0 calorie pasta any good? Shirataki “Miracle Noodle” pas

Options
13»

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I eat them regularly and I do not think they are gross. When you open them, they are in water and they do have a fish-smell but I always put mine in a strainer and run water over them. The noodles are like tofu in that they will take the flavor of whatever you cook with it. I like to boil the noodles, brown chicken and fresh veggies to serve over them. Since they are zero calories and zero carbs, I also do not feel guilty using my favorite spaghetti sauces over them.

They are great and make a nice addition to any meal in my opinion.
    This!
    I LOVE pasta, but unfortunately it doesn't love me (due to metabolic issues I need to watch my carb intake). These are the next best thing. Awesome with pasta sauce, or with stirfry veggies! Best if they're dry-fried first.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    To get rid of the chewy texture, after you rinse them, you absolutely HAVE to fry them in either a pan spray or an oil for a good 10 minutes.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    For me they were too good to be true. The liquid it comes in smells pretty bad. After you rinse them good eat them with a sauce cuz they have no flavor. Now heres the part I couldn't get past.....the texture! For me it was like chewing on rubberbands, if you can get past that then they're great..........but I couldn't:ohwell:

Exactly this!
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Tried em. Once. They are fishy and rubbery. Here's the ONLY dish that made them palatable for me:

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/t-hot-or-cold-sesame-noodles.aspx
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Or you could just get some spaghetti squash and bake it, then scape it out with a fork so it becomes spaghetti like and eat that was pasta sauce. Just as good, low calorie, probably a bit healthier and you don't have to worry about the rubbery and smelly part.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    They carry it in my local grocery store, and I have gotten it a couple of times as it's gluten free and about the same price as the other gluten-free options (in other words: expensive for not a lot of food).

It's *okay* - the texture is fine, but it's sort of slippery - not slimy, exactly, but slippery. It doesn't work well with sauces as it isn't made to absorb anything, but it is good with stir fry.

I wouldn't get it with the expectation that it will be the perfect guilt-free solution for all of your pasta cravings, but it's not bad and, as I said, works well with stir fry or something like that.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind them. Had them twice, two different ways. Rinse them really well, as they have a fishy smell to them.

I had them in pasta, which wasn't terrible but I prefer Spagetti squash.

I did like them after stirfrying them with some veggies. For some reason pan-fried they taste better?

As fine as they were, I try not to put things which have 0 nutritional value in to my body (with the exception of water)

If there's '0' in it, why would I want to consume it for fuel? I'd suggest switching to spagetti squash, or try making "noodles" out of zuchinni, brown rice noodles or whole weat. Jsut carefully maintani your portion size and all will be well.
  • Lifewelllived
    Options
    I've never tried the zero calorie noodles, but I have tried the really low calorie ones, (10-40 calls) and I find them to be a bit slimy and hard to enjoy. But if you're looking for a better alternative to regular noodles (whether wheat or egg) then I guess it is ok (if you're willing to deal with a little slime).