Are bananas and peanut butter a bad thing?

Options
12346»

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    "Is there a cancer connection?
    Does cow's milk cause cancer or protect against it? There’s no clear link between milk and cancer, one way or the other. Dairy opponents say milk increases breast, prostate and ovarian cancer risks. But only a few studies support this, and many studies have found no increased risk. In addition, milk may reduce colon cancer risks, because of its calcium and vitamin D. For example, a study in the British Journal of Nutrition in 2006 found that people who drank very little milk had a somewhat higher risk of colon cancer than those who drank at least a glass a day."

From berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/lists/8-key-facts-about-milk/slideid_419

and

J Am Coll Nutr. 2011 Oct;30(5 Suppl 1):464S-70S.
    Dairy products and cancer.
    Lampe JW1.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Cancer is a group of more than 100 diseases in which cells display uncontrolled growth, invasion, and sometimes metastasis. Milk and dairy products contain micronutrients and several bioactive constituents that may influence cancer risk and progression. Much of the focus of human, population-based studies has been on the effects of intake of milk and total dairy products or of calcium intake. Based on a systematic review of the epidemiologic literature, the World Cancer Research Fund and American Institute for Cancer Research report concluded there was a probable association between milk intake and lower risk of colorectal cancer, a probable association between diets high in calcium and increased risk of prostate cancer, and limited evidence of an association between milk intake and lower risk of bladder cancer. For other cancers, the evidence was mixed or lacking. Since the 2007 report, several additional, large-cohort studies have been published, including two that show an inverse association between intake of cultured dairy products and bladder cancer. Little is known about the potential effect of various bioactives produced during rumen microbe metabolism on cancer risk. Furthermore, studies support a role of live microbes present in some dairy products in the modulation of the human gut microbial community and gut metabolism. Given the growing appreciation for the role of the gut microbial community in relation to immune function and health and disease, including cancer, the potential role of various dairy products in the modulation of the human gut microbiome warrants further evaluation. Key teaching points: As a dietary exposure, dairy products are a complex group of foods and composition varies by region, which makes evaluation of their association with disease risk difficult. For most cancers, associations between cancer risk and intake of milk and dairy products have been examined only in a small number of cohort studies, and data are inconsistent or lacking. Meta-analyses of cohort data available to date support an inverse association between milk intake and risk of colorectal and bladder cancer and a positive association between diets high in calcium and risk of prostate cancer. Other constituents of dairy products, such as rumen-derived metabolites, have not been evaluated extensively for cancer-preventive properties. The influence of live microbes in fermented dairy products and certain cheeses on the human gut microbiome and immune function is a growing area of study.
    PMID: 22081693
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There's palm oil in peanut butter, most of it a result of severe deforestation which kills chimpanzees and loads of other animals but there was a big thing about chimpanzees a few years back.
    I am confused, where does the palm oil come in?
    So many comments and nobody has mentioned palm oil, won't somebody think of the chimpanzees!!

Actually I should make nice cream for my child, anything that gets more fruit and veg in him.
    I am confused, where does the palm oil come in?
    So many comments and nobody has mentioned palm oil, won't somebody think of the chimpanzees!!

Actually I should make nice cream for my child, anything that gets more fruit and veg in him.

• geneticsteacher
    Options
    Do you have valid references for this? Just curious, I have never heard this theory.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's palm oil in peanut butter, most of it a result of severe deforestation which kills chimpanzees and loads of other animals but there was a big thing about chimpanzees a few years back.

Lots of peanut butter is nothing but peanuts or peanuts and salt. The palm oil is used to keep it from separating, so the kinds you have to stir typically won't have it.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Lots of peanut butter is nothing but peanuts or peanuts and salt. The palm oil is used to keep it from separating, so the kinds you have to stir typically won't have it.

I was mostly being facetious! There's palm oil in all sorts of things, for some reason the peanut butter thing stuck so I buy whole earth peanut butter and ignore that it's in pretty much all the chocolate I eat!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I was mostly being facetious! There's palm oil in all sorts of things, for some reason the peanut butter thing stuck so I buy whole earth peanut butter and ignore that it's in pretty much all the chocolate I eat!

Ah, sorry! I missed it. Sometimes I read too seriously, although I don't intend my own posts to be read that way normally.
  • geneticsteacher
    Options
    Ha. Me too.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I can make a smoothie for 300 calories MAX with chocolate whey, pbfit, banana, frozen blueberries, butternut squash, ground flax seed, cauliflower, zucchini, spinach or kale and other veggies I've experimented with because I use a water base instead of dairy. I save dairy for light cheese sticks. Many veggies can be hidden in a smoothie with a chocolate banana water base, and it will taste like a peanut butter cup.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I can make a smoothie for 300 calories MAX with chocolate whey, pbfit, banana, frozen blueberries, butternut squash, ground flax seed, cauliflower, zucchini, spinach or kale and other veggies I've experimented with because I use a water base instead of dairy. I save dairy for light cheese sticks. Many veggies can be hidden in a smoothie with a chocolate banana water base, and it will taste like a peanut butter cup.
    I think my taste buds might be more discriminating than yours, then. o:)

I'd rather eat *two* real peanut butter cups for 210 calories, max.

https://www.hersheys.com/reeses/products/reeses-peanut-butter-cups/milk-chocolate.aspx
  • hstud4
    hstud4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bananas and pb are bae <3
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. These are nutrient dense foods you are eating. If you are able to hit your overall caloric targets while satisfying cravings, you can permamently achieve and maintain goals.