Anyone here take Phentermine?

Options
2»

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago for a bit over a week, I think I lived in the bathroom that entire time. I stopped, doctor recommended I try it again, found a new doctor. I am now 100+pounds down and have kept pretty stable for over 18 months through diet. I did gain about 15-20 lbs to keep up with my lifting and am now cutting down and have no problem doing so. Learning how to manage calories and portions has given me a new lease on life. Thyroid meds and some testosterone do help.
  • BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I want to take a weight-loss supplement. But I don't wanna pay an arm and a leg for it. I need to help with my cravings
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I want to take a weight-loss supplement. But I don't wanna pay an arm and a leg for it. I need to help with my cravings

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So what happens when you have to give the phentermine up? Did it teach you that you need to eat less?

I learned nothing from being on phentermine. Well, except distrust of the pharmaceutical weight loss industry.

Here's my favorite post about phentermine:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1

I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • jasonraymiller
    jasonraymiller Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I prefer COCAINE "I GOT THAT BRICK IN YO FACE"!! Honestly, all I do is take multi-vitamins, green tea matcha in my water when I cycle...drink Atkins or slimfast in the morning which curbs my appetite and exercise, which also curbs my appetite. Control your appetite, with coffee or tea or dense snacks like peanut butter & cottage cheese, sleep enough, exercise and reduce stress...you'll lose weight without Phentermine...