they are never seem to be consistent. I'm sure it's different everywhere, but it always seems once I find something I really like there and go back to buy the item it is no longer available or its months before they have it again. That is only seems to happen with snacky type foods or frozen foods, but they alway have your basics like milk, eggs, and produce and always seem to have the lowest prices in town. They also have a growing organic section too!