How much weight did/have you lost without exercising?

Options

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To maintain a healthy weight long term you need 150 minutes per week of exercise, and to eat a healthy well balanced diet. If you are not at a healthy weight (over weight/obese) you should do 300 minutes per week, and learn how to eat a healthy well balanced diet.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can lose weight without exercising and by watching your food intake. I've lost 125 pounds doing that.....then gained back to where I am now because of several things - life, and just being "non-compliant" as a friend of mine says.

SEriously though - exercise is important, but it's so much more important to watch your food intake and focus on that first. There are foods that no amount of exercise in a day can make that amount of calories go away. Losing weight helps you look good - adding workouts can make you look REALLY good - gain stamina, etc.

Just ridding soda from your diet is not enough to really qualify - unless it was "full sugar'ed" soda, and he was drinking lots and lots a day.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »

Just ridding soda from your diet is not enough to really qualify - unless it was "full sugar'ed" soda, and he was drinking lots and lots a day.

That's not really accurate. If you drink 2L of soda a day that's over 800 Cals.... Every 10 days that's 8000 = just over 2lb cal deficit. That's 6lbs a month. It doesn't take long to add up.

• Giancarlolsx7
    Giancarlolsx7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The first 40lbs I lost I didn't step foot into a gym it was all clean eating. Took 3 months to lose the 40 now down 80 after going to the gym and eating clean.
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 15-20Ibs without exercise. I now do some jogging for 45-60mins a day and have lost another 14Ibs. I've been dieting for 48 days :)
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how this was done im disabled nad esersize is realy hard for me, Ive tried cutting back callories, mre and more, my body alwyas rebounds back to the same wieght , and eventualy ended up hungry all the time and worse fatigued , so started eating more again . it didnt matter. even did when I tried to exersize. I think its down to metabolism.

• TheNewMeForLife2015
    Options
    I've lost 50 pounds so far, just by counting calories and eating low carb.
    No exercising here.
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds by lowering my carbs alot.
    I don'the go to the gym or do sports but I walk my dogs a good hike in the countryside everyday. I did that anyway -for the dogs' benefit- so it might not count as exercise. And I am in more or less constant motion through the day, doing general things. Perhaps your friend is also this way?
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I started in January this year at 355 and have lost 88 pounds, just with changing eating (LCHF). No surgery, no drugs and WITHOUT exercise
  • Stingersquad1981
    Stingersquad1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes. Although exercising speeds weight loss your diet is the primary reason people with no medical issues gain weight. I take too many calories and don't burn enough you will find yourself heavier
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If I didn't exercise I'd only be able to eat a measly 1600-1700 calories. With my activity level (including exercise) I'm able to eat around 2100. It's much easier to spread my meals out that way and I can eat higher calorie meals.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If I didn't exercise I'd only be able to eat a measly 1600-1700 calories. With my activity level (including exercise) I'm able to eat around 2100. It's much easier to spread my meals out that way and I can eat higher calorie meals.
    I understand you saying measly, but I try to stay at 1500 cals and am not hungry. I am doing LCHF

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AliceAxe wrote: »
    I wish I knew how this was done im disabled nad esersize is realy hard for me, Ive tried cutting back callories, mre and more, my body alwyas rebounds back to the same wieght , and eventualy ended up hungry all the time and worse fatigued , so started eating more again . it didnt matter. even did when I tried to exersize. I think its down to metabolism.

I lost the majority of my weight doing Alternate day fasting. It's essentially dieting every second day, so one day you eat your TDEE, the next day eat 500 calories, next day TDEE, next day 500 and so on and so on. I did no exercise when i followed this plan. Look into it, it may be a good fit for you.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Some don't have to do anything but watch what they eat to lose a ton of weight but usually they still have more weight to lose after that. I only lost about 5 lbs so far without really exercising. Anything past those 5 lbs, I am going to have to start being more physically active.
  • katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I basically exercise so I can eat more. It just gives a little cushion.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I do no exercise other than walking my dog and have lost 100 pounds since February
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost the vast majority of my 107 pound WL with NO added exercise. Just the extra movement that naturally happens when you stop carrying around so many unwanted pounds. For my health, I joined a gym after losing 90 pounds, to build some strength and endurance. My WL didn't change at all with the added movement, but I FELT better, and can do things now I only dreamed of before starting to lose weight.

I'm a firm believer that most weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym. Most folks just can't exercise to make a huge different in pounds dropped.

Work out to FEEL better, and be stronger. Eat sensibly to lose weight. The two together are the Fountain of Youth.
  • White_hibiscus
    White_hibiscus Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    ashcky wrote: »
    I have lost 20 pounds in just over a month by changing my diet due to health reasons. Although I'm going to start exercising when school starts up because free gym! Lol right now I just chase my 2 kiddos around and try to keep the house looking tame.

love this post congrats on your 20lbs lost.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Have I lost weight without exercise? Yes. Smart move? Nope. In the end, I looked like a walking jello stick so I added lifting, sprinting, squats, lunges, etc and did bulk along with cut and recomp. Losing weight without exercise will only get you so far. And keep in mind, as you lose weight, your BMR decreases so sooner or later you're going to have to exercise to create a further deficit (unless you plan on eating a sad 800 calories a day).