Tips for 1st 5k

2»

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    "Last night Mo Farah finished the 10,000m 22 minutes faster than my best 10K time. Doesn't mean much."

That 10K was faster than my best 5K. Still doesn't mean much. The only one I race against is me. Your first 5K will be a personal best. You'll get better from there. You're better than you were, and, yet, not as good as you will be. As long as you are enjoying the journey, improvement will come.

Be careful with signing up for events, It is addictive. After my first 5K in 25 years, I immediately enter another 5K, a 4 miler and a Half Marathon. The 4 miler is this Saturday. The Half Marathon is Sept 25. Longest training run to date has been 13 miles. At least I'll make the cut off (3:15 cut off; 13 mile training run 2:52, it was hot and humid, Had to walk the last mile and a half. Still came in with 13:08 average miles)

Just keep moving ;-)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    have fun, stay to the right, start closer to the back to avoid all the speed demons
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    It's coming up this Saturday so send me positive vibes!!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Enjoy and remember to breathe.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    johunt615 wrote: »
    It's coming up this Saturday so send me positive vibes!!!

Don't overthink it. You've done the distance, and it will literally be a walk in the park. Just enjoy it as if it wasn't a race at all, and you'll be fine. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Thanks for the tips. I have a small fear that I will come in dead last:).

Someone has to be first and someone has to be last. Being last is better than not finishing and not finishing is better than not starting.

The world record time for a full marathon is about 7 minutes faster than my best half-marathon time, I don't lose any sleep over it! :D
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    I am a decent runner. I typically place 1st or 2nd in my AG. About 5 years ago, I decided to do a duathlon (run, bike, run). I am not a cyclist. I finished dead last. I survived, and no one looked down on me. It was still a great experience and I'm glad that I did it. Trust me, everyone will be running their own race. Have fun!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Even if you are last, being last is better than never starting. I am always among the later finishers of any longer race I run. You will have gotten your full money's worth out of the entry fee! :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Also, as a runner, I will add that when I see walkers, I think, "Good for them for getting out and being active!" No judgment about pace or finishing time.
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    Have fun and go at your own pace. When I do 5k's, I try not to match others speed and only focus on my speed. If you come in last, no one will judge you, the feeling of just crossing the finish line is great! I kinda want to sign up for a 5k now haha! Good luck!!!!
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Well done! Was it the Bear Grylls 5k? I did that today and it was my first. I think I was pretty much dead last!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Update....

I finished!!!!
    I also finished under and hr @ 57:55

Thanks for your tips and encouragement!!!!!

Great time, congrats!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited August 2016
    Well done! Was it the Bear Grylls 5k? I did that today and it was my first. I think I was pretty much dead last!

No it was the Volcano Rainforest Run. I was totally prepared to be helping staff pick up cones but you should have seen me shift into high gear when I could see the finish line time was 57:00. I didn't know these old bones could move so fast after walking 3 miles.

@julesloveland Congrats on your first!!! I've already signed up for my 2nd next month.

@lorrpb thanks!!!! I'm pretty proud and ready for the next one (well after some ice and rest:)).

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member

No it was the Volcano Rainforest Run. I was totally prepared to be helping staff pick up cones but you should have seen me shift into high gear when I could see the finish line time was 57:00. I didn't know these old bones could move so fast after walking 3 miles.

@julesloveland Congrats on your first!!! I've already signed up for my 2nd next month.

@lorrpb thanks!!!! I'm pretty proud and ready for the next one (well after some ice and rest:)).

Just the name makes me want to do it! I pick my events based on the scenic route!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Take it easy and enjoy the process! Put on your favorite music and have fun! Do not push yourself and do not worry which place you finish. Even if you were to finish last there will be people that will not finish at all, trust me. Your goal should be the finishing line and not finishing place or time. The time you will cross the line you will be filled with a sense of achievement like never before! On next 5k try to beat your time and get a better one.