How much weight did/have you lost without exercising?

Options
My neighbor is trying to convince me that he lost 40 lbs just by watching his intake/eating healthier and cutting out soda. Can this be achieved? I would think it would only really work if the starting weight was high and if it was such a diet shock/caloric deficit to the body but wouldn't work otherwise? I don't know but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I went from 196 to 150.2 in about six months with nary a bit of physical activity, outside of walking to my truck, walking into our lab, and mostly sitting on my *kitten* all day. Lost a good amount of lean mass along with the bodyfat though.

For reference, I'm 31, male, and 5'10". Most of my cut was done at 1450-1550 kcals.
  • mdonsbach
    mdonsbach Posts: 102 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    24 pounds lost so far. I've watched my in take and started walking and that is it. Started 129 days ago.
  • lmejia1289
    lmejia1289 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing! Thanks for your input guys.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    22.5 lbs lost over the past 6 weeks without exercise. Weight loss is CICO. Now with that being said, I don't plan to stay like this. I plan on starting up certain workouts soon (sore shoulder right now) and lifting weights because I do not want to lose muscle and I want to tighten up as I drop pounds
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 pounds in just over a month by changing my diet due to health reasons. Although I'm going to start exercising when school starts up because free gym! Lol right now I just chase my 2 kiddos around and try to keep the house looking tame.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The most I exercise is walking for an hour a few times a week, if that. I just passed the 65 pound mark. My biggest change was to recognize a portion size - especially as I cook large meals and just take however much I want for dinner and then munch all night.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I initially lost all of my weight that way - 142 lbs down to 117 lbs. Later, I picked up exercise and did some bulk and cut cycles. Can't really say the weight loss was any easier with the exercise, though I sure looked better and had more energy (though I was also sore a decent bit of the time).
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 37 pounds in 70 days by cutting calories from 3400(maintain) to 2000 and walking a few times a week.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    100 lbs. Calorie In vs Calories out. Exercise is for other things but not losing weight.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    41lbs and I do nothing except normal daily routine of a busy working mum. Iv never done actual fitness excercize.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lmejia1289 wrote: »
    My neighbor is trying to convince me that he lost 40 lbs just by watching his intake/eating healthier and cutting out soda. Can this be achieved? I would think it would only really work if the starting weight was high and if it was such a diet shock/caloric deficit to the body but wouldn't work otherwise? I don't know but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Of course it can be achieved. What would prevent it? If he was drinking a lot of sugar sweetened soda cutting that alone could cause a significant drop in calories.

I personally have never lost an ounce without exercising but that's because I care about my health so I exercise whether I'm trying to lose weight or not.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Years ago I lost 35lbs just with diet alone. But, honestly did not like how I looked. I lost a lot of muscle mass doing it that way. I overall feel much better including weight training and a bit of cardio. I'm wearing clothes right now at 230lb that I wore then, at 210. And they are loose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Sure, you do not NEED to exercise to lose weight.

However, there are many many reasons to exercise.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/you-dont-need-to-do-one-iota-of-exercise-to-lose-weight-says-scientific-study-10197434.html

...Speaking to the BBC, Dr Malhotra said that an obese person does not need to do “one iota of exercise to lose weight,” they just needed to “eat less.”

However, Professor Mark Baker, of the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence, which recommends “well balanced diets combined with physical activity,” said that it would be “idiotic” to rule out the importance of physical activity.

Professor Susan Jebb, professor of diet and population health at Oxford University, told the Guardian: “The authors fail to note that that weight loss programmes which combine diet and physical activity are the most successful route to weight loss in both the short (three to six months) and medium term (12 months)”.

Catherine Collins, of the British Dietetic Association, said that the authors had “incomplete evidence” for their claims and that the doctors had downplayed the metabolic and physical health benefits of undertaking even moderately intense exercise.
  • lmejia1289
    lmejia1289 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I certainly plan on incorporating exercise, I already do as I know it's benefits, but I was really intrigued if the body could lose all that weight just by changing the diet. I figured a few lbs sure but not all that my neighbor and you guys have lost, that's amazing! I'm also aiming for a 30-40 lb loss.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    lmejia1289 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I certainly plan on incorporating exercise, I already do as I know it's benefits, but I was really intrigued if the body could lose all that weight just by changing the diet. I figured a few lbs sure but not all that my neighbor and you guys have lost, that's amazing! I'm also aiming for a 30-40 lb loss.

Without enough calories, you end up looking like one of those starvation models. So yeah, it can go even further than what most of us have done, even though that's not exactly recommended.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    43 down so far with very little exercise. All that's needed is a calorie deficit.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    20 without exercise , another 40 with. I'm sure if I tighten up my diet I could have done it without, but I'm enjoying the other benefits exercise give far too much.