Do you count your step calories?

Options
Do u all count your step calories? I walk 4-5 miles everyday before exercise so I am wondering since I am counting them into my exercise calories is causing me not to see a weight loss.

Replies

• Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This is up to you, some days when I'm really hungry I count them but then other days when I'm trying to make a deficit I don't count them.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you have a fitness tracker that's connected to MFP, then it's showing that you burned more than MFP expects for your activity level, and yes you should be eating them back. But if you aren't losing weight, you need to take a look at your logging first. Chances are you're eating more than you think.
  • karrielynnhowardsternfan
    Options
    I don't count normal activity only exercise.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you have a fitness tracker that's connected to MFP, then it's showing that you burned more than MFP expects for your activity level, and yes you should be eating them back. But if you aren't losing weight, you need to take a look at your logging first. Chances are you're eating more than you think.

I'm losing a lb a week. I count everything literally down to a mint. My weight loss has slowed so I'm trying to figure out the culprit or where perhaps I can do adjusting.

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Generally no. My phone will track my steps, but I don't have it on me every second of every day, and it won't give me any additional calorie tracking unless I get well over my goal. I have my goal through UA Record (synced with MFP) for 7,000 steps, but it doesn't start considering additional calorie burns until it gets over 10,000 steps. I will usually delete the additional burn figures if I do walk more one day versus another, but some days its a minimal calorie burn (20-30 calories) so I leave it alone. I generally stay within my food calories goal and don't eat back exercise calories when I'm in "loss mode", only when I'm in "maintain mode", so it just depends on the goal I'm currently chasing (right now I'm trying to lose a pound or two, I had two naughty weeks of eating everything not nailed down so I need to tighten up for a bit).

I think its best to only give yourself a calorie credit for purposeful exercise, and only cardio at that. Weight training is too hard to pinpoint and most people DRASTICALLY over-estimate their calorie burns for time in the gym/using weights. I think walking is great and good to have a step goal just to keep active and moving, but doesn't necessarily deserve a calorie credit to allow me to eat more.

Just my $0.02. Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I'm losing a lb a week. I count everything literally down to a mint. My weight loss has slowed so I'm trying to figure out the culprit or where perhaps I can do adjusting.

A pound a week is a perfectly fine rate to lose at, so I'd say you're doing well!

Generally if you weren't losing for several weeks you would look at your food diary first. Make sure you log every bite you take, weigh all foods and measure all liquids, double check that all entries are accurate, use the recipe builder over homemade/generic entries. After that, if everything is spot on and you still weren't losing, then you would cut back on the number of exercise calories eaten.
  • ktilton70130
    Options

A pound a week is a perfectly fine rate to lose at, so I'd say you're doing well!

Generally if you weren't losing for several weeks you would look at your food diary first. Make sure you log every bite you take, weigh all foods and measure all liquids, double check that all entries are accurate, use the recipe builder over homemade/generic entries. After that, if everything is spot on and you still weren't losing, then you would cut back on the number of exercise calories eaten.

ok, thanks. Ill stick with the lb a week at least I am not gaining, thanks
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • Caremy24
    Caremy24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually only count calories from steps if I exceed my daily norm. I don't count the exercise from my normal daily routine. if that makes sense.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I set MFP to sedentary, wear a Fitbit and eat back any extra calories it gives me (and it lowers my goal if I don't move much at all). I also add in exercise like swimming, running etc., and as long as I tell my Fitbit when I started and finished the activity it doesn't double count. I reduce some of MFP's estimations (elliptical, stationary bike, yoga, pilates etc. all tell me I'm burning ridiculous amounts), but I always eat back the calories I have entered either myself or been told by my Fitbit.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I count all calories as part of my deficit but I eat a set amount of calories regardless of how many I burn.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I get about 15K steps a day at this point, but I only count the ones I get as a result of "deliberate excerise". I have 4-5 walks each day and I time each one and use my total steps for the walk to figure out how far I went in that time (to get my walking pace). Those are put in as "exercise". As someone else said, I put in when I walked, so my Garmin doesn't duplicate the calories burned from those walks.

Steps that I get outside of those walks aren't counted in my exercise (usually there's a small positive "Garmin Correction" value at the end of the day for any active calories I somehow missed).
  • ktilton70130
    Options
    I count all calories as part of my deficit but I eat a set amount of calories regardless of how many I burn.

That is exactly what I do. I monitor my calorie consumption no matter what.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit... it doesn't give me any extra calories unless I walk over 6 miles. O.o
  • ktilton70130
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    I use my fitbit... it doesn't give me any extra calories unless I walk over 6 miles. O.o

never knew that about fitbit,hmm
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 miles a day before my other exercise routines and I just put it under cardio (mph) and add the time it took me 60-90 min or however long it takes and I never eat my exercise calories, I just upped my cals from 1300 to 1600 and I have been steady dropping weight (slowww process). I have garmin and I dont fuss with it, just track my distance.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I walk about 8 miles a day with my physically active job. I set my activity level to highly active and no longer allow the Fitbit to adjust my calorie goal. Spent too many months stuck in maintenance trusting the Fitbit.