Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kermax39 wrote: »
    I can determine it because im 40lbs lighter, I.didnt say it will work for everyone, I just answered the OPs question. Works for me and I always eat all the calories mpf sets for me with wine easily 500 calories on.top of that for 2 small glasses.

So you eat 1700 calories and not 1,200. Congratulations you've learned MFP sets calories low.
    Your gonna hate me lol but I never said I eat 1200, I eat 1400-1500. I lose 6lbs a month eating what mfp sets me as well as wine. I really dont know why people have such a problem with that, iv said it works FOR ME!
    Im not deluded, im well aware as I get closer to goal I will need to revaluate but until then ill keep doing what im doing.
    I would be willing to bet...based on my 20odd years of doing this, that if I ate those extra calories in fatty foods then I wouldnt lose 6lbs a month. If I was to give up wine or include it into my calories then I would fail, this works for me for now.

If you've been following this "plan" successfully for 20 odd years, I'm confused as to have you have any weight to lose at all.
    Lol im just same as everyone else, if I gain a bit then I do this....im not constantly on a diet for 20 yrs. Your twisting what I said. I dont include alcohol calories when I try to lose weight...never have.

I'm not trying to twist what you're saying, I'm trying to understand it. You're asking us to trust your claim that your body doesn't process the calories in alcohol due to your twenty years of experience with this plan of consuming alcohol sufficient to cancel out a calorie deficit and/or put you over the amount of calories you need to maintain. Since you're making an extraordinary claim (my body doesn't process calories in the way that the bodies of other people do and some of the energy I consume leaves my body without used in any way), people may question it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I can determine it because im 40lbs lighter, I.didnt say it will work for everyone, I just answered the OPs question. Works for me and I always eat all the calories mpf sets for me with wine easily 500 calories on.top of that for 2 small glasses.

So you eat 1700 calories and not 1,200. Congratulations you've learned MFP sets calories low.
    Your gonna hate me lol but I never said I eat 1200, I eat 1400-1500. I lose 6lbs a month eating what mfp sets me as well as wine. I really dont know why people have such a problem with that, iv said it works FOR ME!
    Im not deluded, im well aware as I get closer to goal I will need to revaluate but until then ill keep doing what im doing.
    I would be willing to bet...based on my 20odd years of doing this, that if I ate those extra calories in fatty foods then I wouldnt lose 6lbs a month. If I was to give up wine or include it into my calories then I would fail, this works for me for now.

People on here are so techy and quite rude with their "OPINIONS" arnt they!
    I completely agree with u I dont belive that alcohol calories are the same as food calories.
    I think it might have something to do with alcohol making you wee more, alot of it probably gets weed out instead of being digested like food (excuse the bluntness haha) afterall isnt that what your kidneys are supposed to do- get rid of toxins as quickly as possible?
    Just a theory?

You're right, alcohol calories are not the same as food calories. They are completely nutritionally devoid empty calories. However, they are not magical no-calorie calories.

ETA: with the possible exception for heavy drinkers who are damaging their livers. Since link I posted below.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I completely agree with u I dont belive that alcohol calories are the same as food calories.
    I think it might have something to do with alcohol making you wee more, alot of it probably gets weed out instead of being digested like food (excuse the bluntness haha) afterall isnt that what your kidneys are supposed to do- get rid of toxins as quickly as possible?
    Just a theory?

The "wee" is water leaving your body. It doesn't magically eliminate calories. Your body can still process those.

Water that goes in clear and comes out yellow? Wee is definitely not just water!

I never said that it was "just" water. What I am challenging is your claim that you're eliminating "alot" of alcohol calories -- without using them -- when you urinate. Many people urinate more when they drink because alcohol is a diuretic. To conclude, as you have, that this means our body doesn't process the calories in alcohol, would be a mistake.

• xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Just a theory?

The "wee" is water leaving your body. It doesn't magically eliminate calories. Your body can still process those.

Water that goes in clear and comes out yellow? Wee is definitely not just water!

I never said that it was "just" water. What I am challenging is your claim that you're eliminating "alot" of alcohol calories -- without using them -- when you urinate. Many people urinate more when they drink because alcohol is a diuretic. To conclude, as you have, that this means our body doesn't process the calories in alcohol, would be a mistake.

I am sorry genius but how do you know it is a "mistake"? Have u tested pee in a lab and concluded the results physically for yourself?
    Until you can come at me with actual facts then your claims only have as much worth as mine do!

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options

Water that goes in clear and comes out yellow? Wee is definitely not just water![/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly. By the time the alcohol gets through your system all of the calories are absorbed. Your pee doesn't look like wine, does it? If so, see a doctor.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options

[/quote]

Exactly. By the time the alcohol gets through your system all of the calories are absorbed. Your pee doesn't look like wine, does it? If so, see a doctor. [/quote]

Haha im not sure iv never tasted it lol! Alcohol is not coloured though?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Just a theory?

I am sorry genius but how do you know it is a "mistake"? Have u tested pee in a lab and concluded the results physically for yourself?
    Until you can come at me with actual facts then your claims only have as much worth as mine do!

Nah, you're right. Despite science to back up calories in/calories out, no matter the food/drink source, you are a special snowflake that alcohol calories don't count.

Many people have given you reasons why you have not gained yet. And really, I don't know why you bothered just to argue that you're a special snowflake. Once lean enough, your room for error will be less, and calories from alcohol will matter. But until then, keep doing what you're doing until you stall. But by the way you are behaving now, I suspect you will have another reason why you defy science. So good luck in a few months.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options

Just a theory?

You're the one claiming that the calories in alcohol don't count because they are eliminated by our body without being processed. The person making the extraordinary claim is the one responsible for providing some type of documentation.

If you share what you're basing your claim on, I'll be happy to consider it. I'm not saying I'm automatically right. But I don't agree that all claims are of equal worth. Did YOU test urine in a lab before deciding that our bodies can't process the calories in alcohol? If not, why would you expect someone else to do so? This seems like a huge double standard.

It was just what I said initially- "a theory" I didn't once claim that was fact. Purely an opinion, which believe it or not everyone is entitled too!
    And my OP stems from personal experience, which doesnt lie!
    I didn't come here to argue with jumped up know it alls...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I feel like beer calories give me more abdominal fat and wine doesn't, scotch is low calorie because I don't use a mixer. That is my research anyway, and I research all three every day so I know my numbers are consistent.
  • tamms_1965
    tamms_1965 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have read research some time ago suggesting that chronic/binge drinkers waste calories and don't gain weight from it. I'm too lazy to find it, but it has something to do with damage/unusable metabolic pathway during heavy drinking. Low/moderate drinkers DO utilize the calories the same as other calories.

I, also, do not see an increase on the occasional "long night" with friends.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I find the same thing. There was a thread awhile back with similar findings I remember commenting on and someone linked an interesting study about all this, I'll see if I can dig it up. I say if it's working for you and you are still losing, just go with it

Ya know... I'm not going to be too popular with agreeing with this, but I kind of do. I have seen a few studies about this sort of thing. I also don't care enough to look up those studies.

Regardless, if you find that the alcohol calories are not hindering your weight loss, then continue as you were and address the issue if your weight loss ceases. That's all it comes down to.

Darn, I can't seem to find the thread. But it was a really interesting discussion about alcohol metabolism. Definitely not implying that alcohol doesn't contain calories or count of course, but how it was possibly processed differently especially in higher amounts. Again, not sure how true it all was since I only read a few studies on the matter, but it was some "booze" for thought.. :p
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    I find the same thing. There was a thread awhile back with similar findings I remember commenting on and someone linked an interesting study about all this, I'll see if I can dig it up. I say if it's working for you and you are still losing, just go with it

Ya know... I'm not going to be too popular with agreeing with this, but I kind of do. I have seen a few studies about this sort of thing. I also don't care enough to look up those studies.

Regardless, if you find that the alcohol calories are not hindering your weight loss, then continue as you were and address the issue if your weight loss ceases. That's all it comes down to.

Darn, I can't seem to find the thread. But it was a really interesting discussion about alcohol metabolism. Definitely not implying that alcohol doesn't contain calories or count of course, but how it was possibly processed differently especially in higher amounts. Again, not sure how true it all was since I only read a few studies on the matter, but it was some "booze" for thought.. :p

I wish I could read this lol stuff like this interests me :)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    tamms_1965 wrote: »
    I have read research some time ago suggesting that chronic/binge drinkers waste calories and don't gain weight from it. I'm too lazy to find it, but it has something to do with damage/unusable metabolic pathway during heavy drinking. Low/moderate drinkers DO utilize the calories the same as other calories.

Dated, but interesting:

Why the Body May Waste the Calories From Alcohol

...Dr. Charles S. Lieber, a New York physician who has been plumbing the depths of alcohol's many mysteries since 1957, has come up with a biochemical mechanism that he says largely accounts for the remarkable wastage of alcohol calories in heavy drinkers. Dr. Lieber published his findings in the current issue of The Journal of the American Society for Clinical Nutrition under the title, "Perspectives: Do Alcohol Calories Count?"

The answer, he said, is yes and no: yes, for a moderate social drinker who has a cocktail before dinner or an occasional glass of wine or a beer. For these people, alcohol calories can indeed add up.

But chronic heavy drinking can prime certain metabolic processes and, in effect, train the body to waste the seven calories a gram that alcohol ordinarily provides.

...heavy drinkers pay a stiff price for their metabolic inefficiency. The very process that enables their bodies to dissipate alcohol's calories as useless heat also converts a host of environmental and food-borne substances into chemicals that can seriously injure vital organs.

Some of these chemicals are outright cell poisons; others can initiate cancers, and still others can damage genetic material. Together these effects largely explain why heavy drinking is associated with a number of life-threatening diseases, including cirrhosis of the liver and cancer of the esophagus, said Dr. Lieber, a professor of medicine and pathology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/04/health/why-the-body-may-waste-the-calories-from-alcohol.html
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options

Just a theory?

You're the one claiming that the calories in alcohol don't count because they are eliminated by our body without being processed. The person making the extraordinary claim is the one responsible for providing some type of documentation.

If you share what you're basing your claim on, I'll be happy to consider it. I'm not saying I'm automatically right. But I don't agree that all claims are of equal worth. Did YOU test urine in a lab before deciding that our bodies can't process the calories in alcohol? If not, why would you expect someone else to do so? This seems like a huge double standard.

It was just what I said initially- "a theory" I didn't once claim that was fact. Purely an opinion, which believe it or not everyone is entitled too!

I have no idea why someone would argue for a theory that they didn't claim was factual. And if it isn't factual, then why say your personal experience doesn't "lie."

Personal experience can absolutely lie. We can be mistaken in our perceptions, there can be facts we aren't aware of influencing the outcome. We can misinterpret what happens. There are lots of ways in which using our personal experience to determine, factually, what is happening with our bodies (or the world) can mislead us.

If my "personal experience" is that my body does process the calories I consume and your "personal experience" is that your body doesn't process the calories you consume, we can't both say "Well, personal experience doesn't lie." There are things that are true, things that aren't true.

Why the insults though? Do you think it is possible to disagree with someone without insults?

You keep trying to contradict/ trip me up?
    Every body is different, did you know that?

• janejellyroll
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Dated, but interesting:

...Dr. Charles S. Lieber, a New York physician who has been plumbing the depths of alcohol's many mysteries since 1957, has come up with a biochemical mechanism that he says largely accounts for the remarkable wastage of alcohol calories in heavy drinkers. Dr. Lieber published his findings in the current issue of The Journal of the American Society for Clinical Nutrition under the title, "Perspectives: Do Alcohol Calories Count?"

The answer, he said, is yes and no: yes, for a moderate social drinker who has a cocktail before dinner or an occasional glass of wine or a beer. For these people, alcohol calories can indeed add up.

But chronic heavy drinking can prime certain metabolic processes and, in effect, train the body to waste the seven calories a gram that alcohol ordinarily provides.

...heavy drinkers pay a stiff price for their metabolic inefficiency. The very process that enables their bodies to dissipate alcohol's calories as useless heat also converts a host of environmental and food-borne substances into chemicals that can seriously injure vital organs.

Some of these chemicals are outright cell poisons; others can initiate cancers, and still others can damage genetic material. Together these effects largely explain why heavy drinking is associated with a number of life-threatening diseases, including cirrhosis of the liver and cancer of the esophagus, said Dr. Lieber, a professor of medicine and pathology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/04/health/why-the-body-may-waste-the-calories-from-alcohol.html

Interesting stuff -- thanks for sharing it.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Dated, but interesting:

Interesting stuff -- thanks for sharing it.

Thanks go to all the posters who referred to this concept that made me curious enough to google it :)
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options

Dated, but interesting:

Thank you :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Just a theory?

I have no idea why someone would argue for a theory that they didn't claim was factual. And if it isn't factual, then why say your personal experience doesn't "lie."

Personal experience can absolutely lie. We can be mistaken in our perceptions, there can be facts we aren't aware of influencing the outcome. We can misinterpret what happens. There are lots of ways in which using our personal experience to determine, factually, what is happening with our bodies (or the world) can mislead us.

If my "personal experience" is that my body does process the calories I consume and your "personal experience" is that your body doesn't process the calories you consume, we can't both say "Well, personal experience doesn't lie." There are things that are true, things that aren't true.

Why the insults though? Do you think it is possible to disagree with someone without insults?

You keep trying to contradict/ trip me up?
    Every body is different, did you know that?

I'm not trying to trip you up, I'm trying to discuss your theory.

I'm not sure what you mean by everybody being different. If you mean that there are some differences among humans, I agree. If you mean that there will be huge differences in what our bodies can use for energy, I will have to disagree.

Either way, I don't think insults contribute to the conversation.