How often do you log your weight?

Options
I know people weigh themselves daily, weekly, whatever, but how often do you make a note of your weight on MFP?

I weigh myself once a week on a Monday morning and usually log my weight loss then. But I've been toying with the idea of still weighing myself each Monday morning but only logging it on the 1st of every month. Part of this is because I first joined MFP at the start of July and while I remember my starting weight and the first week's loss, I can't remember how much I lost in the other weeks (because I had an internal tantrum and deleted my account lol). But also because it's been mentioned on here that weight loss isn't logical/linear, so maybe seeing a monthly loss will give a better indication of how things are going over all? Plus I feel like logging one bigger number lost will be more motivating than several smaller numbers. Not sure.

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I log every day if I can. Sometimes I skip though if the daily fluctuation is too big; I know it's just a water weight thing but it makes me feel better to not have that number in my chart :D

I enjoy that when I zoom out to 3 or 6 months I have so many entries but I can see the line zigzagging its way down.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I only log when my weight is at least 0.2 down. I do not log my weight that fluctuates up. I gain and lose upwards of 9 pounds a week for a net loss of anywhere from 1.5lbs-3lbs
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Daily because my connected scale does it for me.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I log my weight daily in fitbit because I prefer the way the loss history is displayed there. I allow it to transfer the data to MFP.

The only problem I have with this is when my weight fluctuates day to day, my friends see only the drops and don't realize, for example, that of today's loss, only a quarter pound of it is new loss.
  • rhiannongrindley
    rhiannongrindley Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but log on mfp every Monday. I capture no matter how large or small the change is. I had one increase (in my first week) and I logged that too.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I just re-synced my aria fitbit scale so it's logged every time I weigh now which is pretty much everyday.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I log every time I lose 2lbs so at the start of my weight loss I was logging every Monday morning like you but now the weight loss has slowed down a little, I probably end up logging every 2 weeks or so. I stopped weighing myself every day for a few weeks too but now I'm nearing maintenance and focusing more on exercise I'm back to weighing every day jut because I'm petrified of gaining! I guess it's a personal preference. Whether you log it or not it won't make those numbers on the scale disappear from your mind or make it any less true so as long as you know how your weight loss is going it doesn't matter. I see logging on here as more of a little boost to see it go down on a chart and to be able to 'change' my weight to a lower number :) so if you want to be able to log bigger changes then go for it! I'd still weig myself more often than that though.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I log my weight everyday, but only to the .5 pound. Right now I still have a lot to lose, so worrying about increments smaller than that aren't my priority.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Rarely. I need to do that more, but my weight stays the same most of the time.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Once a week, but I'm skipping a week because I just got my period and I'm bloated.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but only log it when the weight changes.
  • Nyusha21
    Nyusha21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    eIIekay wrote: »
    i weigh myself sometimes every couple days, sometimes several times a day. Whenever I see a lower number, I log it and I don't log the higher ones along the way. Sometimes I log every day, Sometimes a couple times a week, depending on what the scale tells me :)

This. Logging everytime makes me question everything and hindering the progress.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily (have for years, even before trying to lose weight), and log the result in a weight-trending app. (I use Libra for Android, but there's Happy Scale for iOS, Trendweight, and others). These uses statistics to somewhat "smooth out" your daily fluctuations and show an overall direction your weight seems to be heading.

On MFP, I logged only new lows while losing, and in maintenance have left my MFP weight set at goal weight, as long as I'm just fluctuating up & down close to it.

Lots of approaches work; maybe experiment and see what's most motivating & helpful for you.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Every two days. Then, I consider my weekly average when trying to determine my 'true' weight, as there is a lot of day-to-day fluctuation (sometimes as much 3-4 lbs).
  • beetle_stomper
    beetle_stomper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I log every fluctuation. It can be frustrating when the scale is going up, or bouncing back and forth like an excited toddler. But it keeps me accountable, reminds me why I'm paying attention to my portions, reminds me that yeah, I DO need to hit the gym, or at least take a stroll around the block.
  • MaxineMarieM
    MaxineMarieM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. In the past I was obsessed with the scale sometimes weighing 2 or 3 times a day everyday. This works better for me and is less stressful.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Every day during the week. Tend not to on weekends as usually eating higher calories in conjunction with longer runs and higher general tdee. The added calories and exercise seem to add significant water retention. Wednesday and Thursday are usually the lightest days of the week once the water weight flushes out.