Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    People rave about them, but they have yet to show up in my local Costco (or any other Costco that I visit during my travels).

They're only available online. I called my Costco several weeks ago about when they'll be available in my local warehouse (because I assumed other people were getting them at their warehouses) and they said this item is only available online and not sold in stores anywhere, and there's no indication as of yet they are going to be sold in stores.
    That must be for outside the US? I've seen then in about 5 different stores in Arizona and Virginia. I am not usually a fan of chocolate flavored protein bars but these are pretty good. No nasty "chocolate" coating and a decent texture. I've never had Quest bars so can't compare them but since Costco is known for taking name brand products and putting them into their own packaging it wouldn't surprise me if that is who makes them.
    I'm in VA, and that's what my Costco told me after looking up the info on their 'puter, so I dunno. I wanted them in store because as another poster pointed out they should be cheaper in store than online. But I'd love to know what Costco you go to because I haven't seen them at Alexandria, Dulles, or Winchester.

I personally don't think they're repackaged Quest bars, they're a very good dupe for Quest but I do think the Quest versions are more flavorful(more Nut buttery flavor). I suppose they could be a different formulation Quest is manufacturing just for Costco. It wouldn't surprise me.

***The bars are available on Costco.com, site was down when I looked for a direct link but when it's back a search for protein should return the results.

I was in Virginia Beach for work in mid-late June. We went to the Costco near there to pick up a few things.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    People rave about them, but they have yet to show up in my local Costco (or any other Costco that I visit during my travels).

They're only available online. I called my Costco several weeks ago about when they'll be available in my local warehouse (because I assumed other people were getting them at their warehouses) and they said this item is only available online and not sold in stores anywhere, and there's no indication as of yet they are going to be sold in stores.

I bought them at my Costco.

Love them! Not too sweet, and don't have the stevia aftertaste.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I was just at my local Costco and they had the Kirkland protein bars right next to ones made by Pure Protein.

Both boxes were about the same price for about the same quantity - about $17.50US. The macros are also about the same. The Kirkland bars only come in 2 flavors. The Pure Protein come in 3 flavors.

My guess is that Costco is marketing the Kirkland bars to directly compete w/the Pure Protein bars, which is something that Costco often does when it wants to take over a product line exclusively w/in their stores, which I bet really pisses off Pure Protein and other product mfgs that are undercut by Costco in this way - - but I digress.

FWIW, I've tried both bars - - Kirkland and Pure Protein - - and I prefer the Pure Protein bars because they have more flavors and they taste MUCH better to me. So, if you haven't tried the Pure Protein bars yet, I suggest you do so.

I think these bars are more competition/comparable to Quest bars--they have 15 grams of fiber. Pure Protein has only 1 or 2 grams of fiber.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Anyone try the Kirkland bars that are similar to quest bars...I saw cookies dough and brownie flavor. Just wondering if they are gross or good before I buy a whole box lol

Bought a box and tried them. Wasn't impressed. Flavor of both kinds got merely a "meh" response from me. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough tastes only slightly better than the Chocolate Brownie flavor. Once I finish the box, will definitely not be buying them again.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    I was just at my local Costco and they had the Kirkland protein bars right next to ones made by Pure Protein.

Both boxes were about the same price for about the same quantity - about $17.50US. The macros are also about the same. The Kirkland bars only come in 2 flavors. The Pure Protein come in 3 flavors.

My guess is that Costco is marketing the Kirkland bars to directly compete w/the Pure Protein bars, which is something that Costco often does when it wants to take over a product line exclusively w/in their stores, which I bet really pisses off Pure Protein and other product mfgs that are undercut by Costco in this way - - but I digress.

FWIW, I've tried both bars - - Kirkland and Pure Protein - - and I prefer the Pure Protein bars because they have more flavors and they taste MUCH better to me. So, if you haven't tried the Pure Protein bars yet, I suggest you do so.

I think these bars are more competition/comparable to Quest bars--they have 15 grams of fiber. Pure Protein has only 1 or 2 grams of fiber.

Yeah pure protien is higher in sugar and lower in fiber...I have never bought them due to the nutrition
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I keep waiting for a sample lol they sample stuff all the time but seam to skip the stuff I want to really try :P
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I got a box last time I was at Costco. They're not bad. I've never really eaten many brands of protein bars before so I can't say how they compare. Someone told me to try warming the brownie one in the microwave. I haven't done that yet but this person swore it was good that way.
  • klee0422
    klee0422 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

• minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    For my fellow UK residents -I emailed Costco UK Customer Care & got replies within 24 hours (impressed!), they are working on bringing the Kirkland protein bars to warehouses here, making sure they comply with EU regulations. They hope to have them in stock here by November or so, 2016; lets hope the onerous EU regs don't create a problem.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    To me they are slightly inferior Quest bars, but if you nuke them I can barely tell the difference. You can't beat the price either.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    jeichelb83 wrote: »
    To me they are slightly inferior Quest bars, but if you nuke them I can barely tell the difference. You can't beat the price either.

Slightly inferior in what sense? Taste, texture, nutrition? Like you said, definitely can't beat $.90 vs $2. They're both 190 calories and 21g of protein. Kirkland has 2g less fat, 7g of fat compared to Quest's 9g. Kirkland has 1g extra fiber, 15g compared to Quest's 14g. Same net carbs. I'm taking a wild guess that you were comparing flavor since you mentioned not telling the difference once they are nuked?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The only advantage Quest has over Kirkland is variety. Hopefully Costco will broaden their offerings at some point.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    They are in more stores now, they are ok I guess. Can't beat the price for the amount of protein. I prefer Soylent Food Bar or Joylent Twenny bar over these.

These type of protein bars, especially Kirkland almost have a waxy texture to them. They do keep you full though, which is the point.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    They currently aren't available in Costco in UK, but I contacted them and they will hopefully have jumped through EU loops and be successfully added to UK Costco stores in November. Fingers crossed.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I bought my first box at my local Costco last week and have been enjoying them quite a bit. Every bit the equivalent of the Quest bars in my opinion with the exception of variety. Two flavors in a box and that's it. I eat them every day for breakfast but the two flavors are getting a bit boring...