Vegetarian Until 4 pm (or 16:00)

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,883 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've been vegetarian for over 42 years (ovo-lacto).

I wouldn't expect any particular results from a vegetarian diet, generically speaking. You can eat nutritiously as a vegetarian, or not. You can eat too much, too little, or just right. You can get enough protein as a vegetarian (or vegan), or not enough.

Personally, I got fat as a vegetarian, stayed fat (obese, even) as a vegetarian, got high blood pressure and high cholesterol and cancer and gallbladder adenomyomatosis as a vegetarian, then lost weight as a vegetarian, and left the bad health conditions by the wayside (so far).

If you want to be vegetarian or vegan for ethical reasons, that's great. But vegetarianism in and of itself is irrelevant to the healthfulness of one's way of eating. One can eat healthfully as a vegetarian, or as an omnivore, and lose (or gain) weight as either, too.

Thank you for your response. I guess I always assumed those that took out meat and other produce were somehow healthier. Of course, not that I assumed those that ate meat were any less unhealthy. Although, do you think that the kind of meat and how much meat you eat can lead to weight gain? Is there a certain amount of meat that is better to eat on a weekly basis rather than a daily basis?

I've been vegetarian for 42+ years, since I was about 18: I have utterly no idea about which meats are good, or better, or worse, or what! (I'm sorry.)

I think that what causes weight gain is eating more calories than one burns, over a long period of time. It doesn't matter much - purely in terms of weight gain - whether those calories come from meat, chocolate milkshakes, or raw carrots. (OK, it would be hard to eat enough raw carrots to go over one's calorie goal, without help from other foods, but I'm sure you take my point. ;) )

If one wants to lose weight, plus be healthy and strong, then I think it's very important to have a calorie deficit (all you need for the weight loss), get enough protein, get enough healthy fats, eat sufficient fiber, get plenty of micronutrients (probably from eating lots of nice, varied, fruits & vegetables), and do some exercise-like activities one enjoys, regularly.

I think that getting enough protein is a Very Good Thing, and that meat can be an efficient way to consume protein. I hope that someone else, someone who actually eats meat, can give you advice about which meats are the most calorie-efficient and generally healthful! :) Sadly, I have no clue.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sorry everybody I had a typo. I meant I am "definitely *not* committed."

Thank you for the explanations and insight :)
    That made a slight difference :D

AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've been vegetarian for over 42 years (ovo-lacto).

I wouldn't expect any particular results from a vegetarian diet, generically speaking. You can eat nutritiously as a vegetarian, or not. You can eat too much, too little, or just right. You can get enough protein as a vegetarian (or vegan), or not enough.

Personally, I got fat as a vegetarian, stayed fat (obese, even) as a vegetarian, got high blood pressure and high cholesterol and cancer and gallbladder adenomyomatosis as a vegetarian, then lost weight as a vegetarian, and left the bad health conditions by the wayside (so far).

If you want to be vegetarian or vegan for ethical reasons, that's great. But vegetarianism in and of itself is irrelevant to the healthfulness of one's way of eating. One can eat healthfully as a vegetarian, or as an omnivore, and lose (or gain) weight as either, too.

Thank you for your response. I guess I always assumed those that took out meat and other produce were somehow healthier. Of course, not that I assumed those that ate meat were any less unhealthy. Although, do you think that the kind of meat and how much meat you eat can lead to weight gain? Is there a certain amount of meat that is better to eat on a weekly basis rather than a daily basis?
    Isn't "produce" normally fruit and vegetables, not meat? Anyway, too many calories lead to weight gain. Nothing else leads to weight gain. A (truly) varied diet is healthy because it provides a range of nutrients, it decreases the risk of getting too much of anything, it usually heightens your enjoyment of the food you eat (less boredom); being used to eat many different foods makes you more flexible when being social and traveling etc.

How much meat is safe, is a very very hot topic. In my opinion, these warnings are conflating several risk factors, that may or may not be important, for the public as a whole and/or individually, like too much sodium, overheated fat, trans fat, saturated fat, unbalanced intake of fats and other nutrients, overall insufficient nutrition, food that is too easy to overeat, resulting in intake of too many calories.

Eating less meat, and even cutting meat out of your diet, can be better for the environment, your wallet and your conscience. Maybe. There is no real consensus. Some people don't miss meat at all. Some people eat vegetarian most days, and meat only in social settings where they "have to". Some people eat meat reluctantly to avoid deficiencies. You have to figure out what you can and can't live without.