This explains alot about why almond milk is inexpensive and lacks protein!

Options
13»

Replies

• LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "mucus-causing, disease-fueling cocktail." That's a little too overwrought for me.

I'm supposed to drink 8 oz of milk per day, for the calcium and vitamin D. Regular milk has carbs, cream doesn't have the D. Cashew milk (at least the kind I buy) has no carbs and is fortified with... calcium and vitamin D. I don't have to take more pills, and also it tastes good. Everybody wins. Well, actually just me I guess. LOL.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    I stopped reading at "mucus-causing, disease-fueling cocktail." That's a little too overwrought for me.

Yeah, I went from reading to quickly skimming at that point. I don't fall for fear-mongering.

I use mostly cashew milk for my recipes and sauces because it's 25 calories a cup. I don't drink coffee and I buy a box of cereal maybe once every 18 months. If I wasn't watching my calories I'd use cow's milk. I have no allergies and don't rely on that one food product for my nutrition.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only reason I use Almond milk is because I drink alot of milky tea, so i make up a mix of regular milk and vanilla almond milk. This keeps the calories down and helps my skin as i tend to break out if i drink too much milk.

I have tried many times to add straight almond milk to my tea and cereal and it's foul, it wrecks the flavour of both.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I switched from unsweetened almond milk to soy milk when I realized how little protein almond milk has. I'm always looking for ways to get more protein. I use Silk brand now which is 6 or 8g of protein per cup. The Carbmaster brand at Kroger has 11g of protein and less calories than the Silk I buy. I think I'm going to try that when I'm out.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You can get a gallon of regular milk for about $2.50-$2.99 where I live. A half gallon of almond milk is about $2.50-$3.00 for me, so it's definitely way more expensive here. I only buy it for my cereal, oatmeal and the like, cause it's way better on calories. I worry about getting protein from other sources. And more recently, I've moved to unsweetened cashew milk with vanilla for my cereal. 25 calories a cup in cashew milk blows away about 90+ for a cup of milk in my cereal.

I use it as a good alternative. I don't rely on it for nutrition, although, it's loaded with calcium!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I stopped reading at 'almonds are an amazing source of protein'.

You should have continued reading, it said it was a good protein alternative for vegetarians

its NOT good source of protein for vegetarians as far as calories go. youd have to eat an insane amount to match say.. tofu on protein