Gym results

Options
If im going to the gym three times a week, how long will it take until i see results? I spend about an hour & a half - 2 hours training on gym days.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    What would you do in those hours? That seems excessive if you are new to training.
  • myconradfitnesspal
    Options
    I would also cut back on the hours. If you are looking to see results for the first time, you don't need to be in there that long. You also should assess what kind of macros make up your caloric intake.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    No need to stay there that long. I do my workouts in 45-60 mins tops (when I have extra time I push to 60!)

It takes ages to notice a difference. But your clothes start to fit better even though you can't see your new muscles under the fat.

If you don't already have muscles it will take some time for them to form.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you are going three times a week, might be worth looking into an established program like Stronglifts 5x5. You run it three times a week, it progresses in weight as you complete the sets, and it involves compound lifts that work multiple parts of your body at once.

On the plus side, it takes less than an hour to run the workout! You will definitely see improvement in strength that way.

As for body composition and seeing muscle, that would mean lowering your body fat and that's all nutrition.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    to answer your question directly, most of the people i've seen who start going to the gym take about 8-10 weeks of consistency to start seeing changes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sometime between a few months and never.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    and to the OP, i don think 1.5 - 2 hours a day, 3 times a week of exercise is too much. If you are enjoying it, go for it!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What type of results are you looking to see? If it's fat loss, give er go for 2 hours. If it's hypertrophy. Definitely cut that down to an hour. No need to be there for more than that. 8-12 sets per body part
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    and to the OP, i don think 1.5 - 2 hours a day, 3 times a week of exercise is too much. If you are enjoying it, go for it!

If that's too much, I should already be dead. It's a miracle if I can get a workout done in less than 2 hours.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Results?
    In my teens and 20's - a few weeks.
    In my 30's and 40's - a couple of months.
    In my 50's - a lot of months!

I also don't think the duration of your workout is excessive at all but of course it depends what you are doing.
    I'm currently doing 10+ hours of exercise a week, sometimes a lot more.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb you should see significant results in 90 days.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If im going to the gym three times a week, how long will it take until i see results? I spend about an hour & a half - 2 hours training on gym days.
    There are many factors of course, but from my experience it took three months to actually move the weight efficiently and then about 6 months to see changes in my body once returning to the gym.

02489d7caef942cba5e1c27fe25dbbdf-610xh.jpg

The upper right picture from May 2014 was just after three months back in the gym (March). (Imagine what I must have looked like before March 2014.) I'm about two-and-half years back and while my focus is not on physique anymore -- but performance-- the changes in my physique never seem to happen quick enough. Oh sure injuries, yeah those seem to happen easily enough.

However, if you are relativity lean now, eat at a modest surplus, newbie gains should kick in. What ever time it takes for you, the pursuit is well worth it.
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Sometime between a few months and never.
    Ain't that the truth.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    @nakedraygun

Nice pec development over 2yrs, that's one area I just can't seem to get to grow, got a chest like Bruce Lee
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @nakedraygun

Nice pec development over 2yrs, that's one area I just can't seem to get to grow, got a chest like Bruce Lee
    Thanks @DresdenSinn. Some of that is muscle memory, but now I think I am in new growth terrority. From a body building perceptive, the only recommendation I can give is train bench press for strength and then progressively add in db work and cross-over or deep fly work. I am a big fan of 4x8 at 75-80% of 1RM for hypertrophy and then following up with lighter high rep work like crossovers 3x20 very little rest between sets.

Just always progressively load everything.