Bored at work

Options
So I got a summer job in an office and work is usually slow so I end up starring at the computer for 6 hours. I get bored and end up eating even if not hungry.
Any ideas as to what I can do?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Study? Read? Ask others if they need a hand? Any filing or archiving need doing? Update spreadsheets? etc etc
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Study? Read? Ask others if they need a hand? Any filing or archiving need doing? Update spreadsheets? etc etc

Not so keen on studying and reading .. thanks tho :)
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    When I feel tempted to start snacking at work I come on here and read the success stories board, which usually reminds me to stay on track.
    Sometimes I bring low calorie snacks in with me like grapes or cherry tomatoes so if I do end up mindlessly snacking at least I'm getting one of my 5 a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    find a better job....
  • healthy491
    edited August 2016
    Options
    find a better job....

Easier said than done when you are student
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Tell your boss that he/she's paying you to do nothing. I'm sure they'll find something for you to do.
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Snack on lower calorie things, like vegetables or (certain) fruits
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    There must be something that needs doing or they wouldn't be spending the money - proactively seeking out work rather than sitting still because you've done what they gave you to do will reflect better on you as well, and you'll get a better reference at the end.

To avoid ruining your calorie goals, bring in and pre-log all your snacks, lunch etc, as well as pre-logging your dinner plans. If you're still bored and they really have nothing for you to do, pop to the loo and do some squats and lunges (taking the stairs if possible) :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    find a better job....

tell your boss you have nothing to do....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    Options
    Tell your boss that he/she's paying you to do nothing. I'm sure they'll find something for you to do.

Yep ... in the next meeting say, "I don't have any work to do". That'll fix it.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have times during the day I'm allowed to eat...7am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm. If it's not those time I can't eat. Yes, that sounds weird but it works. And I have to eat what I planned...no diversions...
  • zaang3467
    zaang3467 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I got a summer job in an office and work is usually slow so I end up starring at the computer for 6 hours. I get bored and end up eating even if not hungry.
    Any ideas as to what I can do?

Don't wait for someone to give you stuff to do. Take initiative, ask around if someone else needs help, try to come up with new workflows that will ease your workload once the work arrives. Check what you can improve etc. There is always work to be done.

Staring at the screen for hours pretending to be working is a terrible thing to do to yourself. Because you're wasting the most precious thing you have, time. Always try to learn and improve yourself.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    As a manager I can understand your hesitation to run out and say hey I'm bored to your boss. You want to keep the job and announcing you don't have enough to do can seem counter productive. So maybe try this, listen in to what others around you have going on and see if you can't find something you could help out with. Maybe you're a good typer, or a good proof reader, offer up your skills. If none of that works, can you use the computer to expand your learnings. This works better too if you can look up things related to work and learn. Too many people figure they only need to learn what they need to do their job but learning about the company and other things that are involved int he business can be beneficial to career advancement.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    When I get bored at work I hit the MFP forums :smiley:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    be proactive, and a good employee, and look for additional work to do.....
  • healthy491
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    This

Then this
    find a better job....

Really?

Before you get all judgemental ,even though you already did , I am a student at a beauty school so what I do is practical work.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    This

Then this
    find a better job....

Really?

Before you get all judgemental ,even though you already did , I am a student at a beauty school so what I do is practical work.

not sure what that has to do with you being in an office job over the summer?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    You don't seem like you want to actually be productive in the work place whether that is work or doing something useful for yourself.

You'd be a lot happier if you were proactive and productive. Just talk to your manager or co-workers ask for additional work.
  • healthy491
    Options
    This

Then this
    find a better job....

Really?

not sure what that has to do with you being in an office job over the summer?

In my country , students who are still in school have an opportunity to have a Summer job in different offices until they go back to school.
    Kinda complicated to explain.