Gaining muscle with bodyweight exercise

Options
I want to build muscle particularly quads and arms without much equipment. I have found push-ups to be great for arms but squats without weights have toned but not much in the way of building muscle. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    A bit of a weighty read, with some NSFW moments, but worth your time if all you want to do is bodyweight stuff.

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2015/07/you-dont-have-to-train-in-gym-to-be.html
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    tiptoppy wrote: »
    I want to build muscle particularly quads and arms without much equipment. I have found push-ups to be great for arms but squats without weights have toned but not much in the way of building muscle. Any suggestions?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

As long as you are providing progressive overload on your muscles and having adequate nutrition, then you can build muscles. It probbably just won't be as effective. I believe the you are your own gym has a program that can help with your goals.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Squats are cool, but have you tried lunges? Those do more for me than squats every time (with much less reps, even). Shallow and deep lunches each work different muscle groups. I have built muscle doing this (it's a little slow) but I have to increase reps each time or I'm just toning.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Pistol squats and shrimp squats. Also duck walks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Wow! pistol and shrimp squats look tough. I'm happy I can do goblet squats at my age. LOL!
  • tiptoppy
    tiptoppy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    avadahm wrote: »
    Squats are cool, but have you tried lunges? Those do more for me than squats every time (with much less reps, even). Shallow and deep lunches each work different muscle groups. I have built muscle doing this (it's a little slow) but I have to increase reps each time or I'm just toning.

I should have mentioned I want to build quads and glutes. Do lunges do as much as squats for glutes?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You can do glute bridges with a stability ball. Also, if there is anyone else around, you can do leg presses using another human as weight. Lay on the ground on your back and place your feet on their hips. Start off by having them just lean into you, then progress to fulling supporting their whole weight as they balance on your legs. You can have someone press down on your back as you do pushups, or press down on your hands as you do an overhead press kneeling on the ground, etc.

Oh, and if you have access to dumbbells, single leg deadlifts are great for hamstring/glutes. And Bulgarian Split squats can be done with dumbbells too.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    tiptoppy wrote: »

I should have mentioned I want to build quads and glutes. Do lunges do as much as squats for glutes?

Yes, lunges are pretty amazing for both, especially if you do something as simple as adding resistance by holding barbells in your hands, or wearing a weighted vest.