Afraid to run in public (10weeks to train for first 5km Run)

Options
Hi all,

Need some advice or a motivational push. I entered to run in my first ever 5km run it's in Oct and i'd like to be able to run it all. I've been working out and getting fit since Jan of this year aand only started running on a treadmill about a month and a half ago. I did run once outdoors with my sister who's also learning but that was also in town I don't live in and with a friend. I don't have any running friends here they quit soooo i'm on my own which is how its been for my whole weighloss journey thus far! I'm still dealing with self-esteem issues of course getting out for the first run on my own is a big deal especially since Ive broadcasted to all of my work and friends and family that i entered in this run and planned to run it all so I can't back out. I just always wonder is this or that jiggling when i run are ppl looking..... I mean I watch extreme makeovers with Chris Powel and I admire them so much here they are 300-400 lbs running and here I am under 200lbs and I can't seem to step foot outside. HELP ME!

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I walk and ride a trail near my house. I've never once looked to see what's jiggling on a person. In fact, I watch all of these people pass by and think "yay, look at everyone getting in shape!"

If you are worried, buy some compression type shorts. I always double up with a sports bra and an exercise shirt with a built in bra so nothing up top is to bouncy :)

You'll love the feeling of accomplishment when you're finished. Go for it!!
  • chesleaxx
    chesleaxx Posts: 1
    Options
    I was the same way, always afraid of running in public. Turns out the only thing that got me over the fear was to push myself to do it, and now i have no problem running in public :)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You have two choices. Just buck up and do it. Put on the sunglasses and your headphones with some great music and run.
    Or get in your car and drive somewhere where no one will know you and run. Make sure it is safe though...

Having just overcome this hurtle myself - yesterday being day 2 I can relate. But you know what? **** it and them if anyone judges me for running?
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that hardly anyone even notices you're there, to be honest.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Just ran this morning for the first time! Of course I'm a normal treadmill fanatic, but I'm up for a 5K in a little over a month, and just went for it this morning. At first you feel awkward and self-conscious, but honestly, you stop thinking once you start running. I love my neighbourhood, no honks/catcalls/whatever... although I also ran at 7:00am. Even passed another runner and we barely acknowledged each other (not rudely, just out of concentration).

In short, go for it! You're doing it for you, listen to music if you feel comfortable doing that, and remember that you are amazing for taking the initiative to exercise and to put yourself out there like that! Work it! :)
  • dwabs7
    dwabs7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I remember a time I would not be caught running outside. However I began running in 2009, when a friend convinced be to sign up for Boot Camp at the YMCA. I have been running ever since. The Boot Camp was great in that there were people of all ages and fitness levels so I did not feel quite so out of place. Once you start running outside you will find that the treadmill is never the same. I am planning to run in my first ROC Race in August and a Mud Run in September. I wish you the best. The hardest part is starting so get out there and show them what you've got!
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My daughter has the same awareness of herself. She's content running at the high school track.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Runners are a friendly bunch. Every race I've ever run, the front runners have come back after finishing to cheer on those behind. People are just going to be glad to welcome a new runner to the fold. Don't worry. There's nothing to fear.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Anyone who sees you will be seeing you for about five seconds, tops. No one is putting as much thought into how you look than you are. :wink:
  • lswatson111304
    lswatson111304 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I say go out and do it. First of all, when it is time to run the 5K, you will be in public anyway! Might as well do it now!

That being said, I had to push past my fear of people laughing at me being the fat girl on the bike and I'm fairly certain that a woman was the other day. I got irritated and then was like "You know, I just don't care, at least my fat butt is on this bike and trying" so I stopped caring and just kept going . That was at a park...I rode on the road in "real public" the other day and felt the self consciousness again as people passed. I just kept going though and thought to myself that maybe if I just keep going one of those people looking at me will one day think, "look at her, she has lost a lot of weight on that bike"
  • mjoshua87
    mjoshua87 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks sooo much for the feed back. I know the hardest part is stepping out that door. Im starting my days off tomorrow and hoping to get up really early before my fiance has to leave for work so I can be home with our daughter. Problem in this town everyone is up at like 4am for work. I even bought meself "nice workout clothes" i've been saving to wear outside. Ugh just gotta get out of my own head for this.

10 weeks is enough time to train right?
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i'm a runner and when I run outside I see people of all sizes! The point is if I see someone bigger - I have the urge to run with them and be like wow way to go!! I think you running outside is inspirational, not embarrassing! BUT people can only tell you that soo much - you have to believe it :) I think even if you run for a bit outside you will feel awesome. If you like to run, you are in the running club already! :) You're being healthy - ANYONE running (small or big) will be jealous of YOU! haha
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I say this! Runners love when they see new runners out there. Most of us were there once and if I see someone doing the walk run thing, I think back to everything I have been through to get to this point... The shin splints, IT band issues, plantar fasciitis. I admire ANYONE that is determined to make a goal!

My advice is find a trail or heck run on the paved paths in a cemetery. ANYWHERE! Load up the iPod with music and go have fun and zone out.

Feel free to friend me for advice. I have been running for about 2.5 years. I look back and try to figure out how I overcame half of the crap and didn't give up, but I did and now I run about 100 miles a month and am training for a full marathon this fall.
  • mjoshua87
    mjoshua87 Posts: 50
    Options
    I say go out and do it. First of all, when it is time to run the 5K, you will be in public anyway! Might as well do it now!

That being said, I had to push past my fear of people laughing at me being the fat girl on the bike and I'm fairly certain that a woman was the other day. I got irritated and then was like "You know, I just don't care, at least my fat butt is on this bike and trying" so I stopped caring and just kept going . That was at a park...I rode on the road in "real public" the other day and felt the self consciousness again as people passed. I just kept going though and thought to myself that maybe if I just keep going one of those people looking at me will one day think, "look at her, she has lost a lot of weight on that bike"

The run in Oct 6th its for Breast Cancer.

Koodo's to you!!! :D I guess I will just have to ignore the outside world.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Most people are actually impressed by people they see out running. But a good way to ease into it might be finding some trails to run around you? It gets easier the more you do it. And maybe it will make you run faster too ;)

10 weeks is definitely enough time. Since this is your first 5k and not knowing anything else about your fitness level, finishing it is usually a pretty good goal. That sets a benchmark and motivation to train for the next one to beat your time if you find its something that you enjoy.

For me personally, I hated treadmill running. It was only when I started running outside that I really enjoyed it. I use the treadmill still for interval training but longer runs are always done outside now.
  • opportunitylf
    Options
    Yes, I definitely think that 10 weeks is enough time to train. I am doing a 10 week couch to 5k program through a gym--but you can also look up couch to 5k schedule on-line. Most of those are 8 or 9 week programs. Good luck!
  • MzzNkki
    MzzNkki Posts: 57
    Options
    10 WEEKS IS PLENTY --- USE COUCH TO 5K -- TRAINS FOR 5K IN 9 WEEKS!! I WAS DOING IT AT MY LOCAL TRACK N I FELT SILLY!!! WHAT MADE ME FEEL BETTER WAS OTHERS THERE RUNNING SAME PASSING ME UP MADE ME WANT TO WORK HARDER! I DIDNT GO LAST WEEK OVER 100 DEGREES TIMES I WAS ABLE TO RUN BUT I AM GONNA START GOING AT A LOCAL BIKE TRAIL WHICH IS BETTER SCENERY AND ALSO NOT EVERYONE WATCHING ME AT ONCE. :-) GOOD LUCK
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    You have to get over it.... Focus on your running...forget the world.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Run on a treadmill then. Or find a better excuse to avoid exercise :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What you have to realize is that nobody cares...nobody is sitting around watching you or laughing or whatever. That's all a figment of your imagination. People are pretty much oblivious to everything outside their own little world.