How much weight did/have you lost without exercising?

Options

Replies

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    lmejia1289 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I certainly plan on incorporating exercise, I already do as I know it's benefits, but I was really intrigued if the body could lose all that weight just by changing the diet. I figured a few lbs sure but not all that my neighbor and you guys have lost, that's amazing! I'm also aiming for a 30-40 lb loss.

I'm confused why you would think it couldn't be done. Do starvation victims die looking fat, or did they exercise off all that weight?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My neighbor is trying to convince me that he lost 40 lbs just by watching his intake/eating healthier and cutting out soda. Can this be achieved? I would think it would only really work if the starting weight was high and if it was such a diet shock/caloric deficit to the body but wouldn't work otherwise? I don't know but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Of course it can be achieved...weight management is all about energy balance. Not exercising regularly just means your friend's maintenance level of calories would be lower which in turn would require him to eat less to lose weight than someone who did exercise regularly.

Exercise is for fitness and overall health and well being...it makes weight management easier in that it increases your energy output...but if you think about it, there are a lot of people who are just healthy and fit and lean and exercise regularly but they're not trying to lose weight...so exercise is not in and of itself for weight loss.
  • lmejia1289
    lmejia1289 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I certainly plan on incorporating exercise, I already do as I know it's benefits, but I was really intrigued if the body could lose all that weight just by changing the diet. I figured a few lbs sure but not all that my neighbor and you guys have lost, that's amazing! I'm also aiming for a 30-40 lb loss.

I'm confused why you would think it couldn't be done. Do starvation victims die looking fat, or did they exercise off all that weight?

Because I would think normal people aren't starving. They're eating their 3-6 meals a day meaning carbs, fat, protein so I wasn't sure HOW much one could really lose doing just that with no exercise. I never said it couldn't be done. I wasn't sure if all that weight loss was achievable. That's all. Thanks for your input.
  • lmejia1289
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    Height: 5'6.5"
    High weight: 238
    Starting weight: 230
    Current weight: 144.8

Except for about six weeks last summer walking 4-5 days a week, burning at most 100 calories per day, no exercise. No longer pre-diabetic, off two blood pressure meds and statin for cholesterol, blood pressure is normal to low-normal.

That's amazing good for you!!!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I went from 270 down to 235 with no exercise at all. I had pericarditis and was getting maybe 3000 steps a day.

I've now dropped to 171 with a combination of calorie counting and walking/hiking. I love getting out and stretching my legs, getting fresh air, and enjoying the outdoors. I also love that I get 200 - 400 calories extra to eat every day.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35lbs so far... zero exercise involved
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    lost 60lbs with just diet and still being a lazy pothead

then started lifting weights and look much better with another 30lbs gone and much of it fat rather than muscle and fat
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    10kg lost in 3 months. Next to zero excercise!
  • lmejia1289
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    lost 60lbs with just diet and still being a lazy pothead

then started lifting weights and look much better with another 30lbs gone and much of it fat rather than muscle and fat

Lol. Yes I'm sure with weights one starts to look real lean!

Thanks everyone for your input and congrats on all that awesome weight loss!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had 30lbs to lose, and lost 24 of those with zero exercise, I'm talking less than 4000 steps a day, i was very sedentary.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A few years back I dropped 40 lbs with absolutely no exercise. I'm actually exercising now and having a lot harder time losing weight. Not sure that its actually related - probably more the fact I'm old, but now that you bring it up I wonder....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A few years back I dropped 40 lbs with absolutely no exercise. I'm actually exercising now and having a lot harder time losing weight. Not sure that its actually related - probably more the fact I'm old, but now that you bring it up I wonder....

Ha Same here, I found it much easier to lose weight when i wasn't exercising, and all i do is walking which doesn't give me crazy appetite spikes.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've lost 72 lbs since Jan 4th, with no excercise. I still have 95 lbs to lose and have just started to incorporate walking only.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds without exercise. Just light walking. After that I decided to start doing cardio though. I'm down 48 now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lost my first thirty pounds when I was largely sedentary.
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 lbs from 5/27 until now with only sporadic, light exercise and all focus on reducing overall calories without cutting out of any particular food or food group!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    So far? I've gone from 281.4 pounds to 185.2 pounds with almost no exercise. I'll walk a few days on and off for a week then not do it again for four plus months because it's raining, or too hot, or "insert excuse here". :lol: I'm still losing so I'm not worried about it right now. I'll try to get some more in when I get a bike in about a month or two. My father is being kind enough to loan me the money for a bike as my reward to myself for crossing from the 'obese' to merely 'overweight' BMI threshold. Should be interesting. I haven't ridden a bike in over 30 years.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    5'4
    Starting weight 190lbs/86kg
    Current weight 152lbs/69kg
    No exercise but a busy job where I move quite a lot.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've lost 141 lbs since Christmas and have done no specific exercising. Its totally CICO.