Does anyone else have this problem ?

Options
Okay so every time I work out at the gym I get extremely hungry to the point where I feel like binging on everything . I always eat 2 hours before working out , and I have a small snack afterwards but I'm still like "starving" I eat 1,300 calories a day .

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You probably need to eat those calories back. The calories MFP gives you are based on your daily activity level, not your added exercise.

ETA: Are you losing weight at the rate you want to lose?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What is your small snack after?
    What do you eat 2 hours before?

Can you just have a meal after working out?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You probably need to eat those calories back. The calories MFP gives you are based on your daily activity level, not your added exercise.

And this.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    What's your height/weight?

1300 calories might be too low.
  • champion818
    champion818 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I am 5'9 and 230 .
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I am 5'9 and 230 .

This is helpful. But knowing what you eat might give people some info to help answer as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I am 5'9 and 230 .

Eat more.

There is no reason on earth for you to be eating that little. You should be able to lose just fine eating (not netting) 1800 calories.
  • champion818
    Options

I am 5'9 and 230 .

This is helpful. But knowing what you eat might give people some info to help answer as well.

In the mornings I will have a nutri grain bar and some oatmeal , around 12 -1 I'll have lean cuisine , which ever one seems good at the moment with a slice of whole wheat bread and a snack , for dinner I'll have either another lean cuisine or soup and a snack .. That usually equivalents to 1,300 or less .. But I never go under 1,200 lol I would starve !
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I am 5'9 and 230 .

Eat more.

There is no reason on earth for you to be eating that little. You should be able to lose just fine eating (not netting) 1800 calories.

Agree with this. I'm 5'3" 204 and net around 1500-1600 calls/day, eating more than 1800 on hard workout days and am losing 1-1.5 pounds a week going on 2 months. I always eat a meal within an hour of 2 of a workout.

Good luck!
  • minime0424
    minime0424 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try eating your pre workout snack about 30 mins before your workout with like 10 oz of water, I've been there myself and that's what helped me immensely
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I'm 3" shorter and nearly 50lbs lighter, and I can lose on just under 1400 with no exercise (average around 1lb per week). I imagine you could eat a lot more than you do now and still lose - maybe not as fast as you might wish, but it's a marathon not a sprint. :) Eat at least a portion of your exercise calories too, you can always adjust things if you stop losing for a while (remembering that weight loss isn't linear and there may well be weeks you don't lose at all).

Your Lean Cuisines might not be very satisfying, either, so you might like to look at some recipe suggestions on the forums to see what else you could eat. Personally I find protein and fat more filling, but other people need lots of carbs for satiation or maybe they go for volume and fill up on veggies instead. Everyone is different and we all have to experiment to find what works for us. :)

Try a few different things and see what keeps you feeling full and happy - losing weight can be hard enough as it is, you don't need to be starving and miserable as well! Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,856 Member
    Options
    Eating more sounds like a good idea - at your height/weight/age Scooby's calculator says your BMR is 1889, which means you'd burn that much in a coma.

Besides that, I'm thinking you may not be getting enough protein for a young person in a steep calorie deficit who works out. I did a quick check on Lean Cuisine's web site, and the highest protein meal I found in their "high protein" section had 18 grams of protein, which is not much, and nothing else you mentioned sounds like a protein star. And it doesn't sound like you're getting many micronutrients, either (fruit & veg).

I'm 42 years older than you, 4 inches shorter, 110 pounds lighter, and I'd lose weight on 1800 calories daily. I'm guessing you would, too. I'd lose massively, probably close to 2 pounds a week, on 1300!

Granny sez: Don't rush the weight loss, stay strong, stay healthy, eat more, make some of it good protein, fruits, and vegetables!
  • champion818
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Eating more sounds like a good idea - at your height/weight/age Scooby's calculator says your BMR is 1889, which means you'd burn that much in a coma.

Besides that, I'm thinking you may not be getting enough protein for a young person in a steep calorie deficit who works out. I did a quick check on Lean Cuisine's web site, and the highest protein meal I found in their "high protein" section had 18 grams of protein, which is not much, and nothing else you mentioned sounds like a protein star. And it doesn't sound like you're getting many micronutrients, either (fruit & veg).

I'm 42 years older than you, 4 inches shorter, 110 pounds lighter, and I'd lose weight on 1800 calories daily. I'm guessing you would, too. I'd lose massively, probably close to 2 pounds a week, on 1300!

Granny sez: Don't rush the weight loss, stay strong, stay healthy, eat more, make some of it good protein, fruits, and vegetables!

Thankyou so much for all the information you provided me :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    One word. "Protein"
  • laurencole103
    laurencole103 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I work out in the afternoon because that works better for me with 2 small children, 15-30 minutes after a workout I like to have a protein shake which delivers 56g of protein to keep me full since I then have to make dinner and feed both kids before I get to sit down to eat dinner!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I work out in the afternoon because that works better for me with 2 small children, 15-30 minutes after a workout I like to have a protein shake which delivers 56g of protein to keep me full since I then have to make dinner and feed both kids before I get to sit down to eat dinner!

Not wanting to be nit picky, but you would get a greater benefit if you split that 56g protein in 2. The body can only efficiently process a max of 30-35g at a time.

Cheers, h.
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    How about fruits and veggies?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

I am 5'9 and 230 .

Feeling hungry is normal after working out but that is very low amount of calories for that weight.
  • dannyraffs253
    dannyraffs253 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For the body to function it needs around 1800 calories for a woman and 2000 for a man which changes based on age and activity level. There are plenty of websites that will give you more info. If you eat less your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto every thing it can so it's then hard to lose. When you eventually fail or give up the diet due to it being unsustainable then the pounds go on much faster. Stick to the calorie intake suggested on the app and you should lose weight gradually and keep it off.