Effects of high protein and low carb

Options
Good Morning to all. I have writhin the last week or so entered the high protein low carb diet realm. I can say that I feel better. I am eating 20 grams of carbs daily or around 5% of my daily intake of calories, around 180 g of protein and 93 g of fat. My question is, will I actually lose weight doing this? Aside from the fact that when I took carbs away my caloric consumption went to about 1600 calories daily. Ami consuming the right proportion of macros? If not how can I find out? It seems like everything I see online is different.

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat. That's it. Carbs have no impact on weight loss. It's just calories.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight if you are in calorie deficit, how you get there is up to you. For macros, I would check out the out carb forum. Generally low carb is low carb, high fat, medium protein. 180g of protein does seem like a lot, although you didn't post your stats so I can't say that for certain.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Reduce calories for weight loss. Find your TDEE (maintenance) and eat less than that.

Some people go low carb because they have medical issues, for others it's just a good fit. BUT unless you have medical issues, you do NOT have to adjust your carb intake to lose weight.

My approach is to eat the foods I normally do (the same foods I will eat to maintain). But, portion control is key for me. I'm fat because I eat too many calories. Along the way I tweak my "regular" diet because some foods are more filling than others. I have found that there are other foods that aren't worth their calories. I am learning to maintain.

Low carb "just for weight loss" can lead to ....... now how do I maintain the weight I lost? Figure out a plan for both losing weight AND keeping it off.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Op are you trying to get into ketosis through low carb? If so, then high protein is not the way to do that. What you are wanting to do is a LCHF (low carb high fat diet) unless there is specific reason you are wanting to do High Protein for training, etc..

Your macro choices are personal preferences, and how you loose weight is through a calorie deficit despite the macro splits you setup for your diet structure.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can still enter ketosis (if that is your goal) with higher protein. Glycogenesis is demand driven not supply driven. Your numbers are fine if that's the type of diet you choose to pursue.