Diet sodas, Just a thought

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Didn't they just discover that diet soda is tricking the body into thinking it needs more sugar and causing people to over eat more or something like that?

I think the body is smarter than that, and people can control their own eating if they decide to.

It's more about thinking diet soda somehow cancels out the calories of what you eat.
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Didn't they just discover that diet soda is tricking the body into thinking it needs more sugar and causing people to over eat more or something like that?

Thats one example of what people will say. Yes and no, it triggers the 'reward' system in your brain of getting something sweet. But getting that reward from diet coke instead of the calories of what you normal would have gotten from normal soda. Lets just say its a big difference
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just heard it on the news one day, but didn't really pay that much attention because I don't eat or drink anything that has the words "diet", "low fat", or "low %" on the container or package. All those things mean is additional processing and/or chemicals added, and then 10 years later someone finds out that people shouldn't have been eating/drinking those things... oops.

In my opinion, if you have to be that critical with your calories, you are either eating/drinking too much junk, or not exercising enough, or both.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I love em for that reason.

I just really like carbonation. I'm actually considering using some Ibotta earnings on a Sodastream when a good sale comes around to save some cash. As much want to drink, stuff can get pricey!

Fuddruckers had a Coke Freestyle machine. I refilled three times and got something new each time.

If you have HEB in your area, try their store brand sodas. They have a strawberry I love.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I recommend Goslings Diet Ginger Beer and the La Croix Coconut as well

La Croix Coconut lover here. Also diet Coke, Fresca, diet Mt. Dew, and diet Dr. Pepper.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I actually can't drink Diet Mountain Dew (or the regular stuff) since they reformulated with Brominated Vegetable Oil. I pretty much have to obsessively read all labels because many citrus-flavored drinks use BVO as a flavor enhancer.

Unfortunately, the vegetable oil that's brominated is soybean oil, and ... *growls* I'm allergic...
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just heard it on the news one day, but didn't really pay that much attention because I don't eat or drink anything that has the words "diet", "low fat", or "low %" on the container or package. All those things mean is additional processing and/or chemicals added, and then 10 years later someone finds out that people shouldn't have been eating/drinking those things... oops.

In my opinion, if you have to be that critical with your calories, you are either eating/drinking too much junk, or not exercising enough, or both.

Diet sodas are around for 35 years. We would have heard by now if it was bad
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooooooooooooove Diet A&W.. 'Diet Snapple Peach' which has 10cals.. and sugar free red bull which is also 10 cals. Pepsi max is great and I am usually a coke kind of girl
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I loved Diet Pepsi, until they change to sucralose. I love doet Barq's and Diet Coke.

Right now I really only drink Sprite Zero and diet mug though since I can't have caffeine.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Coke and Red Bull are the main reason i have to be on diet right now. So addicted to that stuff with normally a 1500 kcal a day extra because of that.

Diet Coke and Sugarfree Red Bull!

I'm a grad student, I wouldn't survive without either.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Diet Mt Dew is where it's at! <3
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I actually can't drink Diet Mountain Dew (or the regular stuff) since they reformulated with Brominated Vegetable Oil. I pretty much have to obsessively read all labels because many citrus-flavored drinks use BVO as a flavor enhancer.

Unfortunately, the vegetable oil that's brominated is soybean oil, and ... *growls* I'm allergic...

Yep, although I don't have any allergies, I'm not a fan of BVO so try to limit my diet Mt Dew consumption.
  • Hornsby
    Options

No, diet or low fat does not mean "more processing or additional chemicals added".
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

No, diet or low fat does not mean "more processing or additional chemicals added".

Technically, it does, BUT the reason for concern should rather be that customers are tricked into paying more (either because each item costs more, or because we buy larger amounts, or both) for nutritionally poorer and less flavorful items.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Technically, it does, BUT the reason for concern should rather be that customers are tricked into paying more (either because each item costs more, or because we buy larger amounts, or both) for nutritionally poorer and less flavorful items.

Theoretically it might. Technically, it does not.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

Can you explain? I would imagine that removing something from a food takes more processing than not removing, and that what you'd replace naturally occuring parts of foods with, would be called, eh, "chemicals". I'm not concerned about chemimals, but I prefer to keep the naturally occurring ones, unless they are poisonous.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Can you explain? I would imagine that removing something from a food takes more processing than not removing, and that what you'd replace naturally occuring parts of foods with, would be called, eh, "chemicals". I'm not concerned about chemimals, but I prefer to keep the naturally occurring ones, unless they are poisonous.

Sure. Diet Pepsi and Pepsi have the same amount of ingredients. One is diet. One is not. So same amount of "chemicals" and I am unsure how Diet Pepsi is more processed than regular Pepsi.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Doesn't have that effect on me. Besides, not all diet drinks have the same sweetener in them.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options

I think it depends on the food. Fat-free dairy, for instance, has fat removed but nothing added (at least in the brands I purchase). Foods such as diet pop/soda are formulated - instead of adding high fructose corn syrup, aspartame or other sugar substitute is added.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

I think it depends on the food. Fat-free dairy, for instance, has fat removed but nothing added (at least in the brands I purchase). Foods such as diet pop/soda are formulated - instead of adding high fructose corn syrup, aspartame or other sugar substitute is added.
    Mentali wrote: »

There's nothing natural about non-diet soda either, don't worry LOL :D

You may both have a point there :D