2»

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    OP as you said you still count calories, so the portion size is neither here or there. It still comes down to how many calories you're consuming. As long as you're burning more calories than you eat you shouldn't gain weight.

This.

The fact that a full plate bothers you is quite worrying though and sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I'm trying to find out more information on how this works. Especially since
    a) I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's and had to eliminate almost all meat products as I couldn't metabolize the fats without chronic pain and digestive issues (same with egg yolks). Additionally, I became gluten intolerant as well as lactose intolerant. I've recently learned to love vegetables and now eat them in large quantity. They make up over half of my meals.
    b) When eating out with family now, they freak out when seeing me pile my plate high with veggies at the salad bar.

Why do your family freak out at a plate of veg?

Probably because they see it as overeating. I'm the only one who piles my plate (with mainly veggies because I like them) and they see it in person during family meals when I'm visiting between college semester breaks and holiday breaks.

I know what you mean, my co workers tend to look at my massive lunches strangely. A lot of the time it's jealousy because I make delicious healthy food bulked out with veggies. I'm a volume eater too and also do IF so it's exaggerated because my calories are packed into a shorter time frame. The only downside I can see to volume eating is that you get used to eating large volumes of food which can backfire when you have a more calorie dense meal as you tend to want more to feel satisfied. Maybe that's just me?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    OP as you said you still count calories, so the portion size is neither here or there. It still comes down to how many calories you're consuming. As long as you're burning more calories than you eat you shouldn't gain weight.

This.

The fact that a full plate bothers you is quite worrying though and sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I'm trying to find out more information on how this works. Especially since
    a) I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's and had to eliminate almost all meat products as I couldn't metabolize the fats without chronic pain and digestive issues (same with egg yolks). Additionally, I became gluten intolerant as well as lactose intolerant. I've recently learned to love vegetables and now eat them in large quantity. They make up over half of my meals.
    b) When eating out with family now, they freak out when seeing me pile my plate high with veggies at the salad bar.

Why do your family freak out at a plate of veg?

Probably because they see it as overeating. I'm the only one who piles my plate (with mainly veggies because I like them) and they see it in person during family meals when I'm visiting between college semester breaks and holiday breaks.

Are they commenting (with words) on your eating habits? If so, what are they saying? Do you let it affect you, and if so, why?
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    If you are eating more food in terms of volume for the same amount of calories, I think that is considered a win by many here :)

Don't be put off by the attitudes of others! I used to be staggered at the amount of vegetables my mum would pile on her plate but now I appreciate her wisdom.