Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Body fat % and cheat day tomorrow

Hi all I've been cutting since December when I was 15 stone and took a break from end of April until start of June and started again in June and I am finishing on Monday I am currently about 9st 12lb I think and will be looking to just maintain for now finally, more food lol! Can you estimate my current body fat percentage? My mate said about 14%? Is this an okay body fat % at my age/weight?

Also at what body fat % will my abs fully show as they are currently slightly showing especially in the light and what must I do to reach that % because I have been cutting for absolutely ages and I think I just need at least a month break eating at maintenance for my body before considering any further cutting?

Also it's my Saturday cheat day tomorrow and I have left 5000 calories available in my weekly calories limit and I definitely need it after cutting week by week because it's my day off from the gym and it's the only day I get to rest at home but I am stuck for choice between having a big oven pizza containing 1240 calories, a KFC 6 piece bargain bucket to share so 3 pieces of chicken each and 2 fries each about 1000 calories I think or a donner kebab? I think I'm really craving a donner kebab and I haven't had one since March which was ages ago but how bad are they actually? I've heard something about trans fat and that it's in donner kebabs and it transfers fat to your belly from other parts of your body, is that true? Also would it be OK to have one tomorrow because I don't have them all the time and last time I had one was March I only have it about 3 times a year so would it be OK tomorrow? Also how many calories would a medium donner kebab have?

Thanks all!

http://tinypic.com/r/24cz39v/9

http://tinypic.com/r/e7jcxu/9

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Really hard to judge anything from the picture, as we can't see your chest, clavicle, shoulders, neck, etc.

That being said, if you're nearing the end of your rope, popping into maintenance for some recomp wouldn't be a terrible idea anyway.

As for your other question, it's going to really depend. I've seen some kebabs as low as 1100 kcals, and some as high as 2400. Calories as well as trans fat content are going to vary wildly from place to place.
  • joseph4230
    joseph4230 Posts: 80 Member
    Really hard to judge anything from the picture, as we can't see your chest, clavicle, shoulders, neck, etc.

That being said, if you're nearing the end of your rope, popping into maintenance for some recomp wouldn't be a terrible idea anyway.

As for your other question, it's going to really depend. I've seen some kebabs as low as 1100 kcals, and some as high as 2400. Calories as well as trans fat content are going to vary wildly from place to place.

Can't you tell by my side and front as just an estimate? My mate said about 14% and the body fat scales said about 14%? I can get you a before/after picture also to compare how much I've lost since December?

Oh right well would 1250 calories be ok for a medium donner kebab as that's what I've left out for the cheat meal included in the cheat day? They are listed as 1000 calories on myfitnesspal app etc?

Also is there trans fat in all takeaways? Is it OK to have one tomorrow if I haven't had one since March? Also will it make my belly fat as I have heard trans fat moves fat to your belly from other parts of your body? Will that not happen if it's only a one off kebab? Thanks
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    So in 6 months,excluding May to June, you have lost 72lbs ?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    OP, if you want a kebab - then have a kebab. It will be one meal. If you have been in a deficit for a long time, it may be nice to have something you enjoy. It will not make you gain tons of fat - it may increase water weight for a bit if there is a lot of sodium in them.

And trans fats do NOT transfer fat from other parts of your body to your belly. They are not TRANSfer fats.
  • joseph4230
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    So in 6 months,excluding May to June, you have lost 72lbs ?

Yes about that so I think I've done really well, took a 6 week break from end of April to start to middle of June then resumed :)
  • joseph4230
    OP, if you want a kebab - then have a kebab. It will be one meal. If you have been in a deficit for a long time, it may be nice to have something you enjoy. It will not make you gain tons of fat - it may increase water weight for a bit if there is a lot of sodium in them.

And trans fats do NOT transfer fat from other parts of your body to your belly. They are not TRANSfer fats.

That's fantastic so trans fat do not store fat in your belly? I've seen on the Internet that even if your under your calories and you have a kebab you will still gain weight because it said trans fat stores fatty tissue in your belly? I found that a bit strange because it's always calories in vs calories out right? Yeah I always gain about 5lbs or so on my weekly cheat day but it comes off within a few days which is normal. Are you sure I can have a kebab is it like any other takeaway and what's your estimated calories for a medium donner kebab? Thanks :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You need to drastically slow down any weight loss and try to preserve your muscle more

Eat your kebab

You may need to work to put muscle there to see, impossible to tell BF % estimate with shots posted I'm afraid
  • sammyliftsandeats
    joseph4230 wrote: »

That's fantastic so trans fat do not store fat in your belly? I've seen on the Internet that even if your under your calories and you have a kebab you will still gain weight because it said trans fat stores fatty tissue in your belly? I found that a bit strange because it's always calories in vs calories out right? Yeah I always gain about 5lbs or so on my weekly cheat day but it comes off within a few days which is normal. Are you sure I can have a kebab is it like any other takeaway and what's your estimated calories for a medium donner kebab? Thanks :)

If you gain any weight from your cheat, it's likely water retention from the sodium that is usually found in takeaways. Here is an entry for a medium donner kebab:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kebab-shop-lamb-doner-kebab-medium-301g-300580000

It says 1000 calories. Now, obviously it is going to differ from place to place but you could look at all the different entries and choose an average, or aim high to account for any error.

The reason it varies is because not every place makes it the same, chicken kebab will be less than lamb, and it depends on if you add extras such as sauce and veggies on it.

Go enjoy your kebab. Drink some extra water to help with the sodium. And then carry on with what you are doing.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    why do people fall for trolls so easily
  • joseph4230
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You need to drastically slow down any weight loss and try to preserve your muscle more

Eat your kebab

You may need to work to put muscle there to see, impossible to tell BF % estimate with shots posted I'm afraid

Yes I am stopping my weight loss now and from Monday I am going to start maintaining eating at maintenance calories throughout the week but save some calories from Monday to Thursday so I can have extra calories Friday to Sunday to eat what I want whilst still eating at maintenance in my total weekly calories.

I am currently weightlifting for approximately 1 hour 3 days a week and cardio for about 45 mins 5-6 days a week.

Do kebabs definitely not transfer fatty tissue to your belly because of the trans fat oils in kebabs? I've seen it somewhere on the Internet but thought it'd be a lie or something as weight gain ans belly fat is down to excess calories and not trans fat, correct?

Thanks
  • joseph4230

If you gain any weight from your cheat, it's likely water retention from the sodium that is usually found in takeaways. Here is an entry for a medium donner kebab:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kebab-shop-lamb-doner-kebab-medium-301g-300580000

It says 1000 calories. Now, obviously it is going to differ from place to place but you could look at all the different entries and choose an average, or aim high to account for any error.

The reason it varies is because not every place makes it the same, chicken kebab will be less than lamb, and it depends on if you add extras such as sauce and veggies on it.

Go enjoy your kebab. Drink some extra water to help with the sodium. And then carry on with what you are doing.

Yes I always gain weight on cheat days but this is always water weight/sodium/salt as I'm never over my weekly calories so this ensures me it's not true weight gain and it comes off within a few days.

Yes myfitnesspal says 1000 calories but I have 1250 calories planned for a cheat meal within my cheat day so would that be OK? I always have about 4 litres of water on my cheat days as well to flush it all out etc and loads the next day also whilst then eating cleanly the following day onwards and this always works for me but would kebab be any different? Can you reassure me that I will not gain belly fat from a donner kebab and that the trans fat in the kebab doesn't transfer fatty tissue to your belly from other parts of your body? Thanks!
  • joseph4230
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    why do people fall for trolls so easily

Is the trans fat a lie then where it said the trans fat oils in kebabs transfers fatty tissue to your belly and it said regardless of calorie intake you'll still gain weight if you eat a kebab even if your under your calories for example? Is this all lies can you reassure me please that I won't gain sudden belly fat from a donner kebab? Thank you!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    https://www.fitwatch.com/blog/is-trans-fat-making-your-belly-fat

Is this one of the articles your friend read? Because there is nothing cited to support its claims.
  • joseph4230
    https://www.fitwatch.com/blog/is-trans-fat-making-your-belly-fat

Is this one of the articles your friend read? Because there is nothing cited to support its claims.

Yes that's the one the second paragraph which states "Trans fat has been clinically proven to cause weight gain, even when the participants were consuming a diet that didn’t include enough calories to maintain their weight. Trans fat not only triggers weight gain but it causes fat stored throughout the body to be transferred to the abdominal region. And there’s more."

Is this actually true or not?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    It says 'clinically proven' but then does not cite the studies that 'clinically prove it'.

I think you're okay and I feel you are over thinking this.
  • joseph4230
    It says 'clinically proven' but then does not cite the studies that 'clinically prove it'.

What does clinically proven mean? Does that mean it's not true? Is it fake?

I mean I find it very hard to believe that trans fats make you gain weight even being under your calories limit because weight gain is down to excess calories right and not trans fats?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Clinically proven means that they ran trials/experiments in a scientific setting to determine whether or not an idea is true or not. But without the proof (aka the research), then anyone can say it.

Weight gain is down to excess calories, yes. So if you stay under your calories, you will not gain weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

What does clinically proven mean? Does that mean it's not true? Is it fake?

I mean I find it very hard to believe that trans fats make you gain weight even being under your calories limit because weight gain is down to excess calories right and not trans fats?

Dude...it's one meal...in the grand scheme of things, it's irrelevant regardless.