Intuitive/mindful eating

Options
It seems silly to ask this question on myfitnesspal, a calorie counting website, but I am curious if others had a similar experience. For a very long time, I have yoyo'd between being on a diet (counting every bite i take) and off a diet eating all of the food I desire. I was at the end of my rope with it and decided if I didnt lose weight for awhile it was okay, i just wanted to stop yoyo dieting. I've tried intuitive and mindful eating for a few weeks and it's worked for me. I've lost weight and I am less bothered by hunger. When I was counting, my hunger was on my mind all the time even though I ate enough. Has anyone else ended up trying intuitive eating after being frustrated with counting?

Replies

• earthakin66
    earthakin66 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes! I totally know what you mean. I've reset my calories on here to maintenance and am still logging so that I can keep track of what I eat and how I feel. I'm done with calorie counting. I'm all hyped up on a book called "Always Hungry" which (among other things) talks about the futility of calorie counting.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no, but i tried intermittent fasting a while ago, and i found that useful to help me eat more mindfully.

i didn't start eating till 10am and half the time actually i was fine doing that as i wasn't actually hungry, and would have just eaten because it was 'breakfast time' not because i really needed food.

at the end of the day you've got to find what works for you and is sustainable!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I actually do not see calorie counting as a restriction, or a way that I allow my self to keep hunger on my mind at all. Actually it is the opposite. It is now that I am finally mindful that I create calories that work for me instead of eating calories that left me feeling terrible or exhausted all the time. I never knew the foods I ate before made me really feel terrible..

Now if you find this program helps you better in the long run to loosing weight, I am all for any strategy or method that works for the individual to meet their goals.

The part this program that stated are you "Sick and tired of calorie counting and following rigid diets that leave you feeling exhausted, depleted and like a failure because they just don't work"... well this (MFP) is none of these for me and never has been, I was frustrated only at one time in the beginning before I bought and used the food scale..
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's awesome that you are finally enjoying success. I have a friend in a similar situation; one for whom nothing much has worked except intuitive eating. Personally, I am baffled by intuitive eating and have only found success with calorie counting. It seems to me that eating what you want, when you want is how people end up too heavy in the first place and I have to laugh every time I see people counseling intuitive eating in children when it is not uncommon for children to eat themselves sick on junk food, fast food or candy and treats while steadfastly refusing healthy alternatives. But, luckily, you don't have to convince me and what works for you doesn't have to work for me so congratulations to you!
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think it's really important to bring eating into your conscious mind. For me this means mindful shopping, cooking and eating.
    But most of us who have become overweight and especially those who have yo-yoed, will have damaged their metabolism. That can take years to put right. I can quote you the research!
    Until my metabolism is repaired I'm gonna count calories or portions. It doesn't matter how you bring your consumption into conscious focus, but that you do.
    If just mindfulness without any counting does the trick for you, then that is excellent news. At the very least, I'd continue to weigh myself every day. The mind plays such tricks on us (but you already know how easy it is to put the weight back on and how religiously you have to watch yourself.)
    I've asked all my thin friends. And they all say they weigh themselves at least once a week, if not once a day. They also tell me they watch what they eat with hawk-like determination. For example my friend Jane always walks to the cafe where we meet. She never drives there.
    Some people make maintaining a slim figure look easy, but in reality I think they work really hard at it. (They don't rely on a hunch, they use data)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I find I need both: the calorie counting/logging part plus behavioral modification. Specifically for me, mindful eating -- which is not exactly the same as intuitive eating. I'd also suggest looking into Beck Diet Solution. Here's a description of all three with links:

Mindful Eating - "By using all your senses in choosing to eat food that is both satisfying to you and nourishing to your body, acknowledging your responses to food (likes, dislikes or neutral) without judgment, and becoming aware of physical hunger and satiety cues to guide your decisions to begin and end eating you can change your relationship to food." http://thecenterformindfuleating.org/principles

Intuitive Eating - "Intuitive eating is an approach that teaches you how to create a healthy relationship with your food, mind, and body--where you ultimately become the expert of your own body. You learn how to distinguish between physical and emotional feelings, and gain a sense of body wisdom. It's also a process of making peace with food---so that you no longer have constant "food worry" thoughts. It's knowing that your health and your worth as a person do not change, because you ate a food that you had labeled as "bad" or "fattening”. http://www.intuitiveeating.org/content/10-principles-intuitive-eating

Beck Diet Solution - "By following the Cognitive Therapy techniques dieters learn to: think differently and overcome common dieting pitfalls and sabotaging thoughts, eat favorite foods while steadily losing weight, feel in control in the most challenging situations, feel confident in their ability to follow a healthy diet and exercise plan, remain motivated to maintain weight loss for life" http://www.beckdietsolution.com/weight-loss-and-maintenance

Intuitive Eating particularly focuses on helping those with eating disorders (unhealthy relationships to food).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've always controlled my weight by mindful/intuitive eating. For a brief period I stopped thinking about food at all and started to eat for emotional reasons. That is when I became overweight. Someone told me about this site and I thought it sounded great. I am a numbers person by profession so I thought I'd love tracking my food too. But I was wrong. So I went back to what had worked in the past. Eating mindfully/intuitively. And I lost the weight.

I imagine I will yoyo a bit as I have always yoyo'd. The problem with eating intuitively for me is that when I get rushed or distracted by other things in life I tend to gain weight (I really LOVE food). But except for that one time I've never gained enough to make me overweight so I'm hoping I am back in that groove now. I don't mind if my weight fluctuates up and down a bit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mindful eating and intuitive eating sounded like hogwash to me. Alternative hippie *kitten*. Eating what I like and letting my body decide? Yeah, that's exactly why I'm overweight :s

I doubt the validity of this statement. First of all because "eating what I like" isn't the same thing as eating mindfully/intuitively. It's more about eating what you need than what you like. Paying attention to your body's needs rather than what your emotions or taste buds want at the moment. That's not to say that your food shouldn't taste good. Enjoying food should be a part of eating mindfully.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have tried intuitive eating and it did not work for me. I have a ton of respect for those who can successfully manage their weight without tracking all the details, but I learned that I am not one of those people. I have learned that weight management can be a very intense mental game because of my unstable relationship with food which caused me to be overweight in the first place. My hunger and fullness cues are way out of whack, so I'll be a loyal MFP user for as long as I'm caring about my weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating and intuitive eating sounded like hogwash to me. Alternative hippie *kitten*. Eating what I like and letting my body decide? Yeah, that's exactly why I'm overweight :s

I doubt the validity of this statement. First of all because "eating what I like" isn't the same thing as eating mindfully/intuitively. It's more about eating what you need than what you like. Paying attention to your body's needs rather than what your emotions or taste buds want at the moment. That's not to say that your food shouldn't taste good. Enjoying food should be a part of eating mindfully.
    I doubt it too. Hence the past tense and the rest of my story ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Doh! Epic reading comprehension fail on my part. I should stop pretending I don't need my glasses.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Doh! Epic reading comprehension fail on my part. I should stop pretending I don't need my glasses.
    Lol! I fear we are approaching "that" age, both of us. And my post was a wall of text :# I get so excited sometimes :D
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have a small example and many may have heard this. If you have food on your plate your mind and body say that you are full when the plate is empty. But plate sizes can differ! You trick yourself. If you take smaller plates you will eat less but will feel the same amount of full. Brian Wansink has a great book (mindless eating) about the psychology of eating. He discribes a lot of experiments he did with food and people. You cannot trust on your body to decide how much you have to eat. Funny one he did with people with short term memory loss. He kept inviting them for a lunch. At the third lunch the subjects starting eating less and say they werent that hungry that day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my intuition led me to get up to 260 pounds.

just sayin.

now, i can maintain my current weight (150) with intuition and eyeballing, but thats after 2 years of religiously weighing my food and knowing calorie counts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I currently use mindful eating, which is not the same thing as intuitive eating, as I understand it (my hunger is driven much more by habit or sometimes desire than actual physical hunger and even when actually hungry, as after a long bike ride, I can't intuit what I need, but my mind can tell and I will be satisfied with that).

I enjoyed counting, though, and didn't find it inconsistent -- being mindful worked fine for me with also logging and logging helped me get more mindful again, although I don't log anymore. I was never hungry or obsessed with food when logging.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My idea of mindful eating was getting the small combo at Wendy's every night after work instead of a large. Counting calories helped me realize that there was no reason to even get a combo, maybe just the sandwich and a diet soda or unsweetened iced tea, and only every so often. If I were to stop tracking, I don't doubt I'd start backsliding and convincing myself that everything I'd be doing is perfectly normal.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My idea of mindful eating was getting the small combo at Wendy's every night after work instead of a large. Counting calories helped me realize that there was no reason to even get a combo, maybe just the sandwich and a diet soda or unsweetened iced tea, and only every so often. If I were to stop tracking, I don't doubt I'd start backsliding and convincing myself that everything I'd be doing is perfectly normal.
    I think tracking is a perfectly fine way of practicing mindful eating.

Intuitive eating shouldn't be a goal. Good eating habits and food peace should be a goal.

I like the idea of having total "food peace".. never thought of it that way! :)