Intuitive/mindful eating

Options
2»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would really like to work in this. I have been logging for years and do not have a lot to show for it. My problem is I eat food that can't be logged accurately then I get in. The mindset well couldn't log that one item so might add well not log any thing today (this weekend) and eat all the food. I need to be more in control of my eating and be able to be okay even without the numbers.
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is where the Mfp app woaks, for me. I eat what I'm in the mood for, then log it after and the app counts calories etc for me, so I don't need to think about it.
    The exception is when I (remember to) total up at the end of the day and instead of saying 'in 5 weeks you'd weigh xxx pounds' it gives me the warning that I'm probably not eating enough.
    Usually this just means "you forgot to log something today- go back through your 'frequent' foods list for a hint". But if it's true, and my total calories for the day are significantly fewer than I ought to have, I go eat something, so I don't wake up starving at 5am.
    The actual calorie counting thing never did work for me.
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed everyone's responses! So intuitive eating works very well for me, but I've learned where it doesn't work well this past weekend. I think calorie counting may be important for social events that involve food. It's hard to properly eat intuitively at weddings or social gatherings with potluck style open food and where you are in fact distracted by the social environment and copious amounts of delicious food. The lessons I've learned in even a few weeks of mindful/intuitive eating has been incredibly eye opening and I actually think both strategies have their place.
  • jacksmom517
    jacksmom517 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YES! So glad to see this thread. I agree with all the above, and I can't wait to read through all the recommended reads. There are times when I'm in my zone and intuitively eat and lose or maintain my weight to find my happy place on the scale and feel great. There are times (every 28 days) when I need to track because there are just too many cheeseburgers on my way to/from work. Sometimes I track because stress can make me over or under eat, and I want to make sure I hit my macronutrients. Intuitive/mindful eating has led me to intermittent fasting (not every day) where I eat in a 6-8 hour window during the day. I also find I'm stronger at the gym if I workout in a fasted (but not totally glycogen depleted) state. I wonder if intermittent fasting (IF) and intuitive eating are opposite philosophies, (I flat out ignore hunger rather than confront my reasons for it when I IF). I feel great when I can IF, it's like hitting a reset button for my digestive system when I over-indulge, or am under a lot of physical/emotional stress at work. For mindful eating to be effective for me, I have to eliminate processed foods and fake sugars. I say use tracking and IE and IF- use all the tools you need to get to your goals. I don't think it's always as simple as a calories in/out balance (sorry MFP). The science behind a calorie measurement is ancient. I admire those that say that intuitive eating led to being overweight- that level of insight I think is what intuitive eating is all about.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For mindful eating to be effective for me, I have to eliminate processed foods and fake sugars. [...] I admire those that say that intuitive eating led to being overweight- that level of insight I think is what intuitive eating is all about.

Look at what you just wrote. I think this is crucial. I couldn't have learnt to recognize hunger and satiety cues and then trust my instincts to lead me to eat what I need in the appropriate amounts and in the right balance - without letting most of what I eat be real food. Because real food nourishes and satisfies. Junk food makes me excited, but never fulfills me. Diet foods fill me up, but never satisfies me.

My impression from the boards is that a majority of non-counting long time maintainers are basing their intake on real, home cooked food, with the occasional indulgence. Long time maintainers who still have to count, generally have a lot of cookies, ice cream etc in their diets. That is no coincidence.

Calories in - calories out is still valid, and trumps any diet preference, though.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I like to use the ancient Greek system called the Trivium: Knowledge => Understanding => Action. Once you have developed a deep understanding of the art and science of nutrition your behaviour will change of its own accord and will be in keeping with your understanding while appearing to be "natural" and instinctive. However, it is based on a deep understanding of scientific principles which leads to knowledge in action or "praxis". Logging food for several months gives you the "scaffolding" to develop new knowledge and acquire new habits. After a while you can remove the behavioural scaffolding because your behaviour becomes automatic and habitual.

Talking about your new behaviours in a new social context helps you to construct your new social identity based on more healthy eating practices. This period may also require you to forego and avoid unhealthy social settings and unhealthy eating cues. After a period of consciously and deliberately "acting out" healthy eating and exercising you develop new unconscious cues for healthy behaviours so that they become part of your identity. At this point you can re-expose yourself to former eating cues without feeling the need to act out (i.e. you can just say no thanks). Or you could say "yes". You won't be so rule bound and will appear spontaneous and intuitive. Like a jazz musician improvising in the moment - he looks free - indeed, he IS free and intuitive but his freedom is based on years of dedicated study, discipline and practice.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think mindful eating can work, but it is actually just another type of discipline and is a lot easier if you have done a lot of calorie counting before hand and know what it is you are putting in your mouth so you don't have surprise calorie bombs.
    I also think there are some people that may never get there, they need the discipline of calorie counting. Maybe they are emotional eaters or have attention issues or just don't have the internal discipline. Calorie counting is an easy choice for a lot of people as well and brings it own comfort. I think it really depends on a persons personality which one will work more comfortably for them.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I agree. Whatever works for YOU is the right approach. All approaches however, seem to require a certain amount of discipline and self-control.