What age did you start struggling with weight?

Options

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    23 is when I started gaining weight, about 15 lbs, probably got up to around 140. I got engaged and moved with him to a new state where I didn't know anyone. We bought tollhouse cookies and baked a dozen every night and sat in front of the tv eating them with milk, for like 3 straight months. I hadn't been to a gym since moving here so I signed up and started watching what I was eating and started losing weight. Then I got pregnant, gained about 32 lbs, lost 16 right after birth. When I went back to the gym around 9 months post partum I got back down to 132ish, and I've now been holding steady at 137/138 ever since (7 years). I don't think I'll ever get back to my pre engagement/pregnancy weight of under 130 but I'm pretty content with where I'm at (pretty much anything under 140). No one I tell can even believe I weight that much, I carry it well expect I can bloat quite a bit in my belly to where I've actually had people ask if I'm pregnant :|
  • mulberry_xoxo
    mulberry_xoxo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh...I'd say since elementary school. About 3rd grade. I'm now 21. Starting my weight loss journey.
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    About 22. My older sister had a bridesmaid dress made in a size too small and in a shape I said wouldn't flatter me (as a pear-shape, I needed an A-line dress, not a straight up and down). I had a fitting a few days before the wedding and got teased for having gone up in weight from 126lbs to 130lbs and I felt huge and disgusting. WOW - I wish I could go back and tell myself to LOVE being 130lbs! Good lesson in how tiny negative comments can be hugely damaging (whimpers and lies back on the therapist's couch).
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    fireytiger wrote: »
    What has been the norm for me for 16 years has been to eat what I want, feel terrible about myself, try to diet, succeed for 2 weeks to 2 months, then fall off and gain it all back plus some.

ME
  • k8mcminn
    k8mcminn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Grade school. I always dreaded the weight and height screenings. I was always at least 20lbs more than all of the other children.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how old everyone else was when they started struggling with their weight?

I remember getting weighed and measured for skiing on grade 7 I was 107 lbs at 5'7. Grade 9 I was 183 lbs. I've gained and lost weight a couple times over the years but have been 190+ lbs for the past 22 years. Scary to think about actually.

As a child I was at the higher end of healthy weight. My weight gain started around my first period (about 13yo), made a couple of jumps over my adult years (18, 22, 24) and then starting around 26 I bounced back and forth in a 20 lbs range for four years before finally giving myself a kick in the *kitten* this past spring. I now weigh less than I have in about 8 years.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    in high school, I was 100% a healthy weight, and strong and active.
    I was also 6 inches taller than most of my friends, and so I weighed more and wore larger sizes than them.
    Pretty much everyone called me "fat." because I weighed a whole 145 pounds (at 5'10") and wore a size 13.
    (Do the BMI math. I was literally perfect).
    Friends who were 5'0" and weighed 140 pounds would compare themselves to me and say "we" were fat together. They'd say "at least I don't weigh what YOU weigh."
    So I learned I was just enormous and awful. Pretty much just from being myself, because I was tall, and tall meant big, and big was bad.

My weight problem started, pretty much, as OTHER people's weight problems.

It's why I get so ticked off when women toss around flat numbers without context as "okay" or "normal" for other women, like "Lets face it, size 10 is ENORMOUS," or "Stop deluding yourself, 150 pounds is just too much for a woman." Or "Women should eat 1200 calories." Its ridiculous - as though the taller you are, the less space you're supposed to actually take up.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Mid-thirties. We moved out to the country and suddenly there was no more convenience food. I had to cook everything from scratch. Unfortunately for my figure, I turned out to be a really good cook!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    in high school, I was 100% a healthy weight, and strong and active.
    I was also 6 inches taller than most of my friends, and so I weighed more and wore larger sizes than them.
    Pretty much everyone called me "fat." because I weighed a whole 145 pounds (at 5'10") and wore a size 13.
    (Do the BMI math. I was literally perfect).
    Friends who were 5'0" and weighed 140 pounds would compare themselves to me and say "we" were fat together. They'd say "at least I don't weigh what YOU weigh."
    So I learned I was just enormous and awful. Pretty much just from being myself, because I was tall, and tall meant big, and big was bad.

My weight problem started, pretty much, as OTHER people's weight problems.

It's why I get so ticked off when women toss around flat numbers without context as "okay" or "normal" for other women, like "Lets face it, size 10 is ENORMOUS," or "Stop deluding yourself, 150 pounds is just too much for a woman." Or "Women should eat 1200 calories." Its ridiculous - as though the taller you are, the less space you're supposed to actually take up.

I'm also a firm believer in the context. Even the success stories here. I believe folks should list their height, weight, gender and age before tossing around weight stats.
    I have a niece who tells anyone who'll listen that she lost "a bunch of weight" and is now "the same size" I am. I'm 5'6". She's 5.0". But yes. We both weigh 135.
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Always. I hit 240 in the 9th grade. I remember my mom telling me I was going to be fat as a house in middle school. Even then I remember being furious because she was the one buying all of the crap I kept eating. I lived in a house where vegetables were optional and if necessary corn was most likely or creamed corn.

Flash forward I'm 30 in two weeks and I finally feel like I'm in control of my eating. But still so far to go.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I never had any problems with my weight until I was about twenty-five years old and got a desk job. Before that, I'd always been active enough to keep up with all I was eating. After that, I started gaining weight.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I was 10 when my best friend called my fat and I've been dieting ever since.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple for me. Close to 30 for me. I think like most, after getting married and having kids pounds slowly creep'd on while I was doing the Dad and husband thing. No real time for the sports and exercise I enjoyed, and just eating along without much thought. Fast forward 10 years and 30+ pounds stacked on.

• benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    22. That's when I stopped being able to eat whatever I wanted without gaining a pound. By then, I was so used to trying to gain weight and failing that I couldn't slow down my eating. It was all habitual. I turned into a whale and it wasn't awesome.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    Early 30s. I had always been slim and able to eat whatever I wanted without gaining weight. Then, all of a sudden, I couldn't...
  • coachsaralee
    coachsaralee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was overweight in junior high but was ok by high school. Then yoyo'd up and down over the years but not too bad until menopause. By 59 I was 48.9% body fat and had resigned myself to being there.... thought it was just getting old. I am now in the BEST shape of my life at 64. It's never too late to figure it out and turn things around.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I would say once I hit puberty and got my cycle, so middle school.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just realized I didn't clearly state ages. I was 24 when I started gaining weight from a skinny for my 5'7" 123 lbs (or less, one year) I had been from 12-13 on. I was 27 the first time in my life I ever felt "fat" at 150 lbs but was still within normal BMI range. I reached the clinically overweight cusp of 160 lbs at 28 and again at 32. I reached clinically obese cusp of 200 lbs at 39.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I started gaining weight in my early 20's when I left home the first time. I grew up out in the country with little money, a big garden, and lots of outdoor activity. When I moved to the city and had my own money, I went overboard on fast food, junk food, and sitting on my butt watching cable TV.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Should have answered the rest. I "knew" I was fat, but was at a healthy weight and eating right, so I didn't really struggle - I just felt bad. I gained weight to put me into "overweight" after I got a job that kept me in an office and a car that meant I didn't bike or walk everyplace I needed to go, and there was a break room down the hall that had cookies every day. I could eat cookies every day and not gain weight when I was walking everywhere like a student, but not when I was sedentary.