Protein Question

13»

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    It's recommended to get about 50-60g of protein per day. Eating additional protein won't make you lose weight if that's what you're wondering.

Without meaning to be picky ...For who?

That's very specific. So a 7' bodybuilder and a 5' 100lb 60 year old should consume the same protein amount?

Eating adequate protein and training appropriately helps to achieve specific fitness goals such as preserving maximum muscles in defecit, or muscle repair / building muscle in surplus

All weight movement is a combination of fat, muscle and water

P. Sure the OP isn't a 7 ft tall body builder.
    Protein is over emphasized on these forums. There's like 10 threads a day about it. And people still thinking its 1 g per pound. Most people here are fat. If you're a short fat person weighing 270 you probably don't need 270 g of protein a day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    It's recommended to get about 50-60g of protein per day. Eating additional protein won't make you lose weight if that's what you're wondering.

That's very specific. So a 7' bodybuilder and a 5' 100lb 60 year old should consume the same protein amount?

Eating adequate protein and training appropriately helps to achieve specific fitness goals such as preserving maximum muscles in defecit, or muscle repair / building muscle in surplus

Protein is over emphasized on these forums. There's like 10 threads a day about it. And people still thinking its 1 g per pound. Most people here are fat. If you're a short fat person weighing 270 you probably don't need 270 g of protein a day.

It's 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, not weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2016

Sweeping generalizations about the sites demographics aside, the person in your example could do with some extra protein (as in more than the 50-60 you recommend) as they are losing, particularly if they are working out. The guidelines are for people who are maintaining their weight, not losing, and not trying to build muscle through bulking. Context matters.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2016

EXACTLY!! I ate 100 grams of Protein for Lunch today and more than likely another 50-75 in my dinner tonight (iced King crab legs)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

Which is similar to 0.6-0.8g per lb bodyweight (at goal)

I think protein is under eaten by many on these forums

Only bro science bodybuilders still seem to buy into the 1g per lb myth
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

Which is similar to 0.6-0.8g per lb bodyweight (at goal)

I think protein is under eaten by many on these forums

Only bro science bodybuilders still seem to buy into the 1g per lb myth

I rarely see anyone on here generally recommending 1 gram per pound of overall body weight. I think people more often fail to read and pay attention to context and simply jump to the summaries and general recomendations, rather than thinking about how information fits into their own goals and experiences. Put another way, I think people take good advice meant as a general guideline and then run with it as if it's absolute gospel for all people in all situations. Context matters. So, for example, protein intake may need to go up for someone who is already lean and cutting. Of course, for the OP and the context of this thread, the context is such that even 0.6 grams per pound of body weight would be a good starting goal. The OP may want to slowly increase protein intake and figure out how to do that within his/her current diet. I personally find it very easy to hit 200 grams of protein per day because I've had the time to figure out not only what foods fit into my goals but which of those I'm actually willing to consume regularly. For someone just starting out, that may be a difficult process and I'm pretty sure most of us well remember how hard that can be.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    7 foot body builder I had to see if one exists could you imagine the food this dude needs to eat to stay this big- obvious steroids but still Damm

7udb0g943x6y.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm 5'8 147ishlbs and get between 100-180g of protein a day, I don't purposefully aim for those numbers, i just gravitate toward higher protein foods.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    7 foot body builder I had to see if one exists could you imagine the food this dude needs to eat to stay this big- obvious steroids but still Damm

7udb0g943x6y.jpg

Martyn Ford is 6'8 and scary. Not 7', but damn....
    s02xuwk3diiu.jpeg

His story is pretty crazy. He used to be twig. Gear or not, a lotta work.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I'm the same as you - started with kcal and now focussing on protein and fibre targets. I'd look out for higher protein veggies like soya beans and peas, and eggs can help boost protein. Although I struggle without including yogurt/milk/jerky/protein powder as a boost to hit that level.

As for chocolate - there's a snickers protein bar! Haven't actually tried it yet, but under 200kcal for 18g protein it might hit two birds with one stone!

I saw this about the Snickers protein bar and got super excited! And then I googled and realized it's a UK product. *sadpanda* :'(

I can assure you that the snickers marathon protein bars are in the US. I eat them every time I go to WAWA.

what about the mars ones too? They're on sale here for 5 mars and 5 snickers protein bars for $30.00. Not sure if i should order since theyre the same price as quest (aka super effing expensive).

we dont have mars bars in the US they stopped selling them in the 90s I think it was. so no theres no mars protein either but there is the snickers one.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I'm the same as you - started with kcal and now focussing on protein and fibre targets. I'd look out for higher protein veggies like soya beans and peas, and eggs can help boost protein. Although I struggle without including yogurt/milk/jerky/protein powder as a boost to hit that level.

As for chocolate - there's a snickers protein bar! Haven't actually tried it yet, but under 200kcal for 18g protein it might hit two birds with one stone!

I saw this about the Snickers protein bar and got super excited! And then I googled and realized it's a UK product. *sadpanda* :'(

I can assure you that the snickers marathon protein bars are in the US. I eat them every time I go to WAWA.

what about the mars ones too? They're on sale here for 5 mars and 5 snickers protein bars for $30.00. Not sure if i should order since theyre the same price as quest (aka super effing expensive).

we dont have mars bars in the US they stopped selling them in the 90s I think it was. so no theres no mars protein either but there is the snickers one.

Well, i just moved overseas... so i can't speak for right now and in all of the us... but...

I know for certain that Mars bars can be bought in Texas and California. Krogers, HEB, Randalls, etc. all have mars bars. They are almost identical to milky ways. Overseas the milky ways are just like our 3 musketeers.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited August 2016

They just renamed them Snickers Almond.
    Im pretty sure we had snickers almonds while we had mars bars, we even had mars with almonds back then too.but other than that we dont have mars bars or mars protein bars. thats why I said what I did.mars with almonds used to be my favorite and snickers almond is not the same thing or even close sad to say.so I dont understand where people or the internet gets saying they were renamed when really they werent.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I consume 160-200 grams of protein a day. I lift six days a week though. If I exercised less, or not at all. Then I would adjust accordingly. It's like with any macro. What fits my needs, is not what the next person needs to fit theirs.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    In a deficit I eat around 1.2 grams per pound. In maintenance down around. 8 per pound. It helps maintain muscle mass in a deficit.