Protein powder and coffee

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    omeyer33 wrote: »
    I was debating doing this, how does it taste? I usually just put a little bit of flavored creamer in my coffee.

To me, it tastes like iced coffee. I just make sure to make really strong coffee so the bitterness and sweetness gets balanced.
    It is actually recommended NOT to mix protein powder with hot things like coffee or oatmeal. Supposedly it breaks down the protein so you don't get the full potency of the supplement.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. It's fine to heat, microwave, bake....etc protein powder

Agreed. If protein breaks down in heat, what does that mean for chicken breasts, eggs, dairy and just meat in general?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Protein can and does break down to a certain extent in heat, and it turns into amino acids. Which is exactly what it's going to do in your stomach anyway. So, there's no loss in protein because our bodies don't actually use "protein" per se; they use the amino acids it's made up of and rebuild them into whatever proteins we need.

For an everyday analogy, imagine that you're buying a Lego set. You want the pieces of Lego. You don't actually care whether the Legos come preassembled into the boat or rocket or whatever you're going to build - as long as you get all the Lego pieces you need. You can even buy the Lego pieces assembled into a boat, take apart the boat and build them into a rocket. That's what your body does with protein.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Protein can and does break down to a certain extent in heat, and it turns into amino acids. Which is exactly what it's going to do in your stomach anyway. So, there's no loss in protein because our bodies don't actually use "protein" per se; they use the amino acids it's made up of and rebuild them into whatever proteins we need.

For an everyday analogy, imagine that you're buying a Lego set. You want the pieces of Lego. You don't actually care whether the Legos come preassembled into the boat or rocket or whatever you're going to build - as long as you get all the Lego pieces you need. You can even buy the Lego pieces assembled into a boat, take apart the boat and build them into a rocket. That's what your body does with protein.

I'm good with the idea if coffee and protein shakes transforming me into a rocket.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i added a scoop of plant fusion vanilla protein powder to my coffee this morning. it may be the grossest coffee i have ever had. live and learn.