Do you count your step calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Yes. but also count all my runs just as steps. It's all guess work anyway, right?
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit to determine how much I burned everyday. So yes, I count my step calories. I try to get 15000-20000 everyday which works out to be between 2200 calories and 2600 calories (depending on if any of those steps were from running)
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I set my activity level to sedentary on here, sync mfp with my fitbit and don't record exercise at all. I only go by the fitbit adjustment
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you have a fitness tracker that's connected to MFP, then it's showing that you burned more than MFP expects for your activity level, and yes you should be eating them back. But if you aren't losing weight, you need to take a look at your logging first. Chances are you're eating more than you think.

I'm losing a lb a week. I count everything literally down to a mint. My weight loss has slowed so I'm trying to figure out the culprit or where perhaps I can do adjusting.

If you've been losing steadily for a while and now it's slowing down, make sure you update your current weight on your MFP profile. Chances are it will result in a lowering of your allowable calories. I found this out the hard way after losing steadily for my first 8 months or so - despite having my scale synced to MFP.

It's worth a check. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    I use my fitbit... it doesn't give me any extra calories unless I walk over 6 miles. O.o

never knew that about fitbit,hmm

It's not that simple. A FitBit compares your actual activity VS. your activity level setting on MFP. You can enable negative adjustments also.

If you signed up for sedentary and walked 10,000 steps.....you get a positive adjustment. If you signed up for active and walked 3,000 steps.....you get a negative adjustment.

Activity trackers are great for figuring out maintenance. That's not to say they are exact. But you have a really solid idea after you've been using it awhile.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you have a fitness tracker that's connected to MFP, then it's showing that you burned more than MFP expects for your activity level, and yes you should be eating them back. But if you aren't losing weight, you need to take a look at your logging first. Chances are you're eating more than you think.

I'm losing a lb a week. I count everything literally down to a mint. My weight loss has slowed so I'm trying to figure out the culprit or where perhaps I can do adjusting.

If you've been losing steadily for a while and now it's slowing down, make sure you update your current weight on your MFP profile. Chances are it will result in a lowering of your allowable calories. I found this out the hard way after losing steadily for my first 8 months or so - despite having my scale synced to MFP.

It's worth a check. Good luck!
    Ok thanks
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't count any walking calories. I use them for when I go over from time to time and to cover my entries as I don't weigh anything.

Right now I have a ton of storage fuel :) so I don't need extra fuel yet. I may change later if I begin feeling tired.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    What have you got your MFP Activity Level set to?

https://www.verywell.com/how-many-pedometer-steps-per-day-are-enough-3432827

Activity Classification Based on Pedometer Steps for Healthy Adults

Dr. Tudor Locke's research established these categories:

1. Sedentary Lifestyle Index: Under 5000 steps per day is an indicator of being inactive and sitting too much, which raises health risks.

2. Low Active: 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered low active. The average American walks 5900 to 6900 steps per day, so the majority are low active.

3. Somewhat Active: 7,500-9,999 steps/day likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered somewhat active.

4. Active: 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as active. This makes it a good daily goal for healthy people who want a quick indicator they are getting in their daily exercise.

5. Highly Active: Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as highly active.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No, my goals are set up where it makes no difference to me how many steps I've walked. I eat when hungry and if I gain when I rather not on average I just cut my calories a tad.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options

YEP
    This was me totally
    :(
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    My yearly average is 21,844 Your damm right I do but by now my calories are built into my lifestyle. That being said I do not eat back daily step calories just adjusted calories over time to account for my normal activity.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I usually count my steps, but only because I get the majority of my exercise from elliptical/strength training and not walking [I live along a busy intersection so walking can get quite dangerous]. If I end up getting a lot of steps in a day, then it's for something I don't normally do [like I recently started a new job where I often carry 25 pound boxes around].
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

1. Sedentary Lifestyle Index: Under 5000 steps per day is an indicator of being inactive and sitting too much, which raises health risks.

2. Low Active: 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered low active. The average American walks 5900 to 6900 steps per day, so the majority are low active.

3. Somewhat Active: 7,500-9,999 steps/day likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered somewhat active.

4. Active: 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as active. This makes it a good daily goal for healthy people who want a quick indicator they are getting in their daily exercise.

5. Highly Active: Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as highly active.

Sedentary, is what I have my activity level set to I have desk position I only go to the hospital unit to see patients on select days.
  • Alpine0021
    Alpine0021 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

That's interesting. I go out of my way to do steps and normally hit about 12,500. So do I change my activity level to highly active then just knock off extra gym sessions? I'm getting more confused by the minute. On any standard day I would probably do 4,000 steps but I push myself and regularly do 12,500. I'm on 19,000 today already! So where do I fit in on activity level? It's very rare I do anything less than 10,000

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I never felt a compulsion to count my steps or calories from them.

I simply adjust my caloric needs according to my intended weight change. Very rarely I do, maybe once a year if needed when I return to work or retire. Way too O.C.D. for me to even consider personally.

*add to previous post