Best way to peel a hard-boiled egg?

Options
13»

Replies

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I add salt to the pot while its boiling. I don't know if it makes a difference. Also, you could make a hole in the shell once its boiled, then slide a spoon underneath and peel the whole thing off. I usually do this after running the egg under cold water.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Using eggs that were more than two weeks old is the only consistent thing that has worked for me. I don't even bother anymore boiling fresher eggs.
    They were pretty easily to peel if i just cooked them in the Instant Pot.

I migbt make somw today and see if i need to bother with giving them an ice bath

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I can help! We struggled with this for years, no kidding. Best boiled eggs ever, and peel like a dream:

Boil the water on the stove first.

Add the cold eggs to the boiling water, return to a boil then reduce heat, simmer ten minutes.

Immediately plunge eggs into ice water (we drain them and them fill the pot with ice then water). Let them sit in the cold water for ten minutes or so to cool off.

They will peel easily, much better than starting them in cold water.

+1. I started using this method months ago. It works better than anything else I've ever tried, even with fresh eggs.
  • merges77
    merges77 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    mrmeza123 wrote: »
    Grab a jar with a lid and keep it filled with 2 ounces of cold tap water. Put two eggs inside with lid on. Shake for about 20 seconds. Open and take them out.

This. I've found it doesn't really matter how fresh my eggs are when I boil them. If I throw a boiled egg in a glass of water, cover the top, and shake for 20-30 seconds, the shell literally just slides off.