Tips for 1st 5k

I have my first 5k coming up on the 20th. I will be walking this one as I'm totally overweight and just stated a better lifestyle that includes walking. 50 days ago I couldn't walk to my car without huffing and puffing.

Any tips? I'm a bit nervous.

Replies

• JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Just enjoy yourself. There will be super fit runners all the way to those less fit than you. The best advice is to get towards the rear at the start. As a walker you don't want to slow down the runners. Do your best and get a base line. Next year when you do this same race you can try to beat your time from this year.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    JoeCWV wrote: »
    Just enjoy yourself. There will be super fit runners all the way to those less fit than you. The best advice is to get towards the rear at the start. As a walker you don't want to slow down the runners. Do your best and get a base line. Next year when you do this same race you can try to beat your time from this year.

I read this as get towards the start and was like "No!". But yes, all of this. Start at the back and have fun. That's about it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Thanks for the tips. I have a small fear that I will come in dead last:).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    What kind of tips are you looking for? Have you walked 3 point something miles before?
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited August 2016
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. I have a small fear that I will come in dead last:).

As someone who has been dead last more than once I can tell you there is nothing to fear from it. I doubt you will be but even if you are, you still finished. That alone is an achievement.
    Like you said, 50 days ago you couldn't walk to your car without getting out of breath. Now you are going to finish a 5k walk. Where you finish is irrelevent.

As the saying goes, you are still lapping everyone on the couch.
  • leanjogreen18
    Yes I've done a 3 mile mall walk so indoor flat surface and a 3 mile outdoor paved trail walk in the national park. Both times I had a restroom available from all the water I was drinking. There is a 60% chance of rain which I've never walked in the rain before.

The route is classified as easy/moderate. I drove the route and there are 2 long but small inclines.

Should I walk the route now or not?
  • arditarose
    Yes I've done a 3 mile mall walk so indoor flat surface and a 3 mile outdoor paved trail walk in the national park. Both times I had a restroom available from all the water I was drinking. There is a 60% chance of rain which I've never walked in the rain before.

The route is classified as easy/moderate. I drove the route and there are 2 long but small inclines.

Should you walk it...as opposed to run it? Or not do it all?

Walk it. I'm sure you can do it :)
  • leanjogreen18
    Sorry should I walk the route now before the race? I live near the race route so I don't know if I should go walk it or just walk it the first time on race day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited August 2016

What would make you feel better? I am certain you are good either way but if walking it first will boost your confidence then do it. Rain is nothing. If it is warm, it will be an advantage as it will cool you.
    You've got this.
  • arditarose
    Sorry should I walk the route now before the race? I live near the race route so I don't know if I should go walk it or just walk it the first time on race day.

If you want, sure. I try to walk at least that much every day myself so I'd always say "yes" to that.
  • leanjogreen18
    Ok thanks. I'm consistently walking 2 miles 3 to 4 times a week outdoors so I know I can do it I guess I'm just nervous for no real reason.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Just enjoy it! I have a 5k next week - I never do any prep. I really should. But they're always fun. I don't worry about time. Go! Have fun! That's it!
  • arditarose
    Ok thanks. I'm consistently walking 2 miles 3 to 4 times a week outdoors so I know I can do it I guess I'm just nervous for no real reason.

You got this! No reason to be nervous if you've been walking that much!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Tips?

Take some water with you. We're in the Dog Days of summer [at least in the states] stay hydrated.

Have Fun.

get a good baseline. You'll end up with a "First 5K time" and it will give you something to beat down the road.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Take water. Wear a hat. Be friendly. Have fun!
  • leanjogreen18
    Thank you everyone!!! I just got back from a 3 mile trail walk in drizzling rain so my confidence is much better today!!! You all rock!!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Sure, why not walk it before the event? I walked my first 5k 2 years ago. I was dead last with 2 friends who were supporting me. It's ok, because 2 months before that I could barely walk 1/4 mile. There is no shame in finishing last and lots to celebrate. You beat everyone else in town who's home sitting on the couch. I've done several 5ks and 10ks since then. This same race is coming up in 2 weeks, when I will run all or most of the course. How cool is that? Go for it and have fun!!
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    As someone who has never finished in any position but dead last, I tell myself this makes my eventual success story much more inspiring. :)

I would absolutely positively without a doubt walk the exact route first. Be prepared for it to be a bit harder than you expect; I tend to up my pace when I am walking with others at these things, in a futile effort to keep up, so I end up much more winded, red-faced, and sweaty than I do when I walk the same distance alone. Recovery is also longer.

Remember to be proud. It can be a little discouraging, when you've made all this personal progress and have come so far, to suddenly be surrounded by people who are much, much further along in their journey than you are. I felt like a million bucks at the starting line of my first 5K; I felt like a complete loser unworthy of being there when I finished so late that there wasn't even an official finish line set up anymore.

I am not trying to be negative. I am trying to be realistic. Doing a 5K is a wonderful, fantastic thing that I am very glad I've done, and which I plan to continue to keep doing... but it is not all sunshine and rainbows, either, and I think it's important to prepare for some of the less than glittery parts of it all.

Enjoy. Be proud. Celebrate!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    It can be a little discouraging, when you've made all this personal progress and have come so far, to suddenly be surrounded by people who are much, much further along in their journey than you are. I felt like a million bucks at the starting line of my first 5K; I felt like a complete loser unworthy of being there when I finished so late that there wasn't even an official finish line set up anymore.

Last night Mo Farah finished the 10,000m 22 minutes faster than my best 10K time. Doesn't mean much.

The winner of the last marathon I ran was 30 minutes slower than my boss ran London in. Only one person less than four hours, I did it in six hours, It was a very tough marathon.

I'd take a material point from what you're saying, check whether there is a cut time and adjust accordingly.

We're all at different places. But we can't let that disrupt us.