How I've lost 41 lbs. since April 1, 2016.

Options
jnancejr
jnancejr Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m a 6 ft. tall 53 year old male and thought I would share my weight loss success story. I’ve lost 41 lbs. since April 1, 2016 (235 lbs to 194 lbs.) by consuming a Paleo diet 6 days a week, incorporating intermittent fasting and exercising. Below is my typical nutritional and exercise plan.

Nutritional Plan

Monday – Paleo Nutrition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Tuesday – Paleo Nutrition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Wednesday – Intermittent Fasting, Paleo Nutrition (dinner only)
Thursday - Paleo Nutrition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Friday - Paleo Nutrition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Saturday – No food restrictions. I’m free to eat what I desire.
Sunday - Intermittent Fasting, Paleo Nutrition (dinner only)

I keep the Paleo nutrition very simple. A typical breakfast is usually comprised of a protein source such as turkey bacon, bacon, sausage or eggs (I limit eating eggs to twice a week), two cups of berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or strawberries or a combination thereof), ½ cup of nuts and two cups of almond milk. A typical lunch is comprised of a large salad with a protein source such as tuna, chicken, or turkey. A typical dinner is comprised of a protein source such as fish, beef or chicken, vegetables (unlimited amounts and I tend to eat primarily asparagus and broccoli), one cup of berries and two cups of almond milk. The protein source sizes are about the size of my fist. Also, I tend to double-up on the protein sources for dinner (i.e. two chicken breasts or two pieces of fish).

Please notice that I only eat three meals per day, with no in-between meals snacks. I’m sure that having a Paleo-friendly snack in-between meals is OK; however, I don’t get caught up with the so-called requirement of eating 5 to 6 small meals per day to keep your metabolism running. My metabolism is running just fine by eating only three meals per day.

Saturday’s are pretty much a free-for-all day for me. I eat with no restrictions. Below is an example of what I ate last Saturday.

Breakfast – One large Pershing Roll (a cinnamon roll topped with maple syrup), one cake donut and coffee.

Lunch – Subway - 6 in. Philly steak and cheese sub, small package of potato chips and iced tea.

Dinner – Bru Burger Bar – Fried chicken appetizer, large blue cheese burger, onion rings, one 16 oz. stout craft beer.

After Dinner Desert – Two large scoops of chocolate chip/cookie dough ice cream.

Some may be wondering if I drink coffee and the answer is yes. I drink one black Venti Dark Roast coffee every morning from Starbuck’s. Regarding alcohol, I usually consume one or two 12 oz. craft beers on Saturdays and during the week I usually drink two small 4 oz. glasses of red wine (A weekly total of two glasses, not per day. Yes, I know, drinking wine breaks the rules of Paleo nutrition).

Regarding intermittent fasting, I do this twice a week for 24 hours each. For example, I eat dinner on Saturday night at 6:00 pm, and then I fast and don’t eat anything until Sunday night at 6:00 pm.

Do I count calories? Yes, I do occasionally count calories, though not every day and not even every week.

How many calories do I consume per day? Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday…around 2300 calories per day. Wednesday and Sunday…around 700 calories (dinner only) per day. Saturday (no food restrictions)…around 3000 to 3200 calories.

Other tips? I drink at least 1/2 gallon of water per day and I get at least 7 hours of sleep per night.

Exercise Plan

Monday – Slow Cadence Weight Training (20 – 25 min.)
Tuesday – Rest
Wednesday – HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training (20 – 30 min.)
Thursday – Rest
Friday – HIIT/Weight Training Combined (20 – 30 min.)
Saturday – Minimum 5 Mile Walk
Sunday – Rest

I still have some more weight to lose, but I feel awesome! I’m certainly open to answering any questions you may have about my weight loss adventures.

Replies

• hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Firstly congrats with your weightloss! I was wondering if you miss carbs during the week and how do you feel on the wednesdays and sundays with low kcal and especially the training on wednesdays? Do you feel any different than on the other days? I calculated a mean of aprox 1650 kcal a day what also could have been a choice or 1450 and the treatday on saturday.
  • jnancejr
    jnancejr Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thank you. Regarding missing carbs, I still eat carbs during the week...just healthy carbs comprised of fruits and vegetables. Per volume, I would say that my diet is comprised of 2/3 fruits/vegetables/nuts/seeds and 1/3 protein sources. I think there is a misconception that the Paleo diet is primarily a meat-eating diet. Not so, true Paleo eating is primarily a plant-based diet.

Regarding fasting, I feel very good on the fasting/dinner-only days. It took me a couple of times to be accustomed to short-term fasting, but really, I feel great. Actually, I have no hunger symptoms at all and I experience a heightened sense of awareness and alertness. My most productive day of the work week seems to be on Wednesdays. Another benefit of the fasting/dinner-only days is that I'm in a state of Ketosis and burning body fat. I know this because of the metallic taste in my mouth on these days, which indicates Ketotis. Regarding my mean caloric intake per day, my calculations indicate a mean of 1942 to 2142 kcal.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    jnancejr wrote: »
    Thank you. Regarding missing carbs, I still eat carbs during the week...just healthy carbs comprised of fruits and vegetables. .

A carbohydrate cannot be healthy or unhealthy. The body utilizes them all the same way.
  • catherinewalsh779
    catherinewalsh779 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    wow well done impressive
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thank you. Regarding missing carbs, I still eat carbs during the week...just healthy carbs comprised of fruits and vegetables. .

A carbohydrate cannot be healthy or unhealthy. The body utilizes them all the same way.

True, but some come packed with nutrients your body needs, and some don't. Now if you are getting plenty of the ones with nutrients having some without is no big deal. If all you are eating or mostly eating is carbs with no nutritional value, that can't really be considered healthy for your bodies long term health and well being.

OP, well done!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That's one way to lose weight. I congratulate you.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about that diet. Maybe I should try it for a week. If it works, awesome. If not, no biggie. I would be very sad about loss of bread, tho.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I understand that the body uses carbohydrates the same way regardless of the food source. However, Doritos and doughnuts are not healthy sources of carbohydrates.

In a balanced diet they can be.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

True, but some come packed with nutrients your body needs, and some don't. Now if you are getting plenty of the ones with nutrients having some without is no big deal. If all you are eating or mostly eating is carbs with no nutritional value, that can't really be considered healthy for your bodies long term health and well being.

OP, well done!
    what if you get your nutrients from other sources?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    AmyWebb2 wrote: »
    I've wondered about that diet. Maybe I should try it for a week. If it works, awesome. If not, no biggie. I would be very sad about loss of bread, tho.

it takes your body up to four weeks to start adjusting to changes..so not sure what a week of paleo is going to do ...

also, you can do what OP did by just eating in a calorie deficit.....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I understand that the body uses carbohydrates the same way regardless of the food source. However, Doritos and doughnuts are not healthy sources of carbohydrates.

who eats a diet of 100% Doritos and doughnuts?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I’m a 6 ft. tall 53 year old male and thought I would share my weight loss success story. I’ve lost 41 lbs. since April 1, 2016 (235 lbs to 194 lbs.) by consuming a Paleo diet 6 days a week, incorporating intermittent fasting and exercising. Below is my typical nutritional and exercise plan.

Nutritional Plan

Monday – Paleo Nutrition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
    Tuesday – Paleo Nutrition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
    Wednesday – Intermittent Fasting, Paleo Nutrition (dinner only)
    Thursday - Paleo Nutrition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
    Friday - Paleo Nutrition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
    Saturday – No food restrictions. I’m free to eat what I desire.
    Sunday - Intermittent Fasting, Paleo Nutrition (dinner only)

I keep the Paleo nutrition very simple. A typical breakfast is usually comprised of a protein source such as turkey bacon, bacon, sausage or eggs (I limit eating eggs to twice a week), two cups of berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or strawberries or a combination thereof), ½ cup of nuts and two cups of almond milk. A typical lunch is comprised of a large salad with a protein source such as tuna, chicken, or turkey. A typical dinner is comprised of a protein source such as fish, beef or chicken, vegetables (unlimited amounts and I tend to eat primarily asparagus and broccoli), one cup of berries and two cups of almond milk. The protein source sizes are about the size of my fist. Also, I tend to double-up on the protein sources for dinner (i.e. two chicken breasts or two pieces of fish).

Please notice that I only eat three meals per day, with no in-between meals snacks. I’m sure that having a Paleo-friendly snack in-between meals is OK; however, I don’t get caught up with the so-called requirement of eating 5 to 6 small meals per day to keep your metabolism running. My metabolism is running just fine by eating only three meals per day.

Saturday’s are pretty much a free-for-all day for me. I eat with no restrictions. Below is an example of what I ate last Saturday.

Breakfast – One large Pershing Roll (a cinnamon roll topped with maple syrup), one cake donut and coffee.

Lunch – Subway - 6 in. Philly steak and cheese sub, small package of potato chips and iced tea.

Dinner – Bru Burger Bar – Fried chicken appetizer, large blue cheese burger, onion rings, one 16 oz. stout craft beer.

After Dinner Desert – Two large scoops of chocolate chip/cookie dough ice cream.

Some may be wondering if I drink coffee and the answer is yes. I drink one black Venti Dark Roast coffee every morning from Starbuck’s. Regarding alcohol, I usually consume one or two 12 oz. craft beers on Saturdays and during the week I usually drink two small 4 oz. glasses of red wine (A weekly total of two glasses, not per day. Yes, I know, drinking wine breaks the rules of Paleo nutrition).

Regarding intermittent fasting, I do this twice a week for 24 hours each. For example, I eat dinner on Saturday night at 6:00 pm, and then I fast and don’t eat anything until Sunday night at 6:00 pm.

Do I count calories? Yes, I do occasionally count calories, though not every day and not even every week.

How many calories do I consume per day? Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday…around 2300 calories per day. Wednesday and Sunday…around 700 calories (dinner only) per day. Saturday (no food restrictions)…around 3000 to 3200 calories.

Other tips? I drink at least 1/2 gallon of water per day and I get at least 7 hours of sleep per night.

Exercise Plan

Monday – Slow Cadence Weight Training (20 – 25 min.)
    Tuesday – Rest
    Wednesday – HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training (20 – 30 min.)
    Thursday – Rest
    Friday – HIIT/Weight Training Combined (20 – 30 min.)
    Saturday – Minimum 5 Mile Walk
    Sunday – Rest

I still have some more weight to lose, but I feel awesome! I’m certainly open to answering any questions you may have about my weight loss adventures.

so you replaced calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods?

how is a fried chicken appetizer paleo? I did not know that they had fryers in the Paleolithic era...

congrats on your weight loss OP..
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979 You like a debate don't you? You're hilarious. If the lady wants to try her hand at eating Paleo for a week let her do such. Allow her to experience whatever it is she experiences. It certainly wont harm her. You don't have to try and "save" everyone from what they're doing simply because what you're doing works for you. Relax a little, smell some roses.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    @ndj1979 You like a debate don't you? You're hilarious. If the lady wants to try her hand at eating Paleo for a week let her do such. Allow her to experience whatever it is she experiences. It certainly wont harm her. You don't have to try and "save" everyone from what they're doing simply because what you're doing works for you. Relax a little, smell some roses.

trying paleo for one week is not going to accomplish anything...just like dieting for a week is not going to accomplish anything..

I am sorry that my spreading of knowledge offends you so much. Maybe stay off the forums if it is causing you that much stress in your life.
  • BodyzLanguage
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

trying paleo for one week is not going to accomplish anything...just like dieting for a week is not going to accomplish anything..

I am sorry that my spreading of knowledge offends you so much. Maybe stay off the forums if it is causing you that much stress in your life.

I wanna laugh at the ridiculousness of your comment but your mental state is nothing to be laughed at. Everything you spew comes from a sad place. It doesn't take a therapist to see that. Your life must've been tough. It's not too late to fix yourself brother.

Also, no one is offended here. I encourage the sharing of knowledge.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I wanna laugh at the ridiculousness of your comment but your mental state is nothing to be laughed at. Everything you spew comes from a sad place. It doesn't take a therapist to see that. Your life must've been tough. It's not too late to fix yourself brother.

I think it is cute that you follow me around MFP like a little puppy dog...but you may need to find some better hobbies in life.
  • BodyzLanguage
    Options

I think it is cute that you follow me around MFP like a little puppy dog...but you may need to find some better hobbies in life.

Nah, not really. The lady said she wanted to try going Paleo for a week and you sounded offended by it. Wouldn't you find more satisfaction being bitter to the people around you in real life rather than folk on a fitness site? You're a special snowflake.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Nah, not really. The lady said she wanted to try going Paleo for a week and you sounded offended by it. Wouldn't you find more satisfaction being bitter to the people around you in real life rather than folk on a fitness site? You're a special snowflake.

if it does not bother you so much then stop commenting on my posts....I must be under your skin or something..

not offended by anything..just letting her know that trying it for a week is not going to do anything, as it take three to four weeks for any changes in diet to show up. Did you not know that? That is pretty basic fitness information. Instead of following me around all the time, maybe try studying up on this stuff. It might help you look a little less foolish.

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

It would give her an indicator if she liked that way of eating or not. I tried the whole low carb thing and after a week said F that noise, not for me. Even if it does work not worth it.